Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 17th November 2016

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts
Re: Taylor Wessing winners

Hey Folks - Just what is Photography about? I seem to remember that it was originally about a RECORD of things. So I agree all that stuff in the Wessing Awards was sooo up...
Old 17th November 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

I've come to the conclusion that Taylor Wessing, Master of Photography, etc., is much more about "artists" that can't paint, than it is about good quality, technically excellent photography.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (18th November 2016), Naughty Nigel (18th November 2016)
Old 18th November 2016

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts

Of the brand-sponsored photo competitions I go to regularly, I'd recommend the Sony awards as attracting a wide range of often-challenging submissions and (IMHO) being willing to make awards to non-corporate-friendly images in a range of categories. I always try to go to the show at Somerset House in May.

Is anyone else enjoying the Artist of the Year series on Sky Arts?

'Landscape' is currently in its second season, and they did a 'Portrait' one a couple of years ago. It's presented in a light-hearted and unpretentious style by Joan Bakewell and Frank Skinner. I find it fascinating to see the different ways painters (and sometimes those working in other media) envision and then build up their works*.

It's so different from the pretentious, obfuscated rubbish that characterized that Masters of Photography series.

[* I also find Kate Bryan, one of the judges, very easy on the eye, which helps...]

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 18th November 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
This is absolutely great!

Does your daughter know the work of Cindy Sherman the American photographer:

https://www.artsy.net/artwork/cindy-...till-number-84

Well worth exploring I would suggest.

She might also be interested to see the 1970s Feminist photography exhibition at the Photographers Gallery in London if she hasn't been: http://thephotographersgallery.org.u...6-8-january-20
[Some of us grizzled ageing male members of this forum might find that show to be a bit over-obsessed with female bodily functions, but it does honestly also contain some really superb images!]
Thanks Mark,

She has been to the exhibition, but I'm not sure if she is familiar with the work of Cindy Sherman. I'll pass her the link.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (18th November 2016)
Old 18th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Maybe my daughter should enter next year. This is a self portrait she took recently as part of a project depicting the repression and stereotyping of women for her A level course. She did her make-up herself, to achieve a manikin like appearance and reinforced this by sewing thread onto the print to represent puppet strings. I think she did quite well, not least for manoeuvring the tripod in our tiny kitchen!

I find it sad that even in 2016, women/girls whatever, should feel that still they are regarded as a stereotype. Zuiko - This is NO WAY a comment about your daughter and her 'record of the human condition'. And it's a great Photograph - made me THINK

Last edited by iso; 18th November 2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Addition
Zuiko (18th November 2016)
Old 18th November 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
I find it sad that even in 2016, women/girls whatever, should feel that still they are regarded as a stereotype. Zuiko - This is NO WAY a comment about your daughter and her 'record of the human condition'. And it's a great Photograph - made me THINK
Personally, I think in Western society we have made tremendous progress regarding the rights and treatment of women - after all it is less than 100 years since women gained the right to vote in the UK. To me it seems bizarre in the extreme that women were ever excluded, but there we are. Unfortunately there are still men who stereotype women, or exploit or abuse them and the new POTUS elect certainly represents a significant step backwards in this respect. What happens in America is bound to eventually influence attitudes in Britain. Ironically, my daughter is one of the most untypical young women you could ever meet.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th November 2016

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately there are still men who stereotype women, or exploit or abuse them and the new POTUS elect certainly represents a significant step backwards in this respect. What happens in America is bound to eventually influence attitudes in Britain.
In the interests of balance, it would also be true to say that there are quite a few women who stereotype men, but that is another story.

With regard to the USA, I would say that American society was some way behind Europe and the UK in many respects, even before the recent presidential elections.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Zuiko (19th November 2016)
Old 19th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
In the interests of balance, it would also be true to say that there are quite a few women who stereotype men, but that is another story.

With regard to the USA, I would say that American society was some way behind Europe and the UK in many respects, even before the recent presidential elections.
Totally agree with you on both points.
Old 19th November 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

Us men are pretty good at stereotyping ourselves. I once overheard a conversation between two male colleagues, which went like this:-

"Women, hey. Still, what would we do without them?"

Without even thinking, the second bloke replied, "Oh, drink more beer and watch more football."

See what I mean? Us guys are much less complicated. If humans came with an instruction manual, two pages would be dedicated to men and 150 pages to women.

Now who's stereotyping?

Old 19th November 2016

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Us men are pretty good at stereotyping ourselves. I once overheard a conversation between two male colleagues, which went like this:-

Without even thinking, the second bloke replied, "Oh, drink more beer and watch more football."

See what I mean? Us guys are much less complicated. If humans came with an instruction manual, two pages would be dedicated to men and 150 pages to women.

Now who's stereotyping?
But then some women would say that every man has three faults:
Everything we think;

Everything we say; and,

Everything we do.
My wife would probably add three more;
Things that men don't think about;

Things that men never say; and,

Things that men always forget to do.
I should add, these criticisms are made even before I have forgotten to do anything!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (20th November 2016), Zuiko (19th November 2016)
Old 20th November 2016

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Do like the second in the TW
and do like Zuiko daughters image

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Zuiko (20th November 2016)
Old 20th November 2016

Quote:

Now who's stereotyping?
Er John - There is no Manual for a Woman - You can't 'instruct' them
Zuiko (20th November 2016)