Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 31st July 2015

Liked 665 Times in 343 Posts
Re: Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
For those wishing to make a clean install of Windows 10 or to build a dual boot system, the various flavours of Windows 10 can be downloaded here in .iso format or for usb drive installation:

"https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10"

I hope this is of help.

Dave
Microsoft are a bunch of lousy software writers. That program that is suppose to help download for clean installation, is so buggy. A whole evening, I left my pc to complete the download, the PC it shut itself down because WIn10 does not consider downloads as activity. It won't continue where it stopped and a whole process had to be restarted from scratch
So I plug in a USB and started it this morning. I left my PC running to find the Download stopped. Then to find that stupid sleep times was activated. Restarted it after wasting 3 hours. It just completer, then in the middle of processing, it stopped again.

Think I may just wait for the win 10.1

All my garbage so far.
Old 31st July 2015

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

I would like to suggest that for all those "windows" problems the best move for you would be to go to Apple....no major problems and does not have many upgrades that screw up the system and the the data.
The Following User Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (1st August 2015)
Old 31st July 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Glad to be able to report my son fixed his upgrade that went horribly wrong but I don't know how he fixed it. I will eventually upgrade mine because security updates for Windows 7 will stop and I don't want to buy a new OS when I can get one for free now.
Old 31st July 2015
Kiwi Paul

I'm going for it, going to install it on my laptop.
I have the existing operating system and apps backed up on my USB HDD using Acronis and I have a bootable USB stick with Acronis recovery on it. Soooo if the worst comes to the worst it should be a simple matter of restoring Win 8.1. I've used Acronis before to clone disks etc, it's very good.

Paul
Old 31st July 2015
Kiwi Paul

It all came to nought, Windows can't access the system partition on the drive, its a Dell laptop so that partition must be locked by Dell, I'll need to contact Dell and see what the solution is.

Paul
Old 2nd August 2015

Liked 101 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
It all came to nought, Windows can't access the system partition on the drive, its a Dell laptop so that partition must be locked by Dell, I'll need to contact Dell and see what the solution is.

Paul
Odd, as I mentioned in the other thread I installed on 2 Dells, one a fairly new one Win8 machine, with no trouble. No trouble with the Media Creation Tool either, I did disable sleep mode, and I think MS says to do that as one of the first steps. But I have made with that Tool 2 recoveries, and 2 install discs, and I know the Win 10 Pro install disk works because I did a clean install...BUT you have to upgrade or have Win 10 on that computer and activated FIRST. Then if you, like I did put a bigger drive in you can do a clean install, do not fill in the product ID when asked just skip it every time. Once installed it somehow verifies with MS that the machine had 10 on it before, and all is well.

Now one thing I forgot to mention in the other thread, during the install, and even when you change or set up a new user, while it is configuring, the screen will go black, the pointer will be there, but no little spinning blue dot/wheel, or no hour glass, there is no way to tell if it is done, locked up, or whatever is going on. Be patient, it's working. I wasn't and on both computers restarted, (Ctrl, Alt,Del still works). Nothing got screwed up luckily enough.

I don't know why you are having trouble. One of mine was an Inspiron with Win 8.1 Home, and the other a 2010 era Lattitude E6400, that I Migrated Win 7 Pro to and SSD then did the upgrade, then swapped out the drive for a bigger one and did the clean install. Be interesting to hear what Dell says.
Old 2nd August 2015

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

When I shut down my win 7 (pro) laptop tonight I noticed it was taking a long time to install 1 update, so I went & made my evenings cup of tea (camomile) & came back & it had finally shut down, but I was curious to see what the update was. Well, it was...
Quote:
Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Installation date: ‎2/‎08/‎2015 9:49 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code C1900208

Update type: Important

Install the next version of Windows.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=507415

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=507417
I hadn't opted (or declined) for any Windows 10 upgrade & so didn't think anything would happen without my initiating, but it appears it was trying to upgrade to Win 10, due to the following settings?

I have since changed the setting to:- Check for updates but let me choose whether to download & install them
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Otto (2nd August 2015)
Old 2nd August 2015
Kiwi Paul

I've identified the issue but don't know if there is any way around it, the EFI boot partition is full due to Acronis imaging software putting a large recovery file in it. I installed a partition manager and gave the EFI system partition a drive letter so I could delete the Acronis file but the drive is locked and there is no security tab to enable me to get permission to access it so I'm snookered. I tried to expand the partition but couldn't do that either.
Looks like if I want Win 10 on the laptop I'll need to do a clean install.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvasc View Post
Odd, as I mentioned in the other thread I installed on 2 Dells, one a fairly new one Win8 machine, with no trouble. No trouble with the Media Creation Tool either, I did disable sleep mode, and I think MS says to do that as one of the first steps. But I have made with that Tool 2 recoveries, and 2 install discs, and I know the Win 10 Pro install disk works because I did a clean install...BUT you have to upgrade or have Win 10 on that computer and activated FIRST. Then if you, like I did put a bigger drive in you can do a clean install, do not fill in the product ID when asked just skip it every time. Once installed it somehow verifies with MS that the machine had 10 on it before, and all is well.

