Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 9th July 2013

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
jam?

Since it came back from having the screen replaced under the warranty/recall I am finding that sometimes the viewfinder and screen go blank and I have to turn the camera off and on again to carry on taking pictures... this has never happened before the recall. It would seem that the mirror less system clicks away then clicks and somehow stays stuck in one position....
any suggestions?
PS happens with any lens
Old 9th July 2013

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts
Re: jam?

What firmware are you on ? is it 1.6 or less, because there is now a 1.7 out, you could try that if you haven't already
I updated mine no prob's, not sure what it does, think it's for the new EVF-4
good luck
Old 9th July 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
Since it came back from having the screen replaced under the warranty/recall I am finding that sometimes the viewfinder and screen go blank and I have to turn the camera off and on again to carry on taking pictures... this has never happened before the recall. It would seem that the mirror less system clicks away then clicks and somehow stays stuck in one position....
any suggestions?
PS happens with any lens
Possibly the "Auto Power Off" setting has been changed to a shorter interval.

It's in the Menu "cogs D" section.

Options are : Off, 5min, 30min, 1Hour, 4Hours.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
jamsa (11th July 2013)
Old 11th July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Possibly the "Auto Power Off" setting has been changed to a shorter interval.

It's in the Menu "cogs D" section.

Options are : Off, 5min, 30min, 1Hour, 4Hours.

Regards.
It was on 1 minute but it was giving a blank view whilst taking pics... surely the sleep timer would not overrule the operation of the camera?
worried it is a problem so tried the default settings no change.
Old 11th July 2013

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Hello Jamsa,
Mine does that from time to time and as you say turning it on and off sorts it out. Have you fitted the grip to the camera as I have a suspicion that there is a momentary loss of power from the grip if it shifts slightly relative to the body which may confuse the electronics in the camera. Mine is set to use the grip battery first so if there is a problem with the power transfer then it may cause problems. It's probably worth checking the contacts between the parts of the grip and the camera for dirt, there shouldn't be any corrosion as they are gold plated.
Regards Jim.
Old 11th July 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
It was on 1 minute but it was giving a blank view whilst taking pics... surely the sleep timer would not overrule the operation of the camera?
worried it is a problem so tried the default settings no change.
Not the Sleep Timer, Auto Power Off which is the next item in the menu and does switch the camera off completely.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 12th July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Not the Sleep Timer, Auto Power Off which is the next item in the menu and does switch the camera off completely.

Regards.
Just checked..it's set for four hours so not the problem... oh dear.....still worried....I can't rely on it as it did it three times at the crucial point when I will never get that image opportunity again... ( sports event).
Old 12th July 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

Sounds like another job for Olympus, or at least contacting them about the problem. Not good, especially if shooting sport!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
jamsa (13th July 2013)
Old 8th August 2013

Unhappy Re: jam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Sounds like another job for Olympus, or at least contacting them about the problem. Not good, especially if shooting sport!
I was at the Edinburgh festival over the last couple of days and as a result of the problem becoming worse have contacted Olympus today. I have been asked to remove the battery for 24 hrs. to see if the problem resolves itself with a reset. If this doesn't work it will go back to them for checking.
I tried different lenses and different modes....the "blank" screen happened on each except when I used the 9fps so it appears the camera does have a problem.