Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts
Tilt and shift adapter

Anyone got experience of this? It would come in very handy.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kipon-Olym...item35cc7654ac
Old 24th December 2013

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts
Re: Tilt and shift adapter

Hi there Dave!

I have had a look at these and also the just tilt version which is much cheaper. My issue with both of these is the OM lenses you would use them with - I cannot afford anything particularly wide to use with them (once you get past 24mm they seem to get very expensive very quickly!

I am tempted to have made a shift adapter for 4/3 to m4/3 - I have a Sigma 10-20 to go on it which should have a larger image circle to compensate for the shift (I believe it was designed for APS-C sensors). My plan is to take apart a cheapo MMF copy and have machined a dovetailed slide of the same thickness as the MMF and bodge the wiring onto it somehow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (21st August 2017)
Old 24th December 2013

Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts

I have had similar thoughts to Ralph, I do have a 21mm f/2.0 OM lens but that would only make for a 42mm shift lens on M4/3rds so perhaps not suitable for architecture unless you can stay far enough away from the subject. Even the 18mm f/3.5 OM lens would not be particularly wide. The problem with using a lens designed for APC-C is that the image circle, though larger than 4/3rds, is quite a bit smaller than full frame so the amount of shift possible would be limited

I would like to explore the possibility of an adaptor for the 12mm f/5.6 or 15mm f/4.5Voigtlander rangefinder lenses if their rear elements don't project back too far

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 24th December 2013

Hi there John!

My thought about the amount of shift I'd be able to get is that although the OM shift lenses generally moved 15mm or so, that would only be half a frame of movement - with a four thirds sensor you would only need 7mm or so of movement to lift the lens up half a frame. The APS-C sensor isn't just bigger, it's also 3:2 so a 4/3 sensor should be able to move more in the image circle.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 4th October 2014

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Just thought I'd post something on the likelihood of people experiencing some disappointing results as a consequence of using the shift and especially, the tilt functions available on products like this.

Whilst this sounds an interesting concept/product, first of all, I would suggest users of this employ lenses which cover FF, rather than the APS-C format, so you stand much less chance of incurring distortion etc when at the adaptors extreme shift position.

I also would have thought that the tilt function, is likely to deliver far more distortion, and impact on the angle that the image strikes the sensor at. This is not much of a problem when using film, but potentially will be with any sensor, because they are designed to 'receive' light as parallel as possible to the sensor's surface.

I would guess that what people are also likely to experience, is a variation in the level of exposure, relative to the angle which a lens is shifted or even more so, when an optic is tilted, relative to the axis a lens is designed to be used at.
Old 4th November 2014

Liked 3,103 Times in 1,669 Posts

I have a tilt (OM) to 4/3 and OM 24mm and 35mm shift lenses. I have yet to find the need for both functions. The shift lenses are great for architectural shots. I have used the tilt for a macro but have yet to do much of that.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247442/0

Remember that either movement needs a lens with a large image circle.

Harold
Old 7th December 2014

Hi there Harold!

I have a tilt adapter for my m4/3 gear to use with OM lenses, which seems to work well with a maximum tilt of 8 degrees. Even at the maximum I haven't noticed any serious vignetting or loss of sharpness.

My shift adapter (concept, so far) should be ok for small shifts within the normal boundarys of the APS-C image circle from the sigma lenses. Interestingly I have found on a Canon forum that you can use the 10-20 on a full frame camera, where it will give full sensor coverage from 14mm to 20mm - so I could have more extreme shifts if I don't use the full wide end of the lens.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 7th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Harold!

I have a tilt adapter for my m4/3 gear to use with OM lenses, which seems to work well with a maximum tilt of 8 degrees. Even at the maximum I haven't noticed any serious vignetting or loss of sharpness.

My shift adapter (concept, so far) should be ok for small shifts within the normal boundarys of the APS-C image circle from the sigma lenses. Interestingly I have found on a Canon forum that you can use the 10-20 on a full frame camera, where it will give full sensor coverage from 14mm to 20mm - so I could have more extreme shifts if I don't use the full wide end of the lens.

Cheers,
Ralph,

As users, outside medium and large format, all these bits of information are useful but accumulation is going to be slow.

I use some large format macro lenses on m4/3, the latest being a Schneider Repro-Claron 55mm f8, for which I am awaiting a C-mount to m4/3 adapter and a couple of m4/3 extension ring sets. I have seen reports of various Schneider Claron's being very sharp for everyday photography, so there are possibilites there.

I also tried my X-Pan (effectively, medium format) 90mm lens for macro with some success. That would be good on a shift adapter if I had one.

