Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 1st February 2011

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Is it just me or does anybody else agree

In September I replaced my E520 and broken Ixus 60 with an E-P1 in order to have a smaller, more portable package for travelling but retaining proper photographic functionality.

I must admit I have tried hard but struggled to get on with the E-P1 so much so that I now prefer not to take a camera than bother with the bulk and compromises of the E-P1 - it has changed me from being an enthusiast into a reluctant indifferentist. It looks great with it's 3rd party real leather skin, takes pretty good photos and can do video.

But... The user experience (with firmware 1.4) is slow compared to a snappy SLR and the kit lens vignettes quite a bit at 14mm although this improves with a step-up filter ring attached. Furthermore, m4/3rds lenses are more expensive than their 4/3rds counterparts so adding more is not a sensible option. To remedy this I would love to use my 12-60mm and 8mm on the camera but that means spending more and taking an adaptor and a whole set of large lenses with me thus negating the point of such a small camera compared to the E520, especially given the comparative sloth.

As the days get warmer, longer and lighter I will work on our differences but I fear that they are too deep to remedy. Obviously one can point out that it is the photographer that makes the picture but it's not for lack of me trying and hopefully not a lack of skill. I just have a nagging feeling that I have replaced neither of my original two cameras.

Does anybody else feel this way about their m4/3 choice? If not, what am I missing?

Nick
Old 1st February 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Is it just me or does anybody else agree

Some interesting points there which made me think hard about my experiences with the E-P2 and the G2.

Yes, the Pen is not as "snappy" as a regular DSLR, however the G2 is better in this respect. But having said that, if I want to take "action" shots, I accept that limitation and use my E-1. And the actual experience of shooting a photograph with the Pen is enhanced by its superb feel and build quality. Really sturdy.

Regarding lenses, I have not yet used the kit 14-42 on either camera. My most used lens on both is the Panasonic 20mm. I've nothing bad to say about this lens. The 9-18 is also well used but is frustrating because it "collapses" when not in use. I also like using the 14-54 Mk2 especially on the G2, but accept that this is a bulky lens. It does feel well balanced on the G2, but goes against the "compact" nature of m4/3 bodies. The 40-150 Mk2 is good on both cameras - I'm talking here about the regular 4/3 version. Size-wise it does not feel out of place, and is ridiculously inexpensive. I've never tried the m4/3 version.

However, there are many days when I rue selling my E-620. For me, that epitomises the ethic of Olympus - quality in a small format. The larger Olympuses, whilst of high quality, could almost be just any other make.

I have recently seriously considered a new channel using medium format, alongside m4/3, but have come to the conclusion that this would just be a "fad" for me and it would end up gathering dust.

So, yes, I understand your concerns but suggest that you try an m4/3 with an EVF, such as the E-P2 or Panasonic G1/2 before you give up on the whole idea. It does make a difference, honestly!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 1st February 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,227 Posts
Liked 1,635 Times in 730 Posts

I think the culprit in terms of 'snappy-ness' or lack of, is the 14-42 (Mark 1) kit lens (the 17mm pancake has the same problem). But use any of the later lenses and Panasonic lenses and the AF slowness becomes a distant memory.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 1st February 2011

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

I reckon it's horses for courses. It's all a compromise between lots of things - size, weight, cost, quality, ease of use and more - and we can choose the tools which best suit our needs.

One of the good things about digital has been that improvements in one format have made it through to others in due course. The technology is still developing at quite a rate so no one format offers everything that it could, but give it time and there is no reason why it shouldn't. For me, one of the dreams is a roughly Pen- (or GF-1-) sized body with E-1/3/5 standard weatherproofing, an integrated very high quality viewfinder and E-5 image quality with a few lenses to match. It won't do everything - physics means you will never get a small 300mm f/2.8 for example - but would be superb as a go-anywhere machine. The technology is nearly all there now, spread around various systems, we just need to wait for the engineering and marketing to catch up and knit it together.

Meanwhile I'm quite happy to use the E's for big-lens sport, take the Panny on cycling holidays and use other things for other purposes. I even stick a roll of B&W neg film in the OM1 or Mu occasionally just for the hell of it.

Ciao ... John
Old 2nd February 2011

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Thanks to you all for the input.

You are right, I do like the quality of the E-P1 and I would miss that with another body. I see that the 20mm gets a great write-up at DPReview so I could see that coming to the party - I will test the 14-42 at that length and see whether I can get used to composing that way.

I think an MMF-1 or 2 might well find it's way onto the E-P1 for longer focal lenghts, such as 40-150, too.

That's 300 by my count.

Nick
Old 2nd February 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

If you're canny or lucky you can pick up an adaptor for around 100 http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...d=0CEEQ8wIwBA#, and remember the Panasonic version is identical but cheaper. And Currys have the 40-150 for 79 online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_E View Post

I think an MMF-1 or 2 might well find it's way onto the E-P1 for longer focal lenghts, such as 40-150, too.

That's 300 by my count.

Nick

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site