Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-30

Olympus E-30 An Olympus 12.1MP upper mid-range DSLR, the E-30.

Old 5th August 2010

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts
Any multi-exposures from E30?

Has anybody taken any multi-exposures shots with the E30 or other models? It's something I have tried briefly, but never really made any purposeful photos.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 5th August 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Any multi-exposures from E30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Has anybody taken any multi-exposures shots with the E30 or other models? It's something I have tried briefly, but never really made any purposeful photos.
If you mean exposure bracketting - lots of us use that technique, probably too much. I shoot with the e-3, but I don't think the implementation has changed much across the models.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 5th August 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I think Ross might mean the Multiple Exposure facility, whereby multiple (up to 4) frames of pictures can be saved as a single image. Page 51 of the manual.

No, I've never tried this (yet!).

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 5th August 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ross

I also have not done this. A bit like the image filters, I would happily have a camera that dispensed with such 'in camera processing' in favour of an E-30 that has the same physical/hardware attributes (size, weight, articulated screen) together with better ISO and 7 frame exposure bracketing... oh, and I'd like a cheap, fast prime a la the nifty fifty of the Canon (in Oly terms a 35-40mm f1.8 prime that comes in at around 100)... and a cheaper UWA lens with rear filters (ie the 7-14mm being offered for ca. 600 but with the ability to still use an ND110 type filter on the rear element as the design will never accomodate front filters).

That said, I would be interested to see some examples of the multi-exposure in practice (the example in the manual of a big cat fused with a human face doesn't excite me).

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP
Old 5th August 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

If I really needed to do multi exposure (several shots on one frame), I would combine them in Photoshop (using layers and "Lighten" mode I guess) because you can always remove some or all of the shots.

Once you have done it in the camera however, you can't go back...

Same reason I would shoot in colour and convert to B+W in the computer rather than shoot B+W in the camera.

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 5th August 2010

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
If I really needed to do multi exposure (several shots on one frame), I would combine them in Photoshop (using layers and "Lighten" mode I guess) because you can always remove some or all of the shots.

Once you have done it in the camera however, you can't go back...

Same reason I would shoot in colour and convert to B+W in the computer rather than shoot B+W in the camera.

Pete
I think you can still go back & use all the RAW files (assuming you are saving JPEG & RAW). The example using the moon as part of the image is one good one, but should be against a dark sky to effectively combine the other photos. If you have taken some good shots of the moon with its placement being in various places & saved them (copied to) the XD card, they are then there to use for some interesting overlays using live view for compositional allignment. Just think, a flash exposure of a lovely nude against a dark background could be creativly used similarly. Ah, my evil mind is at work again.

Another thing that would be good is a multi-flash function with Olympus flashes, but this can be done manually or the multple exposure feature could be used too. This following photo was done using my E520 & FL50 flash hand held, manually firing (set to manual).

A stronger flash level could have been used here.

I'd still like to see some creative multiple exposures done with the E30 built in feature. I believe other later model cameras include this feature too.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).