Harold
Old 7th December 2014

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

That's very interesting info Ralph, but where did you get the Shift and Tilt adaptor from? I notice that my E-M1 has this function built into it .... Shooting menu 1 > Keystone Correction. I think it came with the v2 firmware upgrade. obviously only saves the modified image as a Jpeg, and the function does NOT work with any of the following modes enabled ... Live Bulb/Time, Composite, Sequential, Bracketing, HDR and a number of other features ... See p87 for further details.

Even more interestingly, it does NOT 'taper' the image within the image frame as PSP's perspective control function does, but instead expands and contracts the area 'Keystoned' so it fills the complete frame. - If the processor in the E-M1 is capable of doing this, I'm rather amazed that PSP, using the processing power that a PC has, can't also do this the same way!
Old 7th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose1949 View Post
That's very interesting info Ralph, but where did you get the Shift and Tilt adaptor from? I notice that my E-M1 has this function built into it .... Shooting menu 1 > Keystone Correction. I think it came with the v2 firmware upgrade. obviously only saves the modified image as a Jpeg, and the function does NOT work with any of the following modes enabled ... Live Bulb/Time, Composite, Sequential, Bracketing, HDR and a number of other features ... See p87 for further details.

Even more interestingly, it does NOT 'taper' the image within the image frame as PSP's perspective control function does, but instead expands and contracts the area 'Keystoned' so it fills the complete frame. - If the processor in the E-M1 is capable of doing this, I'm rather amazed that PSP, using the processing power that a PC has, can't also do this the same way!
The bottom line is that digital keystone remedies dump pixels to do so.

Harold
RobEW (23rd August 2017)
Old 7th December 2014

Hi there Footloose1949 / Harold!

Footloose1949

I have tried using the perspective adjustments in photoshop, but always find that they look unconvincing, with buildings looking squashed, and even if you increase the height to get them back close you still have issues with the bottom of the buildings being more squashed than the top. A shift adapter would prevent this - I haven't got one yet but have a rough design - I just need to buy a metal turning lathe and some aluminium bar to make it!

My tilt adapter was a cheap OM to m43 one from ebay which does allow a reasonable degree of tilt on the m43 sensor with an OM lens, but at the moment the widest OM lens I have is a 28mm. If I get chance I'll dig out an image to post here to demonstrate it.

Harold

I had a look on your link of the images taken with your tilt adapter - very good and a great indication of how you can change the plane of focus to include more of the subject - I will have to have a look into the physics of tilt lenses again to see if a short or longer lens will work better and then have a look for an OM macro lens. I did find a link ages ago which explained it really well - if I find it I'll post it here.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 10th April 2015

Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts

I have a budget tilt only adapter for PK SLR lenses & have made a 'plunger cam' DIY variant for enlarger lenses that has a few mm of shift available.
Both give a little taste of movements but they in no way compare to the usefulness of the movements in 5x4 photography.
Of course I rarely have any of the options with me when I find a subject needing movements.
Old 8th October 2016

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Wow, just noticed how long ago I posted on this thread!
I have a bit of an update, which is that Laowa sell a 15mm macro with Shift ... (covers FF) so 'us lot' will need either a Canon, Nikon or Sony 7 lens to m4/3rds body adaptor. Importers say that people have bought this for use in this manner and haven't had anyone report it doesn't work ... or pass onto them sample images. Seems 'strange' they haven't tried this themselves - make of that comment what you will! - Importers say they haven't heard any rumours of Laowa bringing out a m4/3rds version.

Being 15mm would make this a very useful tool for architectural togs ... can't think of another Shift lens that is as wide as this.
Old 8th October 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose1949 View Post
Wow, just noticed how long ago I posted on this thread!
I have a bit of an update, which is that Laowa sell a 15mm macro with Shift ... (covers FF) so 'us lot' will need either a Canon, Nikon or Sony 7 lens to m4/3rds body adaptor. Importers say that people have bought this for use in this manner and haven't had anyone report it doesn't work ... or pass onto them sample images. Seems 'strange' they haven't tried this themselves - make of that comment what you will! - Importers say they haven't heard any rumours of Laowa bringing out a m4/3rds version.

Being 15mm would make this a very useful tool for architectural togs ... can't think of another Shift lens that is as wide as this.
Before you get too excited about the Laowa 15mm, which I have:

a) It only shifts half as much as a dedicated shift lens.

b) It wouldn't do you much good on full frame as the images circle is too small

c) At 1:1 the working distance is 4.7mm!

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ven...ns-and-samples

Harold
Old 8th October 2016

On the subject of 15mm lenses, here is some of my experience with a Pentax K 15mm on Sony A7R:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1424039

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...220/0#13508463

And the Laowa 15mm on A7R

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...81/22#13555056

Harold