Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 29th April 2008

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: AA batteries

I've had an email from Olympus saying the spare arrived today and is being fitted. Apparently it will take 4-5 days to get to Watford from Portugal and then however long it takes from Watford to here. That means the middle of next week at the earliest by which time I will have been without it for six weeks. I'll let you know then whether the AAs work or not. Incidentally it's not clear from any of the correspondence I have had whether it is the grip or the camera that's at fault.
Old 30th April 2008
Henk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
Apparently it will take 4-5 days to get to Watford from Portugal ...
It travels by donkey?
Old 30th April 2008

What makes you think a donkey is so slow?
Old 30th April 2008
emirpprime

It is a long swim... especially for a donkey!
Old 2nd May 2008

Well, well, well! While I was out collecting the newspaper this morning (the Coop, never my favourite shop, has stopped delivering) a courier arrived with a parcel. It looked as if it could be a camera and I wasnít expecting anything else. Could it be that the donkey had grown wings and returned my camera in record time?

I opened the box in expectation and trepidation. No, it wasnít my E3 but there, hidden in a couple of layers of packaging, was a brand new E3. Surely there was some mistake. I checked the paperwork and my name was on it. It certainly improved the taste of my breakfast coffee, but where was the HLD-4?

A couple of calls to Olympus proved fruitless as the Man-Who-Knew wasnít available. I am still in the dark as the message that was left on the answer machine this afternoon whilst we were out was not clearly audible so Iíll have to wait until Tuesday when things start up again. Service is only available 10-4.

In the meantime I tried it with the LBH-1. It fired off half a dozen rapid shots quite happily, which was six more than the previous camera had managed. So far so good, but Iíll have to wait a while to find out what the situation is with the AAs. At a guess the original problem must have been in the camera rather than the grip.

Iím just wondering what caused this rapid change in service. Was it by any chance the letter I wrote to Mr Handa in Hamburg on Monday? Maybe next week Iíll find out.
Old 2nd May 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
Well, well, well! While I was out collecting the newspaper this morning (the Coop, never my favourite shop, has stopped delivering) a courier arrived with a parcel. It looked as if it could be a camera and I wasnít expecting anything else. Could it be that the donkey had grown wings and returned my camera in record time?

I opened the box in expectation and trepidation. No, it wasnít my E3 but there, hidden in a couple of layers of packaging, was a brand new E3. Surely there was some mistake. I checked the paperwork and my name was on it. It certainly improved the taste of my breakfast coffee, but where was the HLD-4?

A couple of calls to Olympus proved fruitless as the Man-Who-Knew wasnít available. I am still in the dark as the message that was left on the answer machine this afternoon whilst we were out was not clearly audible so Iíll have to wait until Tuesday when things start up again. Service is only available 10-4.

In the meantime I tried it with the LBH-1. It fired off half a dozen rapid shots quite happily, which was six more than the previous camera had managed. So far so good, but Iíll have to wait a while to find out what the situation is with the AAs. At a guess the original problem must have been in the camera rather than the grip.

Iím just wondering what caused this rapid change in service. Was it by any chance the letter I wrote to Mr Handa in Hamburg on Monday? Maybe next week Iíll find out.
Oh well, things are beginning to look better. Fingers crossed for next week...

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 2nd May 2008
emirpprime

Glad things are looking up! Certainly must have been a nice suprise.
Perhaps Oly custom service has turned a corner...
Phil
Old 3rd May 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, that's good news, and you've got a camera for the Bank Holiday weekend too
Old 3rd May 2008

Small heart attack this morning. There was an envelope from Olympus and I could see the word invoice. Fortunately the sum turned out to be £0.00. Phew!

Anyway it's nice to have an E3 again. I put the newly acquired 12-60mm on it and then switched to the 50-200mm plus newly acquired 1.4 for some animal shots. Very satisfying but the £s were heavy! The E510 I've been using in the interim is a fine machine but nowhere near as satisfying to use as the E3.

Interestingly the new body came with firmware 1.0. I'd have thought new machines would have had their firmware updated to 1.1 Of course I only discovered that after I'd put all the settings on so had to do them all over again.
Old 10th May 2008
Paulpp

Just wondering whether you have managed to see if AA batteries now work?
Old 11th May 2008

Not yet. I received an email last Monday saying the grip was awaiting despatch. It still hasn't arrived. Although I've had the replacement E3 for over a week (I was without one for five weeks altogether) I've so far been without the grip for over six weeks.

You may rest assured there will be a test with AAs when I get the chance and also a few comments on the service provided by Olympus.
Old 12th May 2008

Liked 2,251 Times in 1,486 Posts

In my expereince, Olympus always returns E-System cameras in brand-new condition, regardless of the reason they were sent.

I dropped my E1 a month ago, and it came back looking brand new.
Old 16th May 2008

The HLD-4 finally arrived on Monday with a note saying nothing had been found wrong with it. I wasn't too surprised as I had expected the problem lay in the camera.

I was in France using the E3 so it wasn't until Wednesday that I was able to try the AAs. After the success with the LBH-1 reported above I was quite confident. However I got the same result as on all previous occasions - zilch. I then thought I'd try the LBH-1 again. It took one shot and died, so I am back to square one there too, as now it can't even manage one shot. Interestingly with the LBH-1 inserted I get a green battery indicator whereas with the AAs, which are new, I get red.

I spoke to a lady at Olympus with rather mixed results. She said I'd be better using rechargeables so I gave that a go and got a red indicator and not much else. I said that I thought the only solution would be for me to travel to Watford and pick up a completely new outfit that has been properly tested with AAs and the LBH-1. She's off talking to the techie folk and I'm promised a call back. From the general tenor of the conversation I got the distinct impression that my problem is far from unique. It seems that firmware 1.1 has sorted out some problems but not all.

We know from his posts that Paulpp has problems. Is there anyone else out there who can shed some light on the matter please? Surely Paul and I cannot be the only forum members who can't make the thing do what it says on the tin. How many others can't make it work and how many have been able to?

In all I was without a camera for five weeks and the grip for over six, to which must be added nearly three weeks when the kit went away the first time. I'll reserve comment on Olympus service until after the matter is resolved.
Old 16th May 2008
Paulpp

Thanks for the update even if not encouraging. I will certainly not be sending mine to Olympus. Ian was going to take it up with Olympus Japan, not sure if he has been able to do so.
Old 23rd May 2008
Paulpp

Just wondering whether you got any further with Watford and/or whether Ian managed to find anything out from Japan (China?)