Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-510

Olympus E-510 E-510 specific discussion.

Old 5th July 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colour space for E510

After a great deal of work with the Olympus raw files I have finally moved over to JPEGS using Adobe rgb setting on the camera. Capture one was useless with Olympus raw and lightroom was only a little better. The problem I kept getting was with shadow noise. It was quite obtrusive and the dynamic range was poor. I then decided to see if the camera could do any better using it's built in processor. I chose RGB as my colour space and set the quality to SHQ. I am now finding my shots are that much cleaner and the shadow noise is much improved. I still use raw on my canons and will continue to do so as they give me so much better control. Olympus however is woeful in the raw dept. This is a personal assessment but can't help feeling that others may be experiencing similar problems.
Old 6th July 2008

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: Colour space for E510

Quite the opposite to what I find with the E-510, while the jpegs are very good I can always do better processing from raw using either Adobe's ACR or Silkypix ,although I agree about CO4 being rubbish with Oly files.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 6th July 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I found Capture 1 Four to be good with E-510 files; however it played havoc with my PC and had to come off! I now use ACR 4.5 which is pretty good but not as intuitive to use.
I am much happier processing RAW files - it seems too easy to get it wrong using Jpegs and they are harder to correct.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 6th July 2008
250swb

Quote:
The problem I kept getting was with shadow noise.
Shadow noise can depend on your other camera settings, so as a suggestion if you have 'Auto Gradation' switched on, switch it off as it is a big contributor to noise. And of course you will know that underexposure is the greatest noise generator when it is specifically in shadow areas, and in this case the RAW converter can play a big part in how the image turns out. Some converters work better than others. You could try RawTherapee for free, which isn't bad. But I use ACR and find it perfect for Oly RAW files.

Steve
Old 6th July 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

In ACR you can dial out a lot of shadow noise by increasing the black level and than balancing the other tone controls. It's tricky, but effective.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 6th July 2008
rich s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
Quite the opposite to what I find with the E-510, while the jpegs are very good I can always do better processing from raw using either Adobe's ACR or Silkypix ,although I agree about CO4 being rubbish with Oly files.
In what respect do you find CO4 no good with Oly files?
I've being using it for months now without any probs.
Excellent colour, very quick to process.
Old 6th July 2008

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich s View Post
In what respect do you find CO4 no good with Oly files?
I've being using it for months now without any probs.
Excellent colour, very quick to process.
I just find for me it does not handle Oly colours very well and highlight recovery effect the shadow and mid tones to much compared to ACR, also the noise reduction and sharpening tends to introduce artifacts when examined closely, not a problem if you are going to take the images into a secondary editor to do sharpening and noise reduction but not so good for straight raw conversions..but thats just my take on it and I took it of my computer for those reasons. But as long as you like it I'd stay with it as it would be strange if we all liked the same things and my opinion is just that a opinion and not necessarily right for everyone

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 6th July 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you all for your comments which I have found most enlightening. Quite frankly I don't think Oly raw files have a lot to commend them. Before you start shouting me down though, I have to say that this is my opinion and in no way detracts from the fact that Olympus E series cameras are superb. My paid work is usually done with a Canon 5D and the raw files are a joy to manipulate. I just find that Olympus raw does not come up to my expectations in this respect, in all other aspects it performs admirably.

With best regards

Malcolm