Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 19th December 2007
dlinney

Question HLD-4 : Not the usual post

So, I get my free grip for my E-3 and happily mount it on the camera. It works, but has minor irritation that Fn button cannot be programmed to AFL so have to swap AFL and Fn which I don't want to do when using E-3 in landscape (rather than portrait) mode since I find the AFL button falls very easily to thumb whereas Fn is a bit too close the the shutter release position.

...... but this is irrelevant ..........

The point is I simply don't like grips. On all my film cameras (EOS 50D, EOS 3, EOS 1V, EOS 5) and most of my digital cameras (EOS 10D, 20D, 5D) I have had a grip which I have subsequently sold because I didn't use them. So why was I excited at getting my HLD-4 grip when I knew, really, that I wouldn't use it?

I simply find that shooting vertical (portrait mode) I prefer the hand over the top position to the upright use of the grip. Am I alone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vertical_01.jpg (55.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 19th December 2007
emirpprime

Re: HLD-4 : Not the usual post

I do for short shoots, its just too much hassle swapping shooting position. However if you are doing a lot portrait, its just so much more comfortable to use a grip. I guess its a question of shooting style. Or are you just contrary?
Phil
Old 19th December 2007

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

I'm with the OP on this. I'd rather have a couple of extra batteries in my pocket than carry the weight and bulk of a grip. Mind you, I've never tried using one, so I 'might' just be converted if I tried! OTOH, at my age I only want to carry what I need to!

Andrew
Old 19th December 2007
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Riddell View Post
I'm with the OP on this. I'd rather have a couple of extra batteries in my pocket than carry the weight and bulk of a grip. Mind you, I've never tried using one, so I 'might' just be converted if I tried! OTOH, at my age I only want to carry what I need to!

Andrew
One very practical thing I have notice is that the extra height introduced by the grip gives a much more stable shooting position even in landscape format.

I have fitted mine and will not remove it for this reason alone.

Its like all things in life, we have our personal preferences.

Kind regards

PeterD
Old 19th December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It depends what I'm shooting, when hill walking I only carry the 14-54mm or now the 12-60mm and don't use a grip but when I'm using my 50-200mm and EC14 I find a grip improves the handling.
Ian C.
Old 20th December 2007

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I'm a grip fan but mainly use it if I've got a long lens on or intend to do a lot of portrait shots. I think I'll get the new grip strap as the one from the E1 is too small for my hands.
Old 20th December 2007

Liked 664 Times in 282 Posts

I got a 2nd hand grip for the E1 and a free HLD-4 with the E-3, and I just find the camera too bulky & heavy with them fitted. Almost all of my photography involves walking around places so the weight and size is a major factor. They don't offer me any benefit over a couple of spare batteries in my pocket.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 20th December 2007

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

Not sure if the lenses focus faster with the grip, will do a test.
Dave.