Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 6th May 2017

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,948 Times in 1,938 Posts
Re: No Manual Focus Assist with the 17mm 1.8???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingdrum View Post
I'm making much more of a fuss than the problem warrants. It's just that it took me a bit by surprise when I put the lens on. I have the 12-100 and the clutch works great on that. I just thought and wanted the 17mm to work in the same way.
I did look at the A7 but came across this really interesting article which drives home the pointlessness of full frame mirrorless cameras and it made a lot of sense to me so I went for the micro 4/3:
https://petapixel.com/2016/04/04/son...fatal-mistake/

Like I said in a previous post, I have a full frame DSLR (D700) along with ALL the lenses (I've been shooting for nearly 50 years) along with a Leica rangefinder (film), Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya etc etc all of which I still use. I have been using a fuji x100t as a keep in the pocket camera.
I'm going on my honeymoon to Indonesia in a couple of months so I wanted to take something more versatile than the x100t but my new wife would not appreciate me lugging around my usual bag of bodies and lenses so opted for the OMD-1 MK2 with the 12-100. Before it arrived I kept my expectations of the system realistic as it's an MFT system with a lens with such a broad focal range but took it to Madrid last week a couple of days after I got the camera and I have to say I'm really blown away by the results. Not just the image quality but the usability of the camera as well. The MF assists are fantastic and histogram design is great (so much better than the fuji). I decided when I returned I will be using the OMD much more than I thought hence buying as walk around lens and using it in place of the x100t. Despite my moaning I love the camera and I'm waiting for the 20mm 1.7 to arrive to replace the 17mm which I sent back (20mm will suit me much more then 17mm).
Ah, OK - I understand the context much better now! I too have the E-M1ii plus 12-100 and I totally agree what a great combination it is. The results are really spectacular. Much better than I was expecting. Despite its size I'm now finding I'm using it a lot. Amazing lens for daytime use.

As regards the 20mm/1.7 - that's a great lens too. AF is pretty slow - but it sounds like that won't bother you

Enjoy the honeymoon in Indonesia - don't forget to post some pictures for us when you get back!
Portfolio Site
Instagram

Tags
17mm