Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 28th July 2017

Liked 125 Times in 84 Posts
Lee seven5 system experience?

Im currently sat on a beach with plenty of time on my hands. Ive spent half a day researching the Lee seven5 filter system reading reviews and watching you tube.

One video which stood out was by Steve Gosling. The video is of a landscape shoot at various locations from sea to waterfalls to the countryside. Rather than a review as such it demonstrates the capabilities and quality of the kit. Not to mention he is an Olympus user as most are already aware.

Here is link to it

After watching this video it tempted me to not look any further and take the plunge (he is either paid to use Lee or just damn good at videos). Then my conscience kicked in and told me to do some more research before blowing a daft amount of cash.

All the other reviews online praise the Lee system and a common opinion on the reviews is that people buy other systems then eventually buy Lee long term (surely very subjective).
Obviously the price of Lee is very very expensive I get that, however are all these people biased or do other brands like Formatt Hitech for example produce equally as good results?
I have looked at reviews comparing the 2 but they are fairly old when Hitech were not using better quality holders etc, and firecrest seem equally as expensive these days.

I'd really love to hear peoples experiences on here primarily owners of Lee seven5 but if not a comparative system recommendation.

Thanks

Tim

P.S I currently use Hoya round filters, which are good as a quick carry around but limited.
Old 28th July 2017

Liked 1,425 Times in 320 Posts
Re: Lee seven5 system experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
Im currently sat on a beach with plenty of time on my hands. Ive spent half a day researching the Lee seven5 filter system reading reviews and watching you tube.

One video which stood out was by Steve Gosling. The video is of a landscape shoot at various locations from sea to waterfalls to the countryside. Rather than a review as such it demonstrates the capabilities and quality of the kit. Not to mention he is an Olympus user as most are already aware.

Here is link to it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N6zBvaG0dDY

After watching this video it tempted me to not look any further and take the plunge (he is either paid to use Lee or just damn good at videos). Then my conscience kicked in and told me to do some more research before blowing a daft amount of cash.

All the other reviews online praise the Lee system and a common opinion on the reviews is that people buy other systems then eventually buy Lee long term (surely very subjective).
Obviously the price of Lee is very very expensive I get that, however are all these people biased or do other brands like Formatt Hitech for example produce equally as good results?
I have looked at reviews comparing the 2 but they are fairly old when Hitech were not using better quality holders etc, and firecrest seem equally as expensive these days.

I'd really love to hear peoples experiences on here primarily owners of Lee seven5 but if not a comparative system recommendation.

Thanks

Tim

P.S I currently use Hoya round filters, which are good as a quick carry around but limited.

Hi Tim,

I bought a set of Lee Seven5 filters from another board member, I was a bit slow and missed out on the polarizer however, I do plan to buy one of these.

I have very little experience of landscape photography or the use of filters however, I found the Seven5 system easy to use.

I took a few landscape images with the filters on a trip to Scotland earlier this year, despite my lack of experience I was pleased with the results.

I'm hoping Lee produce a holder which will allow the use of the Seven5 system with the Olympus MZ 7-14mm.

Dave
Old 28th July 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
Hi Tim,

I'm hoping Lee produce a holder which will allow the use of the Seven5 system with the Olympus MZ 7-14mm.

Dave
It seems Cokin have designed a holder for the 7-14mm for their system so it's possible that Lee may do the same. It does seem a massive device though.

http://www.43rumors.com/page/4/

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 28th July 2017
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

I do fancy getting some of these filters and having a play with longer exposures

And he does do a clear explanation

However that first picture he takes is for me a complete fail at the end with the really distracting chunk of foliage in the upper right just out from centre that has clearly been moving a lot and i find really distracting

I am sure I have seen better here :-) and I am keen to hear more

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 28th July 2017

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
It seems Cokin have designed a holder for the 7-14mm for their system so it's possible that Lee may do the same. It does seem a massive device though.

http://www.43rumors.com/page/4/

Regards.
It takes the XL size Cokin filters which are 130mm square, the grads are 130mm x 170mm IIRC.

There will never be a holder for 75mm filters on the 7-14mm, they aren't big enough.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 29th July 2017

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

Lee also have a adapter it's about 90 then you need there 100 holder and filters. It's a pain if like me you already have the smaller filters.
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 29th July 2017
Senior

Liked 158 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
However that first picture he takes is for me a complete fail at the end with the really distracting chunk of foliage in the upper right just out from centre that has clearly been moving a lot and i find really distracting
That's exactly what I thought, and I find it very distracting.

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
Old 29th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
Hi Tim,

I bought a set of Lee Seven5 filters from another board member, I was a bit slow and missed out on the polarizer however, I do plan to buy one of these.

