Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 14th August 2012
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
17mm olympus or 20mm panasonic

What would you choose and why?
Old 14th August 2012

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
Re: 17mm olympus or 20mm panasonic

I have both..the 17 came with the kit but unfortunately the front element got badly scratched (I blame the dog) I thought it was a fine lens before that, then bought the 20mm as a replacement and thought that was better. A good bit faster - so better out of focus background and possible a little sharper. It feels more robust. 20mm is equivalent to 40mm FF and a bit better as a standard than the wider 17mm (equiv 34mm). The 20mm lives on my E-P1 as a standard lens - its not as compact as the 17mm and does not look as good on the Olympus as the 17 does. I'd love to get a new 17mm but its hard to justify.
so in favour of the 20mm...faster, better absolute IQ, better focal length as a standard lens....in favour of the 17mm...better looking on an Olympus, a bit wider view. Heart buys Olympus, Head buys Panasonic......like most people I have a heart and a head.
Old 14th August 2012

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Lumix 20mm f/1.7.

You gotta love f/1.7...

I had the Zuiko 17mm f/2.8 and I was pleased with it.
I find 34-35mm to be excellent focal length for street photogpraphy and it was my standard lens back when I had the E-P1 (looked awesome too!).

I had the chance however to trade the Zuiko for the Lumix (+ a money diff.) and never reget it. It is a bit faster and ultra sharp even wide open (center sharpness that is).
There is quite a difference between f/1.7 and f/2.8 (1,5 f-stops) and when it gets darker, you realize that the Lumix was the lens to pick.
-Yoshihisa Maitani
Old 14th August 2012
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's really interesting thanks for sharing your opinions guys. Not in a position to buy one just at the minute, opposite really as I need to free up some funds. But I have some options, one of them being m43 and to sell my 4/3 gear.
Old 15th August 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Even though I love the way my 17mm takes great photos, that F1.7 max aperture on the 20mm would tempt me if it was a straight (no price difference) choice.
Old 17th August 2012

Thanked 1,478 Times in 1,406 Posts
Liked 1,387 Times in 886 Posts

I've heard the Pany 20mm can be a little slow to focus on Olympus cameras. But f1.7. This would be my choice.
Old 22nd August 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had the 20mm for my Panasonic cameras but swapped that for a 25mm 1.4 -- no regrets there. Had considered keeping the 20mm for the Pen mini but in the end got a second hand 17mm. It simply looks much nicer on the Mini and adds to the portability. It's also a slightly more useful focal length for what is largely a social camera and backup to the E-M5. Purely on IQ, the 20mm is often much better on edge sharpness and is also faster. For overall rendering I perhaps prefer the Oly slightly (the 20 can seem a bit fierce at times) but taking everything into account the 20mm certainly has the edge on a purely technical level. Both are first generation products with relatively slow autofocus.

David

Old 26th August 2012

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I have never used the 17mm so cant comment, but my panasonic 20mm and Ep1 are almost inseparable. I don't mind the looks mostly use for street and travel on account of the small size, another plus is takes up very little room in my cycle panniers. I am sure that it would be hard to be disappointed either way. Having bought the 20mm it makes no sense for me to buy a 17mm. Given the choice again, the F1.7 would sell it to me. Most of my street shots are at F2 and the detail is impressive!
Old 27th August 2012

Thanked 1,113 Times in 698 Posts
Liked 1,446 Times in 725 Posts

Given the prices of the lens in question, I'd be inclined to opt for the xz-1. Put simply, an extra extremely pocketable camera with an f1.8-2.5 16-24mm lens and x4 zoom it really comes into its own in crowded/street life situations. Takes video and with a low-light option it doesn't draw attention [flash] to itself for those candid shots.

I took some as is indoor shots of my grandson without flash - reasons to be happy - and Catherin Spickerud has some cracking shots with this very camera. Well worth a look.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs