Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 7th August 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Experiment: New 35-100 f2 and C-AF mode3, back button focusing, AEL on shutter half press and focus

I bought a 35-100mm f2 from London Camera Exchange on Monday and I was having an experiment with the settings of the C-AF button assignments.

After many crap shots, I have found that the best settings with this lens, for 'medium' amount of moving subjects is mode3, where you have back button focusing with the AEL button, AEL lock on half-shutter press, and use the focus stop buttons built into the lens.

It took a little while to get used to, but I have so far had the most useable shots from using this button combination. It also makes me think more about the shot as I take it, as I will always be thinking about what I am doing and what I am going to do, rather than just rushing into things, which I tend to do.

-Lock focus - is this a good time to lock it? At first I wondered what was the point of the four focus lock buttons. They are excellent once you put them to use. Did the subject move too much or change? Start again.

-AEL lock - get the exposure right and is the subject still in the correct DOF, if not start again.

-Compose, check above, expose - If above have changed, start again.

After a little while, I found that it was easy to get this little routine into my head. To me it is like going through an important checklist before exposing, but forcefully through the button assignments to get a bit of a better shot. I think this is by separating the AEL and Focus buttons mainly.

Just before I took the attached shot, I saw some royal photographer using the reflector on his flash on TV - I had never used mine before on the FL50R, so stuck it on and gave it a go. I am very surprised at the difference it has made and will be using this a lot more when there are surfaces to bounce off. More excuses to practice more.

Test subject is my daughter playing with one of them heat reflective sheets that they give to runners after... running etc. whilst sitting in a Bumbo. She was wriggling around all over the place. One thing I forgot was the fact that I had the ability to zoom.

I am not used to this lens, but I love it. You should have seen the sight on my Mrs's face when Trevor from LCE read out the total to charge to my card, when the lens is 9 years old... and she thought I was renting it. I took her for a meal after and she paid for it feeling sorry for my bank account. As soon as it got put to use, the upside down smile turned upside down again, though!

Any comments welcome! Please try for yourselves and let me know what you think too!

Tony

Last edited by TonyJr; 7th August 2014 at 01:27 AM. Reason: adding bits i forgot and editing minor faults
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Experiment: New 35-100 f2 and C-AF mode3, back button focusing, AEL on shutter half press and fo

Which body are you using?

My photos: http://ThomasGray.smugmug.com
My daughter's blog: http://louise-dancey-photographe.blogspot.com/
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Experiment: New 35-100 f2 and C-AF mode3, back button focusing, AEL on shutter half press and fo

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtgray View Post
Which body are you using?

I'm using the E-5.