Dave
The polariser is around 180 ouch :-) no wonder you holding out.
Old 29th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
I do fancy getting some of these filters and having a play with longer exposures

I am sure I have seen better here :-) and I am keen to hear more

Regards
Andy
Me too hopefully someone here will have perfected the use of this system. I have to say I like the ease of use of the system seems very easy to swap filters over and also attach the holder.
Strangly after pricing up Formatt Hitech to get 6 stop ND and 10 ND Lee are much cheaper.
How do you find the dimensions of the Lee grads as some reviews say they could do to be a tad longer? Not sure its a deal breaker for me.
Old 30th July 2017

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

I still sometimes use the Norton-Nisi system with the 7-14, but I sold off my smaller Lee system and have standardised on Hoya screw-ins from the Pro series. Mainly because the Lee system is such a massive faff: there's enough to carry and fiddle with in the typical UK dim dawn light, wind and driving rain without hanging all that off the front to catch the breeze!

I find the latest Hoya Pro filters have even less of a colour cast than the Lees. They are also very much cheaper and smaller to carry.

Yes you can't use grads, but the increased dynamic range of the E-M1ii helps, and I just take care over the base exposure and shoot a quick 3-shot, 2 stop HDR series and do a bit of blending if there's too much DR for Capture One to cope. I'm interested to try Paul's dodging long-exposure technique as well, but haven't yet.

I have invested in 2 sets for the landscape lenses I use (58, 72mm in POL, 2, 3, 6 and 10 stop) but you could just get a set of the largest diameter and use a step ring.

One big advantage of screw in filters on mirrorless bodies is that you don't have to take them off to focus when you've got a 6 or 10 stopper on the front, which understandably makes them more of a faff for DSLR owners.

Here's one as an example: the only hassle IMHO is working out how Hoya's naming methodology compares to Lee's 0.6, 0.9 etc!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-58-Pro...s=hoya+58mm+nd

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 30th July 2017

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I still sometimes use the Norton-Nisi system with the 7-14, but I sold off my smaller Lee system and have standardised on Hoya screw-ins from the Pro series. Mainly because the Lee system is such a massive faff: there's enough to carry and fiddle with in the typical UK dim dawn light, wind and driving rain without hanging all that off the front to catch the breeze!
Flashback to a recent blog post where I had a rant about the current Formatt Hitech filter pouch and how useless it is when you're trying to find the filter you want in the half light of dawn.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 30th July 2017

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

I have read recently can't remember where that the lee system for the 7-14pro is best not used at the 7mm end as the corners are darker(vineting) caused by the adapter can anyone confirm?
Kind regards Mike
Old 31st July 2017

Quote:

One big advantage of screw in filters on mirrorless bodies is that you don't have to take them off to focus when you've got a 6 or 10 stopper on the front, which understandably makes them more of a faff for DSLR owners.

Here's one as an example: the only hassle IMHO is working out how Hoya's naming methodology compares to Lee's 0.6, 0.9 etc!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-58-Pro...s=hoya+58mm+nd
Thanks for your sharing your experience.
I will retain my Hoya filters as I totally agree with size and ease of use when they fit certain situations.
I have not tried the HDR route albeit I have the em1 mk1.

My weakness is being bothered to edit a lot of the time which is another reason I like the Lee idea.

How do your HDR results compare to using your old filter system?
Old 31st July 2017

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
Thanks for your sharing your experience.
I will retain my Hoya filters as I totally agree with size and ease of use when they fit certain situations.
I have not tried the HDR route albeit I have the em1 mk1.

My weakness is being bothered to edit a lot of the time which is another reason I like the Lee idea.

How do your HDR results compare to using your old filter system?
Well I actually did much more HDR/exposure blending when I had a mki. Quite often I couldn't be bothered to take the filter gubbins with me in the first place!

Since I got the Mkii I have used HDR/blending now only 3 times, and one of those was actually to get more detail in parts of an image and I could probably have got the same effect from a single frame with Detail Extractor in Nik. Maybe it's the sort of landscape photography I do, but I've always used NDs and the POL a huge amount more than grads, and that was another factor in my giving up on the Lees.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 31st July 2017

Quote:
Well I actually did much more HDR/exposure blending when I had a mki. Quite often I couldn't be bothered to take the filter gubbins with me in the first place!

Since I got the Mkii I have used HDR/blending now only 3 times, and one of those was actually to get more detail in parts of an image and I could probably have got the same effect from a single frame with Detail Extractor in Nik. Maybe it's the sort of landscape photography I do, but I've always used NDs and the POL a huge amount more than grads, and that was another factor in my giving up on the Lees.
Agree re the dynamic range when I took a recent picture of a castle on a hill compared to an eos 6D mine with polariser looked really flat. Difficult to compare but quite a bit better. Im yet to try the mii purely because it would equal an early divorce.
mkii would not get under the wifes radar whereas the filter system might hehe. I still love my mki so suppose its striking the balance for me.
In relation to the NIK tools did you find them any good for this purpose, I have them but only really tried them briefly.