Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 14th December 2007
emirpprime

Re: Managing one's images!

You are right, but so am I
I think it all depends on aplication, and folder structure if no replacement for DAM software, just complimentary. If for example you didn't use the DAM for some reason, you could still make your search quicker using the folder structure you have (even if just a bit) or filename conventions (if you use any). It isn't a replacement, but a backup/aid.
For simple uses, kids/pets/snaps etc folders alone could be used, but granted it just isn't practical to use only it with the numbers of pictures most of us will have.

On "BACK UP" I couldn't agree more! The golden rule Even if you are totally disorganised, atleast you still ave the pictures

Phil
Old 15th December 2007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I cannot agree more this "shenstone". Back up , and keep backup of backups.

I lost 60GB of data several years ago. That taught me a very important lesson. I now have hardware RAID 5 for my day two day photo usage. This is backed up every night t to two different NAS boxes (both with RAID1), and I also backup to portable 2.5"HDD units. I also backup to DVD about once a month. These then are sent offsite.

Regarding my image management, I use two things.

1. Every set of images is inserted into its own directory, and subdirectory. E.G. Family Zoo photos. If I have multiple trips to a zoo, I store each visit as a directory. E.G. December 2007 This allows me to find what I need quickly.
2. I will probably get comments for this, but I use Paintshop Pro for image browsing and editing. I do have Photoshop elements, but I gave this to the wife. I also use the Olympus Master software for the RAW conversion.

I currently have about 17000 images which takes up about 46GB. I lost a lot of my older photos when I lost the data.
Old 15th December 2007
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.baker View Post
I cannot agree more this "shenstone". Back up , and keep backup of backups.

I lost 60GB of data several years ago. That taught me a very important lesson. I now have hardware RAID 5 for my day two day photo usage. This is backed up every night t to two different NAS boxes (both with RAID1), and I also backup to portable 2.5"HDD units. I also backup to DVD about once a month. These then are sent offsite.

Regarding my image management, I use two things.

1. Every set of images is inserted into its own directory, and subdirectory. E.G. Family Zoo photos. If I have multiple trips to a zoo, I store each visit as a directory. E.G. December 2007 This allows me to find what I need quickly.
2. I will probably get comments for this, but I use Paintshop Pro for image browsing and editing. I do have Photoshop elements, but I gave this to the wife. I also use the Olympus Master software for the RAW conversion.

I currently have about 17000 images which takes up about 46GB. I lost a lot of my older photos when I lost the data.
John

I can sympathise with your loss and the belts & braces & elastic & ......

If you lose the amount of data that you have, no wonder you are taking this approach. I have just invested in a TByte network storage system which has two drives to create a mirror image. Data is now held on 3 separate drives and I now feel secure.
As for the software you use for browsing/editing, I have found that there are so many permitations that it is difficult to choose. It ends up being very pesonal. What works for some does not for others.

Kind regards

PeterD
Old 15th December 2007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently run at about 8TB of storage across 3 systems and 2 NAS boxes. All with gigabit connectivity. If anyone need any advice on networkingm security or storage, just ask.
Old 17th December 2007
Napper

I read this thread and decided to give Imatch a go and I love it.

Up to now I've deliberated over how to arrange and name my photographic folders and have never really come to a satisfactory solution. I end up just up loading according to date taken and then adding specific name to the various date folders. This works OK but when there are several topics taken on a single date then it gets very long winded to sort them out . But with Imatch its very simple quick and easy to multi tag images into several different categories in seconds. I can now just upload my photos by date taken and then work the Imatch magic to tag them, wonderful.

It has very much more than this to offer, which I have yet to discover, but I think that it is the best software I have come across for keeping tabs on the large and growing number of images on my machines. Its not free but at £41.45 it's certainly not crippling and in terms of hours saved categorizing and searching for images well worth this amount. as for back up I have twin 500 GB external disk drives which I synchronize my images with so that I have got back ups of all my pics.