Now one thing I forgot to mention in the other thread, during the install, and even when you change or set up a new user, while it is configuring, the screen will go black, the pointer will be there, but no little spinning blue dot/wheel, or no hour glass, there is no way to tell if it is done, locked up, or whatever is going on. Be patient, it's working. I wasn't and on both computers restarted, (Ctrl, Alt,Del still works). Nothing got screwed up luckily enough.

I don't know why you are having trouble. One of mine was an Inspiron with Win 8.1 Home, and the other a 2010 era Lattitude E6400, that I Migrated Win 7 Pro to and SSD then did the upgrade, then swapped out the drive for a bigger one and did the clean install. Be interesting to hear what Dell says.
Old 2nd August 2015

Quote:
I've identified the issue but don't know if there is any way around it, the EFI boot partition is full due to Acronis imaging software putting a large recovery file in it. I installed a partition manager and gave the EFI system partition a drive letter so I could delete the Acronis file but the drive is locked and there is no security tab to enable me to get permission to access it so I'm snookered. I tried to expand the partition but couldn't do that either.

Paul
How about making a second recovery file on a thumb drive, or on a DVD and erasing the partition?....Oh, drive is locked. I would ask Dell. To clean install the machine has to have been upgraded to Win 10 first or I don't think that will work for the free version. Can you re-install your old Windows and then upgrade maybe?? My Dell also had a way to reset to factory settings, maybe that would work, unless the drive was locked from the factory. This is unfortunate, my experience has been that it is the best upgrade experience out of all the windows products, it just worked.
Old 2nd August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
When I shut down my win 7 (pro) laptop tonight I noticed it was taking a long time to install 1 update, so I went & made my evenings cup of tea (camomile) & came back & it had finally shut down, but I was curious to see what the update was. Well, it was...

I hadn't opted (or declined) for any Windows 10 upgrade & so didn't think anything would happen without my initiating, but it appears it was trying to upgrade to Win 10, due to the following settings?

I have since changed the setting to:- Check for updates but let me choose whether to download & install them
Uh OH my wife's computer has automatic updates on....mine too I think, she said hers did an update and something went wrong. Better check, even though it's OK now, as far as I know.
Old 2nd August 2015
Kiwi Paul

I think it's ok to do a clean install as there is the option to install from a memory stick or download the ISO and install from a bootable DVD. I've downloaded the ISO file so may try that. I'm offshore and back next week so I'll try it once I'm home. I'll upgrade my desktop first as I built that myself and installed Win 8.1 so I' know how its configured, no nasty surprises there lol.
It's not actually an issue with the Dell installation on the laptop it's just that Acronis imaging software put a recovery file in there to enable the laptop to be recovered by pressing F11 at boot, a nice idea but with obvious shortfalls.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvasc View Post
How about making a second recovery file on a thumb drive, or on a DVD and erasing the partition?....Oh, drive is locked. I would ask Dell. To clean install the machine has to have been upgraded to Win 10 first or I don't think that will work for the free version. Can you re-install your old Windows and then upgrade maybe?? My Dell also had a way to reset to factory settings, maybe that would work, unless the drive was locked from the factory. This is unfortunate, my experience has been that it is the best upgrade experience out of all the windows products, it just worked.
Old 2nd August 2015

Liked 848 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
A little scary that Win10 will just install itself without asking, if you've simply registered interest and left the default update settings. Thanks for the warning, I'll make sure I change the settings on the machine I have registered (not this one!).
Old 2nd August 2015

Thanked 1,115 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,450 Times in 726 Posts

Posted this in Windows Hell... which may have been of more interest in this thread?

Given the odd hiccup here and there regards the W10 upgrade... this might be of interest as a back-up plan

W10... How to undo if it all goes pear-shaped

as the best laid plans of mice and men etc., etc.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (2nd August 2015)
Old 2nd August 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:

Paul
I found a little free partition manager called Mini Tool Partition Wizard that will enlarge that partition for you, worked fine on two computers for me. Easy to use too. By the way you can only do a clean install of Windows 10 if the computer has been updated to Windows 10 first otherwise you will hit problems with Authentication.
Old 2nd August 2015
Kiwi Paul

I have a partition tool that enables me to change the partition sizes but this partition appears to be locked by the system and won't allow me to make any changes to it at all. It's a EFI boot partition.
I'll try to do a clean install of Win 10 at some stage, if it doesn't work I'll format the SSD reinstall Win 8 then upgrade to Win 10.

Paul