Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th November 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Is That Camera Waterproof?

So there I was in Swaledale last Saturday. With a bunch of friends we were having a weekend at another friends hotel in Keld. Been for a 12 mile walk along a route taking in parts of the Pennine Way and Coast to Coast. Most unlike the Essex marshes which is my natural habitat. All that up and down stuff.

Raining hard for the latter part so I split from the group to return to some waterfalls we had passed earlier as the river and streams were swelling as we watched.

Having a great time. Tripod in the water trying to get exciting waterfall shots in the rain with the water flowing faster and faster as it was raining hard by now. Water running off my E3 and I was relying on the lens hood to keep the rain, now hail, off the lens. My waterproofs were working hard keeping me dry so all was well with the grumpy old git and his trusty Oly. Nothing like the flat lands of the north Essex coast.

Along comes three guys clutching small hard camera cases intent on taking some images of the falls. They decide that it was too wet for their camera's and stood aghast at me as I sat on a rock with feet and tripod in the water and a camera literally dripping.

The inevitable question arose.

"Is that camera waterproof mate"?

"Not fully but good enough for this sort of heavy rain" says I.

"It's an Olympus and I could break rocks with it if I wanted to" I rubbed in.

Off they trundled muttering about a wasted hike in the cold and rain whilst I continued taking pictures in what was now vicious hail. Once they had safely gone I decided that enough was enough and headed off to the warm and dry.

I have no idea what camera's they had but clearly if you want to maximise your picture taking opportunities stick with Olympus

Hec
Chevvyf1 (5th November 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
George Dorn (14th November 2013), Mark (5th November 2013), rsh1960 (5th November 2013), Ulfric M Douglas (14th November 2013)
Old 5th November 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts
Re: Is That Camera Waterproof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
"It's an Olympus and I could break rocks with it if I wanted to" I rubbed in.
Classic!

Looking forward to the pictures.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (5th November 2013)
Old 5th November 2013

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

Not all of my Olympus lenses are rainproof. There was probably nothing wrong with their cameras. It was their brains that were leaking. If they wanted to enjoy their hobby, a simple sheet of plastic in the camera bag would have freed them to enjoy.
Old 5th November 2013

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

Members of the Canikon club I suspect (Joke) - not meaning to be cruel, there are always ways to keep the camera dry from using plastic bags to ponchos.

I remember my days as a PJ standing in the pouring rain dripping wet with sodden camera shooting images of visiting US Presidents, all with a Nikon F3 and lens - all survived and the images told the story.

I do not sanction a blase attitude to cameras and rain but often, they are a lot more robust than we give them credit for and the effort of carrying a "plastic bag" just in case often pays dividends in getting the image when all others cry away.

Looking forward to seeing your results and hope both you and the camera have dried out.
Old 5th November 2013

Thanked 1,478 Times in 1,406 Posts
Liked 1,387 Times in 886 Posts

Yes, a large zip lock bag sandwiched between 2 filter rings will do the job. I'm sure Ive seen commercial variants on this but can't think of name at the moment. Of course if you haven't got an Olympus then how about a black bin bag to hide the name and the shame.
Iansky (5th November 2013)
Old 5th November 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Great Olympus Marketing, from you Hec
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 5th November 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,139 Times in 2,448 Posts
Liked 4,435 Times in 2,102 Posts

Hehe! Yes, we used to manage in the rain using various improvised plastic materials but when I got my E-3 it was a revelation. No more fumbling under plastic sheets or inside bags with a hole cut for the lens and secured with an elastic band, just let the camera take the punishment. Like you, Hec, I usually decide enough is enough from my own point of view, rather than out of any concern for the camera. I have yet to test my E-M5 in the rain (I've only recently acquired a weather resistant 12-50mm) but something makes me a little more wary than I am with the E-3.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th November 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nice one Hec ! I've been skiing with my E3 and 12-60 a few times. One time the weather closed in and it started snowing and I discovered later I hadn't zipped up my camera bag properly. There was plenty of snow in the bag and ice on the back of the camera where the snow had melted and frozen. One hot chocolate stop later in a mountain restaurant I wiped off the snow, let the ice thaw out, and wiped the water off.

My friends were anxious thinking my camera was damaged, but I said to them "the camera will be fine, don't worry" and calmly switched it back on and showed them the photos I'd taken earlier!

The E3 is still going strong 2 years later ...
Zuiko (5th November 2013)
Old 14th November 2013

Liked 2,246 Times in 1,486 Posts

I often need to work out in the open, and have used both my E1 and E5 in heavy rain without any difficulties.

Clean, fresh rainwater shouldn't be a problem but salt water is, so I would happily risk rinsing a seawater drenched E1/E5 under the tap rather than leaving the salt to do its worst.

I also have a waterproof mobile phone which is great for me, as previous phones have stopped working as soon as they got close to water. This is not just about convenience, but also safety. What use is a mobile phone if it stops working in bad weather or after an unscheduled swim?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing