Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 27th May 2011

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts
Re: Anyone still using an EP1?

I'll just add that the Panny 20mm is a superb lens, slightly bigger than I expected but extremely sharp and fast enough that you end up shooting at lower ISO than you might expect in more challenging light.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
chrism_scotland (27th May 2011)
Old 28th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for input folks, I'm a little conflicted to be honest, I really had looked at the EP1 based on price and the feeling that build wise its a cracker but now I'm also looking at some of the Panasonics with the EVF built in, however I'm leaning toward the Pen as I don't really want anything much bigger than that!
Old 28th May 2011

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

A couple of thoughts....

Do you like post processing or prefer high quality Jpegs with pop straight out of the camera?
Without doubt the Panasonic m4/3 cameras are great and are capable of producing fantastic images but if Jpegs are your preference then an Oly Pen is just that bit superior.
Of course with the Pen you can still play around with RAW if you want to

If you are tempted by a EVF I don't think there is better one that the VF-2 from Oly (having compared Oly and Panny EVFs).
If you went for an E-P2, E-PL1 or E-PL2 you could add the VF-2 at a later date and still have the compact body you desire.
Currently SRS have some very keen pricing on the E-PL1 with the kit lens http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/442...2mm-Lens-.html

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
chrism_scotland (28th May 2011)
Old 28th May 2011
E-P1 fan

Chris - I had the same dilemma and plumped for the E-P1. Build quality is unparalled - imaging is very good. If you can live without the latest bits of tech to make your pics better and want to work with a solid & superb camera - I'd certainly recommend the E-P1 over anything else. Luckily most people feel the need to have 'the latest' so that leaves the E-P1 leading the quality market - at a really competitive price. Go on - join an exclusive group that prefers quality over newness.

I adore my E-P1 and love using it
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 28th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
A couple of thoughts....

Do you like post processing or prefer high quality Jpegs with pop straight out of the camera?
Without doubt the Panasonic m4/3 cameras are great and are capable of producing fantastic images but if Jpegs are your preference then an Oly Pen is just that bit superior.
Of course with the Pen you can still play around with RAW if you want to

If you are tempted by a EVF I don't think there is better one that the VF-2 from Oly (having compared Oly and Panny EVFs).
If you went for an E-P2, E-PL1 or E-PL2 you could add the VF-2 at a later date and still have the compact body you desire.
Currently SRS have some very keen pricing on the E-PL1 with the kit lens http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/442...2mm-Lens-.html
I know that the Olympus in camera JPEG processing is meant to be better, I'm not averse to some post processing but its nice to have the option of using the JPEGs.

I've seen some size comparison photo's and I think that the G2 is actually too large for what I'm looking for so I'm likely to be picking up an EP1, I considered the EPL1 as I know its dirt cheap at the moment but I don't like the build v the EP1.

I've noticed some decent prices on used EP2's but at 400 its more than I was looking to spend with the EP1 & 17mm kit being 300 new.
Old 28th May 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism_scotland View Post
... but now I'm also looking at some of the Panasonics with the EVF built in ...
Come over to the cheap side, buy an old G1 ...
Old 28th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I might consider a G1, although I do really like the styling of the Pen..... arghhh
Old 28th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know a lots been said about using an EVF for manual focusing of legacy lenses, if I'm planning on for the moment using only Panasonic or Olympus AF lenses (& perhaps 4/3 with an adaptor) would just an LCD suffice for that?
Old 28th May 2011

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism_scotland View Post
I know a lots been said about using an EVF for manual focusing of legacy lenses, if I'm planning on for the moment using only Panasonic or Olympus AF lenses (& perhaps 4/3 with an adaptor) would just an LCD suffice for that?
That setup works for me -

Roger
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerMac For This Useful Post:
Old 28th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks mate.
As I'm planning on using only native lenses for now I think the EP1 will do me fine, it fits my requirements on price, size and image quality.
I will have a final play in Jessops when I go in on Monday and see what I think size wise about the G1/G2 but I believe its just too big for what I'm looking for just now, that said even if I get the EP1 if I saw a cheap used G1 later I'd probably give it a try!

At least I've narrowed it down to a system now, have also been considering the Samsung NX system again based on the cracking prices at the moment and the decent lens lineup but I don't think I'm so keen on the NX100 as I am the EP1.
Old 29th May 2011
E-P1 fan

I also had a G9 - very good, very convenient - but the E-P1 was just always used and won the 'camera of choice' award easily
Old 30th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks again folks, think ill be ordering an EP1 later today.