Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 21st June 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts
E3 Replacement - Why not NOW?

Just been looking at image comparison samples between (amongst others) the Pen E-P1, Canon 50D and Nikon D5000. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EP1/EP1A.HTM

I was surprised, shocked even, to see that with this new sensor/processor combination Olympus appears to have not just gained ground but actually caught up with Canon and Nikon APS-C sensor sized technology.

If this is truely the case why bother waiting months or even years to produce a completely re-designed E3 replacement?

As far as I'm concerned the E3 design is pretty much perfect just as it is and still has enough features to be regarded as state of the art. So why not just continue producing it exactly the same but with the new sensor/processor? In one fell swoop that would wrong foot both Nikon and Canon and cause more than a little mild panic in their R&D departments!

Name for the upgraded camera? How about the E3ns (new sensor)?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd June 2009

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: E3 Replacement - Why not NOW?

If there's going to be an E3 replacement we need more than just a better sensor. The lack of a manual switch between auto and manual focussing was a backward move compared to the E1.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 22nd June 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

They could also learn from the Panny G1 and provide a simple switch for auto-bracketing up to 7 steps with one press-and-hold of the shutter button. It's things like this that a photographer needs, not dubious video capture and flashy "filters".

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 22nd June 2009
geirsan

Of course there are limits with the E3. I would like the mode dial back and why not on the left side, where there is space.

But I still think a sensor upgrade would be the way to go. I just spent 1200 on the E3 with equipment, and there is no way I can afford an upgrade the next three to five years. With new cameras coming out all of the time, I won't be able to sell it to finance an upgrade, so for me the only serious way would be a sensor upgrade. That would mean more bucsk to Olympus than what they'll get from me the way it is now.

But there are tecnical issues, aren't there? A new sensor would mean a different way of handling heat for instance, and would the processor work with it? Maybe it's just not possible to do technically without a steep price?
Old 22nd June 2009
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Just been looking at image comparison samples between (amongst others) the Pen E-P1, Canon 50D and Nikon D5000. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EP1/EP1A.HTM

I was surprised, shocked even, to see that with this new sensor/processor combination Olympus appears to have not just gained ground but actually caught up with Canon and Nikon APS-C sensor sized technology.

If this is truely the case why bother waiting months or even years to produce a completely re-designed E3 replacement?

As far as I'm concerned the E3 design is pretty much perfect just as it is and still has enough features to be regarded as state of the art. So why not just continue producing it exactly the same but with the new sensor/processor? In one fell swoop that would wrong foot both Nikon and Canon and cause more than a little mild panic in their R&D departments!

Name for the upgraded camera? How about the E3ns (new sensor)?

I'm looking for the E-30ns as well (the E-3's still a bit of a lump for me) or maybe even an E-5xxns

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 23rd October 2009
Rebel

Higher res back screen would be nice, going the dual processor route will help raise frame rates and write speeds.
Old 23rd October 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
They could also learn from the Panny G1 and provide a simple switch for auto-bracketing up to 7 steps with one press-and-hold of the shutter button. It's things like this that a photographer needs, not dubious video capture and flashy "filters".
one press (of a pair of buttons) with one click of a wheel gives you 5x1 on the E3 and E30, and then the same for off again - seems good enough to me.
Old 23rd October 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

having failed misserably to avoid buying an E30 at giveaway prices I think it's now extremely likely that the E3 replacement will be 'very now' (2 weeks) and that it will be better specced and lower priced than anticipated!

I will of course be delighted for everyone that gets one...
Old 23rd October 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
having failed misserably to avoid buying an E30 at giveaway prices I think it's now extremely likely that the E3 replacement will be 'very now' (2 weeks) and that it will be better specced and lower priced than anticipated!

I will of course be delighted for everyone that gets one...
I'm pretty sure there will be no E-3 replacement announced, let alone shipping, this side of PMA next February.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 23rd October 2009
talepictures.com

That's a shame Ian. Agree with the OP that an e-3 update, not successor, should be released asap.
Old 23rd October 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talepictures.com View Post
That's a shame Ian. Agree with the OP that an e-3 update, not successor, should be released asap.
What do you mean by 'update' - do you mean Olympus should simply replace the sensor, fiirmware, and image processor and produce and retain the same body?

Or do you mean offer the same as a service update for existing E-3 owners?

I don't think either is feasible. The pace of change is too fast. I also think that Olympus would want to make detail changes to the external control positions and maybe add new controls.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 23rd October 2009
EH1

Smile Re: E3 Replacement - Why not NOW?

A remote sensor on the back would be good!
Old 23rd October 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
What do you mean by 'update' - do you mean Olympus should simply replace the sensor, fiirmware, and image processor and produce and retain the same body?

Or do you mean offer the same as a service update for existing E-3 owners?

I don't think either is feasible. The pace of change is too fast. I also think that Olympus would want to make detail changes to the external control positions and maybe add new controls.

Ian
When I originally started this thread I felt at the time that a "stop gap" update, retaining the same body but replacing the sensor, firmware and processor, would have been appropriate given that a true replacement wasn't expected anytime soon. It seemed sensible to capitalize on an apparently significant improvement in Four Thirds sensor technology to improve the existing flagship model.

However, the months have passed by and it's probably getting to the stage where a full replacement should be on the agenda, at least sometime during 2010. To consider an update now would probably be counter productive in that it would almost certainly delay the eventual replacement, particularly with so much of the company's resources going into the booming micro four thirds market.

I think we'll just have to remain patient. After all the existing E3 isn't a bad camera to "make do" with, is it?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th October 2009
talepictures.com

Yes Ian. I'm happy with the e-3 body and layout. Upgrade sensor, processor, fps, lcd, best they can get from current AF unit, add video (don't need new buttons just add a video mode accessed by mode + dial press) and swap xd for sd or second CF.

This would give the time for a real revolutionary successor in 2011 (as upgrade is mainly adding features from other cameras like e-30 and e-p1). It would reassure current users that upgrades are not every 4 years and bring back into competition with other manufacturers so attracting new users (exactly your point about things changing too quickly - it needs to be now or they have to leap frog the competition with the next one in a years time, I doubt they'll manage that). Perhaps a lot depends on what they plan the successor to be. Is it going to be an improved E-3 so doing better than all the upgrades I've suggested plus a lot more like altering the body as you mentioned. Or do they have something completely different in mind? If that something completely different in mind is to compromise some of the performance features of the E-3 because it's so different then an upgraded E-3 should definitely be released asap. Therefore not leaving the users who need really fast performance back in 2007 for 4 more years.

Do you think there is going to be a successor announced in February then? Maybe I was a bit premature to say that would be a shame to you previous comment and maybe I take too much notice of rumours
Old 24th October 2009
talepictures.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I think we'll just have to remain patient. After all the existing E3 isn't a bad camera to "make do" with, is it?
Obviously not but I'd rather buy an updated E-3 than another E-3 as I will be getting another body once I've cleared out all the equipment I don't need. I would get an E-30 (as that does a number of the desired updates) but the weathersealing is vital.