Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 26th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noise Filter Settings

Hi,

is there anyway to find out what noise filter settings have been used on an image taken as jpeg. I've tried using Master 2 but while the 'As Shot' setting is shown for an Orf (Raw) file in the develop page there appears to be nothing either in exif or in the jpeg processing page to indicate the setting (off/low/standard/high) if the original was taken as jpeg.
Old 26th November 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts
Re: Noise Filter Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
Hi,

is there anyway to find out what noise filter settings have been used on an image taken as jpeg. I've tried using Master 2 but while the 'As Shot' setting is shown for an Orf (Raw) file in the develop page there appears to be nothing either in exif or in the jpeg processing page to indicate the setting (off/low/standard/high) if the original was taken as jpeg.
I don't know the anser to this question, but I'd guess it was a custom 'Maker note' value in the EXIF data. You will need a dedicated EXIF reader to gain access to these entries.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 26th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ian, thanks, it's no big deal as I usually shoot Raw. It's unfortunate though that if I want to apply the Olympus Noise Filter presets I need to use Master 2 but as I normally use Lightroom I'll need to come up with an alternative solution.

What do you do if you want to shoot Raw at say iso1600 or 3200?

Richard
Old 26th November 2007
emirpprime

Personally I shoot RAW, import into Lightrooma and convert to DNG, process (except sharpening if I know there is noise to deal with), then export into Photoshop where I use Noise Ninja. Then sharpen and output.

Depends on your workflow I guess. Also, I do it this was partly as I really don't like Master or Studio. I just can't wait for Lightroom to include Noise Ninja (apparently being worked on now Adobe released the APIs for 3rd party developers).

All the best,
Phil
Old 26th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

sounds pretty much like my current workflow. I've actually only got the Free version of 'Neat Image' which works outside of PS but I too process in Lightroom and output to PS for sizing, sharpening saving for web etc.

Cheers, Richard