Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 8th October 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
How daft, and rather short sighted...!

Well, the attitude of t'other side simply never ceases to amaze me.

I read a thread today over on talk photography (full to the brim of canikonites, and where I have been insulted as an Oly user many, many times) where a chap had posted a request for a photographer for his wedding which is taking place next September 2009. I was amazed at the lack of response to a very nice post, and thought I'd contact him via PM.

I wanted to say that I was amazed at the lack of response he had received, and if I were closer I'd love to have helped and would have jumped at the opportunity, as well as asking if it were OK to post the request on e-group in an attempt to help him out and further promote his request for a photographer.

To be honest, I wish I had never bothered now.

Here's my PM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan
Hi Dave

Just a few things matey... I can't believe that no-one has responded to you in your photographer for wedding request thread, I am actually astounded. If I were closer, I'd jump at the work matey, but it's a tad too far for me.

However, I will if you don't mind post your request on another photography forum I am a member of, and see if anyone responds there.

Are you OK with this...? It's the official Olympus UK forum in case you were wondering.

Oh how I wish I were closer...

John
... and his reply...

Quote:
Hi John

i have had a few responses, but most of the people live very far away, and it obviously isnt going to give me a chance to maybe learn as a 2nd tog for a while.

you can post it on the foum yes thats fine, but i would like a canon shooter :P

Thanks for your pm

Dave
Stuff him then... what an awful attitude eh!

Old 8th October 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How daft, and rather short sighted...!

Just goes to show the mentality of the canikonites group. Such a shame.
Old 8th October 2008

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

... should have told him in that case you'll arrange for someone to turn up with a Howitzer... it's what he deserves after all...
Old 8th October 2008

Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts

Its the same with a lot of things, like if you want a satnav most people think 'TomTom', even though there are other equally good (and arguably better) options out there. If you are after a portable media player, most people think 'iPod', even though there are some far superior devices out there.

The way the market is at the moment, if you are looking at DSLR's, most people think 'Canon' or 'Nikon', even though offerings from the likes of Olympus, Sony, etc all offer comparable models which are just as good, and you could argue are better in some respects.
Old 8th October 2008
Scapula Memory

I havent joined that forum but have come across one or two threads whilst searching other stuff and quite simply from what I have seen it is pretty appalling. Maybe I could be wrong, and others here who frequent there might have something good to say about it but its not on my radar anytime soon.
Old 8th October 2008
Chillimonster

I've give up posting a lot of the time over on TPF. I type a long reply pointing out some rather obvious facts, and before i hit the [Submit Reply] button, i think "its not worth the hassle" and delete it.

There is a distinct central core of people on there who are very definately up their own orifice, and have a very blinkered view on what equipment is best, and what should be avoided (Olympus MUST be avoided at all costs as they dont have a lot of lenses and have minute sensors!), but then again there are quite a few good people on there - in fact that is where i first got in contact with John.

Chris
Old 8th October 2008
mas

I'm not sure how much of that is 'serious' and how much is thought 'funny'.

Does the smiley imply humour?
Old 8th October 2008

Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts

I did make an Olympus user's thread on TP, but that didnt really take off
Old 8th October 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

A while ago I did get a rather interesting discussion going on Talk Photography about the ethics of an, in my opinion, distasteful cartoon depicting violence perpetrated by a Canon and a Nikon user against another photographer, purely on the basis that he was an Olympus user.

Not many agreed with me by any means, but I was at least engaged in some sort of meaningful debate with them - until a rather judgemental Mod who seems to be somewhat full of his own importance decided to lock the thread prematurely with no explaination!

Oh well, maybe best to let them fester in their own ignorance!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th October 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I usually post my pics on there (as well as here) for C+C but that's about it really.
Old 8th October 2008

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza_DJ View Post
Its the same with a lot of things, like if you want a satnav most people think 'TomTom', even though there are other equally good (and arguably better) options out there. If you are after a portable media player, most people think 'iPod', even though there are some far superior devices out there.

The way the market is at the moment, if you are looking at DSLR's, most people think 'Canon' or 'Nikon', even though offerings from the likes of Olympus, Sony, etc all offer comparable models which are just as good, and you could argue are better in some respects.
Reminds me of the saying:

Eat sh1t - a million flies can't be wrong!
;^)

Jim
Old 9th October 2008

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

not sure how many see the hypocrisy in this thread?

given that the guy wan't to learn as 2nd photog on the day, and shoots canon, it seems a perfectly reasonable attitude with, as Mas highlights, a smiley to indicate that he understands how that might look to a non canon guy but 'that's life'.

personally I have met up with a number of E system photogs but never with 'any old photogs' - why? Because I am interested in understanding how people deal with those issue specific to the equipement I have chosen to use.

anyway - better leave you all to bashing the canon guys for bashing the olympus guys............
Old 9th October 2008
Chillimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
personally I have met up with a number of E system photogs but never with 'any old photogs' - why? Because I am interested in understanding how people deal with those issue specific to the equipement I have chosen to use.
I often go on 'meets' that are open to anyone with a camera. in fact i am off to one on 19th October with TPF, and i can g'tee that i will be the only Oly shooter there, but at the end of the day its the end results that matter, is it not?

I think the issue in question is the dismissal of an offer as it came from an Oly user, and the blinkered approach of certain members of the other forum when it comes to opinions on equipment.

Chris
Old 9th October 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
not sure how many see the hypocrisy in this thread?

given that the guy wan't to learn as 2nd photog on the day, and shoots canon, it seems a perfectly reasonable attitude with, as Mas highlights, a smiley to indicate that he understands how that might look to a non canon guy but 'that's life'.

anyway - better leave you all to bashing the canon guys for bashing the olympus guys............
Hmmm, a few things here.

1 - what he could have said to me was something along the lines of, 'Cheers mate but there's no need to post on the Oly forum as I am looking for someone who uses Canon kit' - but he didn't. He used a throw away comment and was rather rude about it. I was trying to help him, by being considerate and polite, and that was the answer I received.
2 - I am not bashing Canon or Nikon kit at all - and rarely do (except in jest), but I have been the subject of some disgraceful behaviour from Canon/Nikon owners. They are just ill informed and rather naive.

Old 9th October 2008

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

Surely he wanted a Canon user as he is one himself and therefore the equipment would be familiar to him.
But of course he could have made that clear to you in his reply, which I am sure you would have accepted - I know that I would have.
I didn't know about that forum, and they say they are the friendliest on the internet.....................LOL!