Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 6th November 2017

Liked 3,325 Times in 1,543 Posts
Moved from General Photography - Filters

Tell me about these filters.........

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46528

I don't have any, and unsure why they are used. I understand you can use dark filters to be able to expose correctly over several seconds, presumably for milky water effects.....

TIA....

My Flickr
Old 6th November 2017

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,281 Times in 1,082 Posts
Re: Filters

Mark what I bought from timboo was a set of Formatt Hitech graduated filters. They were 0.3, 0.6 & 0.9 density with hard and soft graduation lines. Basically they allow you to darken the sky in a landscape shot to various degrees to allow better exposure balance between sky and ground whilst actually in the field rather than fiddle in processing afterwards. I don't use them a lot as they are a bit of a faff when you are out but can be very useful on occasion. As we were discussing Lightroom and other post processors can also add the same effect in processing. For me I'll probably use both methods depending on how I feel at the time.
Old 6th November 2017

Liked 3,325 Times in 1,543 Posts
Re: Filters

Thanks for that...

I tend to use the post processing method, and I think would find it a bit fiddly to put filters on, and get them the right way round..........

My Flickr