Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

View Poll Results: How do you shoot... JPG, RAW or Both...?
JPG only 2 2.94%
RAW only 42 61.76%
Both JPG and RAW 24 35.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th October 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
How do you shoot, jpg, RAW or both?

Hi All

Following a request I have been asked to set up a poll regarding this interesting subject. So, simple question - how do you shoot using your E-Series camera...?

Old 11th October 2008
Henk

Re: How do you shoot, jpg, RAW or both?

I shoot normally raw only, for vacation snaps I may occasionally change to raw + jpg to keep the workload down as I do not batch process.

I use mainly Olympus Studio 2 and RawTherapee for processing, waiting for Bibble 5 to see if they fixed the conversion of greens and I'm currently testing Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 ultimate which looks pretty good if you do not have to get the best out of the orf for fixing highlights.
Old 11th October 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I shoot RAW only, and use Lightroom2 for all my post processing.

Old 11th October 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Thanks for setting this up John.

I shoot RAW only and PP in Lightroom with some assistance from PhotoPlus X2 when needed. Noise is handled in Neat Image and this is the first step I take before processing any shoots.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 881 Times in 403 Posts

And I shoot with both on the basis I store the raw files and very, very occasionally need one to help out when the jpg isn't good enough.

I am also very aware that computer people are busily changing the standards for all of these (supposedly) perfect standards on a regular basis and will no doubt have issues in the future with new computers or software that will be incompatible with old data.

So a device to make a perfect slide or real negative from a digital file would be a bonus.

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

I'm voting RAW only.
I do have the camera set for RAW + SQ but I only use the jpegs for preliminary browsing. They get overwritten when I develop the RAW file in PSE..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 11th October 2008
tlove

I shoot RAW.

I used to shoot jpg, then found out how much more flexible it was (for me personally, at any rate) to shoot RAW, and I've never really looked back. I have - as an experiment - done occasional jpg shooting since, but I've not been 100% happy about not having control.
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 1,008 Times in 299 Posts

Raw only and develop in Silkypix.

I do my initial focus edit on the Raw files with Picassa.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 11th October 2008
Makonde

For an outing with just a few shots i shoot RAW. If I'm going to take quite a lot I shoot RAW plus small JPEG. I skim through the jpegs and put the RAWs of the good ones into a working folder, dumping all the rest.

I have Adobe Camera RAW and photoshop for developing and PP; and when I've finished with a pic I save a copy as a tiff for future interoperability (also for printing if it's likely to be used in the magazine)
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Raw only - develop in either Rawtherapee or Master to either tiff or jpg.

Post process in The GIMP. A good 90% will use the 'default' settings for RAW conversion - but it's nice to have the options to play with (for instance to adjust colour temperature/sharpness at this stage).

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 11th October 2008
Xpres

Raw only - process with ACR in elements. For web and preview I use Picassa.
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Raw only, Silkypix and/or CS3, dam program ACDSee Pro 2.5.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

I am afraid the poll doesn't have enough options to give the full piture..........

It's different for different E cameras - I will always include a raw file when using the E510 but increasingly rarely with the E3 unless the circumstances suggest it to be a wise insurance, which includes anything with mixed light sources (although the 3 is still pretty good in this area overall). E400 is raw only - for what I use it for.
Old 11th October 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
I am afraid the poll doesn't have enough options to give the full piture..........

It's different for different E cameras - I will always include a raw file when using the E510 but increasingly rarely with the E3 unless the circumstances suggest it to be a wise insurance, which includes anything with mixed light sources (although the 3 is still pretty good in this area overall). E400 is raw only - for what I use it for.
This touches on a good point - why do the Raw shooters choose Raw.

Certainly on the E-3 rarely do I need alter the colour temperature to get it right, the camera does a very good job on its own and I would guess that well less than 1 in every 100 shots needs amendment for that reason.

I choose RAW

1) because I do not want the camera throwing away any information without my explicit and considered say-so. I paid for those pixels and I want to play with them.

2) because if I'm going to do a major change to colour tone by playing with the temperature then I want to do it before the camera has made judgements about compression etc. Why do I want to make these changes - well almost always for 'artistic reasons' - because I want a warmer/colder colour interpretation. Analagous to making a choice about film stock or colour filter - but done in the warm without fiddling about in the field.

3) because, on the rare occaisions I take what by my standards is a really good shot then I'll want to process it as a tiff to retain as much information as possible. Other shots I'll process as jpg (but with the raw files as a 'security'), to keep down disc usage.

4) Because raw processors such as RawTherapee can let you pull back some highlight information which gets lost in in-camera conversion.

But of course there isn't a 'correct' choice. It's what suits you and your requirements/style of working.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 11th October 2008
Henk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
This touches on a good point - why do the Raw shooters choose Raw.

Certainly on the E-3 rarely do I need alter the colour temperature to get it right, the camera does a very good job on its own and I would guess that well less than 1 in every 100 shots needs amendment for that reason.

I choose RAW

1) because I do not want the camera throwing away any information without my explicit and considered say-so. I paid for those pixels and I want to play with them.

2) because if I'm going to do a major change to colour tone by playing with the temperature then I want to do it before the camera has made judgements about compression etc. Why do I want to make these changes - well almost always for 'artistic reasons' - because I want a warmer/colder colour interpretation. Analagous to making a choice about film stock or colour filter - but done in the warm without fiddling about in the field.

3) because, on the rare occaisions I take what by my standards is a really good shot then I'll want to process it as a tiff to retain as much information as possible. Other shots I'll process as jpg (but with the raw files as a 'security'), to keep down disc usage.

4) Because raw processors such as RawTherapee can let you pull back some highlight information which gets lost in in-camera conversion.

But of course there isn't a 'correct' choice. It's what suits you and your requirements/style of working.

Nick
Besides the reasons Nick already mentioned I shoot raw and archive my orfs, so when new generations of raw developers appear I can get even more out of some raws. I did so with E-500 orfs which developed much nicer in the latest versions of Olympus Studio etc.

Henk