Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 17th March 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Goodbye

After an all to brief length of time I find I am having to say goodbye to the E-System Forum

I have come to the decision that I cant justify buying further into the four-thirds system and have now sold off all my kit. I know I am going to miss my 12-60mm and 50-200mm lenses, there isnt much to match them out there but I just cant bring myself to spend 1500 on an E5 thinking that may be the last Oly 4/3 DSLR and the future for my lovely glass is on a micro 4/3rds body via an adaptor.

I did consider an E3 or E30 - but, although as good as they are, they are already 'older' models - if Olympus arent going to bring a new Exx or EXXX body out I cant see myself continuing to buy into the system.

I came to my decision as I've found the E510 wanting slightly in the nature photography that I do - dont get me wrong it is a very cabable camera but it does have some real limitations when you're photographing badgers in heavily shaded woodland.

I will still visit the forums as people on here I found and generally more friendly than some other sites - and things like the photoshop user guides/tips are simply fantastic. I just wont be posting any images as obviuosly this is an E-system forum and I no longer own the camera! (there may be 1or 2 pictures from my E510 that I havent processed yet though!)

I just want to say a big thank you to the whole community on here, you've been most helpful, knowledgable and friendly to me when I was first starting out.

Thanks again

Neil
Old 17th March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts
Re: Goodbye

Sorry to hear that you've left the E-System, Neil, but I understand and respect your decision. Glad to hear it's not completely goodbye, though, and that you will still be dropping in. You will still be most welcome.

What system have you moved to? Do let us know how you get on, personal experience might be useful to others who may be thinking of jumping ship!

All the best.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
roadkill_6mm (17th March 2011)
Old 17th March 2011

Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Good luck with your new system.
The Following User Says Thank You to xp1 For This Useful Post:
roadkill_6mm (17th March 2011)
Old 17th March 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks guys.

I've decided to go down the Canon route - after a visit to Jessops to weigh up the 60d from canon and the d7000 from Nikon I decided to get the 60d (though getting it from Kerso as he's 100 cheaper than the shop)

What I am finding bewildering is the different lenses and specs and now having to remember that it's now the lens that has image stabilisation....not the body!!

Hey ho

Regards

Neil
Old 17th March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

The 60D has had some great reviews and has the benefit of an Olympus style articulated screen - and being part of a system with a more certain future. You'll need to choose the glass carefully after owning a Zuiko 12-60 and 50-200mm. Good luck, I'm sure you will be more than satisfied once you get used to it.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th March 2011

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

I must admit that if I could afford it I would probably move to full frame. The number of full framers in my club is growing all the time.
But I can't afford it yet therefore I will continue to use my E-3 and the wonderful Zuiko glass.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 17th March 2011

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Good luck Neil. Your leaving has made me feel quite sad as I feel that your thoughts reflect what many others are thinking. Do post some of your Canon images as I believe you are allowed to do so others have shared non-oly ones as long as you don't try and win one of the challenges with one!

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good luck with your new camera. Enjoy your photography - that's what it's all about
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Neil

I'm really pleased with the 50-200 lens and it was great talking with you. I really hope you find what your seeking in the new kit you get. Thanks and good luck.

Paul
Old 18th March 2011
JackBenedict

Good luck with the change. I will probably within 6 months have follwed you,but for me Nikon will be the preferred route.
Old 18th March 2011

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Best of luck with the new system Neil, sorry to see you're parting with your Oly kit but in the end it is image that matters not the gear.
I too would be interested to hear your experiences with your new Canon gear and some images would be great

In my own experienceOly glass is very hard to match (as you have identified), particularly the outstanding quality of the zooms.
No doubt there are other great zooms (from other manufacturers) but I have found that the quality from one lens to another is just not as consistent as Olympus.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr