Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 16th November 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts
Re: Taylor Wessing winners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
Hang on guys! All of them are not that bad. Especially the profile image to be seen on this NPG page.

http://www.npg.org.uk/whatson/twppp-2016/exhibition.php

Just returned home from the NPG, with a warm glow from having my photo selected. First time entry and using my wonderful OM-D EM-5. Even you hardened blokes would have had a lump in the throat to have seen a wonderful image taken by a young man confined to a wheelchair with severe physical and other difficulties. Simply amazing and life affirming.

Oh, and one more thing, I printed 44 x 33cms for the exhibition not daring to go bigger. I needn't have worried, it looks great at about 6ft x 8ft at the exhibition entrance.

One happy feller.

David
To be honest, Dave, from the entries I've seen so far yours should have won by a country mile. Well done!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Crazy Dave (16th November 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bilbo (17th November 2016), Crazy Dave (16th November 2016), Naughty Nigel (16th November 2016), shenstone (16th November 2016)
Old 16th November 2016

Liked 250 Times in 127 Posts

Last night's award ceremony. Can't tell you what that felt like seeing my entry displayed as a banner. Wife's iPhone

Our very own Norman Smith in the foreground. Looking forward to seeing his pics. Thank you John

David
Old 16th November 2016

Liked 250 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
I don't understand. I just don't understand why this image won.

http://www.npg.org.uk/whatson/twppp-...on_B&promo=389
Hi Brian

Here is an excerpt from the NPG News Release today announcing the winner Claudio Rasano.

"The winning Portrait, part of Rasano's series 'Similar Uniforms: We refuse to compare' was taken in February 2016, in Johannesburg, South Arica and focuses on issues of preserving individuality in the context of school uniforms. The photograph was shot in daylight, outdoors and in front of a plain white paper background.

Rasano explains "Children themselves have been known to rebel against uniforms, especially as they approach the awkward age characterised by the need to fit in and the desire to stand out, all at the same time. Some experts too have spoken out against school uniforms on the grounds that they surprise individuality and diversity"

Well, there you have it. Convinced? Not sure I am.

Regards

David
bilbo (16th November 2016)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (16th November 2016)
Old 16th November 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:

Last night's award ceremony. Can't tell you what that felt like seeing my entry displayed as a banner. Wife's iPhone

Our very own Norman Smith in the foreground. Looking forward to seeing his pics. Thank you John

David
I'm curious that they chose your image for a huge banner rather than the winner. That speaks volumes so far as I'm concerned!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bilbo (17th November 2016), shenstone (16th November 2016)
Old 16th November 2016
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I'm curious that they chose your image for a huge banner rather than the winner. That speaks volumes so far as I'm concerned!
Someone in the organisation had better taste!
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Naughty Nigel (16th November 2016)
Old 16th November 2016

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Hi Brian

Here is an excerpt from the NPG News Release today announcing the winner Claudio Rasano.

"The winning Portrait, part of Rasano's series 'Similar Uniforms: We refuse to compare' was taken in February 2016, in Johannesburg, South Arica and focuses on issues of preserving individuality in the context of school uniforms. The photograph was shot in daylight, outdoors and in front of a plain white paper background.

Rasano explains "Children themselves have been known to rebel against uniforms, especially as they approach the awkward age characterised by the need to fit in and the desire to stand out, all at the same time. Some experts too have spoken out against school uniforms on the grounds that they surprise individuality and diversity"

Well, there you have it. Convinced? Not sure I am.

Regards

David
Yes. I did read that and I sighed. And no, I'm not at all convinced. Your picture, I like though!
Old 16th November 2016

Liked 113 Times in 77 Posts

Clicking on each of the images brings up a panel with background info and a summary of the judges' views.
Phill D (17th November 2016)
Old 16th November 2016

Liked 2,250 Times in 1,486 Posts

Quote:
It's kind of difficult for me having come through the traditional camera club route, to see what others with far greater knowledge see in the photos under discussion. I see things pictorially or straight. Some of the exhibits I've seen today are truly moving once you've heard the story. The autistic girl from Mongolia, the granddaughter portraying her grandfather's decline and eventual passing, the brothel visitors.

I'm trying hard to understand what I'm presented with, I realise I may not get there, I need the narrative. So, I am trying to unlearn. One move is to step away from the RPS aesthetic with its obsession with technical perfection and almost devoid of any appreciation of the emotional impact of a photograph. I've seen enough in the last two weeks to confirm my deliberations about not renewing my membership. Fortunately, there's plenty of other exciting work out there that I'm going to try to get to grips with.

Hope this contributes to the debate.

David
That is an interesting viewpoint David, which I am grateful for. I am sure there is a lot more to some of these photographs than meets the eye. But without the background information we can only view the photographs as we see them.

My wife has some photographs of her late father that she took on her old phone at a family gathering shortly after her dad was diagnosed with a terminal condition and given weeks to live. The resolution is very poor, (640 x 480 I think), so the image quality is dire. They certainly wouldn't' print well, but they have great emotional value to my wife. But would that make them worthy winners of a prestigious photographic competition? I think not.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 17th November 2016

Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,079 Posts

Thanks Steve. Now I've read the explanation words I'm still not sure I'm any the wiser.
raichea (17th November 2016)
Old 17th November 2016

Liked 113 Times in 77 Posts

Me neither
Old 17th November 2016

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts

Surely a photograph that is good enough to win a major prestigious portrait competition should stand alone and not need a narrative to justify its status? It might be different if it were reportage or battlefield shots etc, but a portrait?

Crazy Dave's shot has massive visual impact and can be appreciated without a half page of A4 to explain it. Like others here I don't understand the judges' decision on the winner.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Naughty Nigel (17th November 2016)
Old 17th November 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

The competition is rigged.

on flickr
Old 17th November 2016

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
The competition is rigged.
Why do you think that Steve?
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 17th November 2016

Liked 1,246 Times in 710 Posts

I went dutifully to the TW portrait exhibitions in 2012, 2013 and 2014, but I haven't been since.

Taylor Wessing are corporate lawyers, and (with some honourable exceptions!) in my humble opinion they attract and reward safe and corporate images. For challenging and interesting portraits (mostly paintings, though) I recommend the BP awards.

I do however like the images of the New Work winner - have a look at his website. For me this is on a completely different level from the bland, depth-free main winners.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 17th November 2016

Liked 1,246 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Maybe my daughter should enter next year. This is a self portrait she took recently as part of a project depicting the repression and stereotyping of women for her A level course. She did her make-up herself, to achieve a manikin like appearance and reinforced this by sewing thread onto the print to represent puppet strings. I think she did quite well, not least for manoeuvring the tripod in our tiny kitchen!

This is absolutely great!

Does your daughter know the work of Cindy Sherman the American photographer:

https://www.artsy.net/artwork/cindy-...till-number-84

Well worth exploring I would suggest.

She might also be interested to see the 1970s Feminist photography exhibition at the Photographers Gallery in London if she hasn't been: http://thephotographersgallery.org.u...6-8-january-20
[Some of us grizzled ageing male members of this forum might find that show to be a bit over-obsessed with female bodily functions, but it does honestly also contain some really superb images!]

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
iso (18th November 2016)