Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 9th December 2007
beardedwombat

Useful E-3 firmware changes we would like to see.

On the offchance that the boffins at Olympus might read this thread I would like to offer a couple of firmware changes that I think might be useful to users:-

1. When changing settings using the 'Super Control Panel' it would be nice to be able to use the up & down arrow keys as well as the left & right keys, so you could jump from line to line without having to scroll through every parameter.
2. Please make it possible to assign functions to the arrow keys as well as the function button, with additional functions e.g. One shot white balance (a la E-1), one shot metering change to preselected meter, one shot ISO change to preselected ISO rating, one shot AF change to preselected mode (from single point to dynamic single point for example), one shot gradation change (to auto perhaps).
3. Improve the battery state indicator to give a more accurate indication of state of charge i.e more than two blocks.
4. Sorry about this but the Nikon "My Menu" idea is a good one!

Anyone like to add any more?

Cheers
Chris
Old 9th December 2007

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts
Re: Useful E-3 firmware changes we would like to see.

The ability to dump the settings in the camera to a text file on the CF card so that one print it /store it on the computer.
Old 9th December 2007
beardedwombat

Another required firmware alteration which is an adjustment rather than a change would be to correct the E-3's inability to autofocus on repeating horizontal or vertical lines such as blinds etc. The E-510 doesn't like them much either but does generally find focus whereas the E-3 just won't focus on this sort of target particularly in lowish light.
Chris
Old 9th December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only thing I'd like is to be able to assign the Metering Mode to the Exp Comp button.

Ideally I'd prefer to be able to change the Exp Comp Button to WB and the WB Button to Metering but thats probably asking too much
Old 9th December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
Another required firmware alteration which is an adjustment rather than a change would be to correct the E-3's inability to autofocus on repeating horizontal or vertical lines such as blinds etc. The E-510 doesn't like them much either but does generally find focus whereas the E-3 just won't focus on this sort of target particularly in lowish light.
Chris

I haven't had a problem with that, I can defocus manually and the AF jumps into focus instantly in both landscape or portrait hold. Thats with the 14-54 in light sufficient to give me 1/4 @f/3.5 (iso100)
Old 10th December 2007
beardedwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
I haven't had a problem with that, I can defocus manually and the AF jumps into focus instantly in both landscape or portrait hold. Thats with the 14-54 in light sufficient to give me 1/4 @f/3.5 (iso100)
I believe this is a focus issue that has been noted elsewhere. For example I seem to remember reading an E-3 preview where the reviewer had problems focussing on a stack of plates. I have just tried focussing on white venetian blinds and on a white radiator and regardless of the focus setting (single point, all points etc) or the lens used, the E-3 failed to focus. On the same targets my E-510 shunts back and forth but does find focus. This is the only focus issue I have found with the E-3, focussing is otherwise very good indeed.
Chris
Old 10th December 2007

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

How about the ability to use an FL40 as we could with the E1, E20 etc? Having to buy a new flash for the relatively small number of times it gets used is an expense I could do without. Putting right the irritating problem noted elsewhere when pictures switch from portrait to landscape whilst being viewed would be a help too.
Old 10th December 2007
emirpprime

How about being able to set My Modes to be able to be used without having to hold the Fn button? I might have missed something with this but it ruins the use for me. Instead I use Custom Reset settings to store my setting modes.
Also, being able to rename and manage them, and have more, would br amazing Especially if they showed in Studio/Master and could be backed up. I think this is really really important, for me
Phil
Old 10th December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,233 Posts
Liked 1,653 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
How about being able to set My Modes to be able to be used without having to hold the Fn button? I might have missed something with this but it ruins the use for me. Instead I use Custom Reset settings to store my setting modes.
Also, being able to rename and manage them, and have more, would br amazing Especially if they showed in Studio/Master and could be backed up. I think this is really really important, for me
Phil
Someone - on Four Thirds User maybe - wanted to be able to download the custom setup and load it onto several other bodies - sounds like a great idea to me.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 10th December 2007
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd appreciate being able to do firmware upgrades from a file downloaded and copied onto a CF card - losing vulnerability to net/computer failures and/or shutdowns while the upgrade is in progress.

And so that I can revert to an earlier version in the event of difficulties.
Old 11th December 2007
beardedwombat

I've thought of another useful firmware mod - press and hold two buttons (say Delete & Playback) to display Format screen, press again to format (pinched from Nikon again I'm afraid).
Chris
Old 12th December 2007

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

How about mirror lock up?

Dave.
Old 12th December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It has Mirror Lock-Up but it's called 'Anti Shock'

Menu > Camera 2 > Anti-Shock > Off/1 sec up to 30secs
Old 12th December 2007

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
It has Mirror Lock-Up but it's called 'Anti Shock'

Menu > Camera 2 > Anti-Shock > Off/1 sec up to 30secs
I beg to differ. Anti shock is not the same as mirror lock up, it is a delayed action . Mirror lock up means that after locking the mirror up, the photographer takes the photo when he/she determines the right time is and is not confined to the delay set in camera.

Dave.
Old 12th December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I beg to differ. Anti shock is not the same as mirror lock up, it is a delayed action . Mirror lock up means that after locking the mirror up, the photographer takes the photo when he/she determines the right time is and is not confined to the delay set in camera.

Dave.

You're right of course, the last camera I used that had MLU was on OM1