Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 8th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts
Unanswered Threads

For one reason or another sometimes a thread slips the net and remains unanswered. Understandably this is frustrating for the poster, particularly if it contains pictures for comments and critisism.

I've noticed that on another forum there is a link on the header strip for "Unanswered Posts" which acts as a safety net. Would it be a useful addition to this site and (a question really for Ian and John who have the knowledge of this sort of thing) would it be feasible?

Any views on this?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th November 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Unanswered Threads

A good idea - it is so easy for a thread to get pushed down the posting list, and then you forget to comment. Sometimes a thread just needs that first comment to get it started.

Mind you - I've started some boring threads - best have a mechanism to allow them to sink out of site after a couple of days.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 8th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
For one reason or another sometimes a thread slips the net and remains unanswered. Understandably this is frustrating for the poster, particularly if it contains pictures for comments and criticism.
It happens quite often, especially when sites are busy and there are several pages of new posts to look at. There isn't always time to look at them all, and when there is time I, for example, end up with a page full of new posts with my name on them, which is a bit embarrassing and makes me feel like a spammer.

Quote:
I've noticed that on another forum there is a link on the header strip for "Unanswered Posts" which acts as a safety net. Would it be a useful addition to this site and (a question really for Ian and John who have the knowledge of this sort of thing) would it be feasible?
Err, yes.

I mod another site that's got this feature and every so often somebody or other will go through the unanswered posts. Trouble is it doesn't always work out well because they pull up things that can be months old and are seriously out of date. It might work on here though, especially with picture threads that have been started when there's something else, that perhaps takes more time to write a reply, absorbing everybody's attention.

Nobody deliberately ignores anything though, I'm sure it's mostly a question of how much time they've got to spare and if a title catches their eye when they come online.

With an open forum, where people drop by and don't need to log in, the number of hits a post gets isn't an indication of how many active members (who can respond) have looked at it.
Old 8th November 2008
Administrator

Nick, we'd reserve the right not to answer yours, even with this facility!

(BTW I will comment on the Heron shots, just thinking about them!)

Ellie,

You make some very valid points.

I did wonder if there might be a sufficient sense of irony on this forum to leave this thread........unanswered!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th November 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Nick, we'd reserve the right not to answer yours, even with this facility!

I did wonder if there might be a sufficient sense of irony on this forum to leave this thread........unanswered!
Thanks

To subtle for us simple folk.

(But I think threads should be acknowledged and contributors made to feel appreciated - how else can we (both individually and as a group) grow?)

Nick

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 8th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Thanks

To subtle for us simple folk.

(But I think threads should be acknowledged and contributors made to feel appreciated - how else can we (both individually and as a group) grow?)Nick
My thoughts exactly, Nick.

Old 8th November 2008
grumpy69

Yes I think that is a great idea, people like myself that have a lot to learn need input from others to give idea's and insperation. If one is not that well known it is easy to not look and move to another name you reconise. ( does any of that make sence)
Old 8th November 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I too think this is a great idea, so how's that then...

I added this on the menu bar right next to the 'New Posts' function. Please let me know if this is what you wanted.

Old 12th November 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
I too think this is a great idea, so how's that then...

I added this on the menu bar right next to the 'New Posts' function. Please let me know if this is what you wanted.
Hi John,

Thanks, that's exactly what I had in mind. In fact, I just noticed it and that's what brought me back to this thread! Sorry it took so long, I've been a little preoccupied with the Epping Meet for the last few days!

Well, now we've got the facility shall we all give it a go?

Old 13th November 2008
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

I think that this has been a great Idea - i note that the number of recent unanswered threads has really dropped off since it was implemented

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 28th July 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

Haha! Well it's only taken two years!

I somehow missed this thread and was subconsciously convinced we already had an unanswered threads option on the nav bar.

Anyway, I have installed one just now - and I'm just so sorry this was overlooked for so long. We have had the same facility on our others sites for ages.

Mind you, not that many threads here on the e-group go unanswered, so that may be a factor too!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 28th July 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

I somehow missed this thread and was subconsciously convinced we already had an unanswered threads option on the nav bar.

Anyway, I have installed one just now - and I'm just so sorry this was overlooked for so long. We have had the same facility on our others sites for ages.

Mind you, not that many threads here on the e-group go unanswered, so that may be a factor too!

Ian
Must admit I was convinced it was there as well - in fact I'm sure I've used it.

Maybe I'm going mad or perhaps it fell off.

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 28th July 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Must admit I was convinced it was there as well - in fact I'm sure I've used it.

Maybe I'm going mad or perhaps it fell off.

Nick
In fact I reclaim my right to sanity and Ians reputation for efficiency. Unless we were sufferring mass illusion

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...ght=unanswered

I think it is because the nav bar is so narrow it must have overbalanced in the wind.

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 28th July 2010

Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 1,230 Times in 800 Posts

I would try to look at the unanswered section and try to pick up unanswered posts if they are of interest not perfect but does pick up some that might have died otherwise. Maybe we should all do this more often.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 28th July 2010

Liked 106 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Ian
The Unanswered thread link has been on this forum for as long as I remember I have occasionally used it. Is this something different than what was before?

Confused,

Steve