Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus' OM-D model aimed squarely at professional photographers

Old 11th February 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,439 Times in 1,228 Posts
Liked 1,641 Times in 734 Posts
Re: E-M1X thoughts and excellent Dave Etchells video

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
It's at least four years ago that I heard the rumours of organic sensors. I'm wondering if they'll make it into a camera before I'm in a wooden box!

Really, the only thing stopping a BSI m43 sensor is someone paying Sony or Towerjazz the money to develop it. BSI is mature technology now and would probably give us an extra half stop to a stop of light efficiency (i.e. reduced noise). Personally I think that would be well worth having and more than anything we've seen since the original E-M5.

FYI - here's a side-by-side comparison, courtesy of ePhotozine, showing the 20Mp non-BSI sensor from the RX100 on the left with the 20Mp BSI sensor from the RX100II on the right at ISO 6400. A definite improvement:

The colorchecker test target on the right isn't in focus

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 11th February 2019

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,942 Times in 1,079 Posts

I thought this interview was interesting. Always the underdog, Olympus engineers show they can play with the alphas.

With the updated AF I wonder if we will see an updated AF in the E-M1 Mk II in a FW update? I can always wish!

Quote:
Whats new on the autofocus system on the E-M1X?

Tetsuo Kikuchi: For movie function, we use phase detection autofocus. We use a new way of controlling the system that makes the autofocus system more accurate. To be very concrete, in the past sometimes the autofocus just goes to the background. With this new autofocus system, we made sure that the focus is stacked with the object. This is more accurate than earlier E-M1 series.

What is the AF system rated for in low light?

Tetsuo Kikuchi: The sensor itself is the same, but we took a different approach to have more accurate autofocus with new algorithms. As a result, low light conditions are much more improved than the previous model.

This time, wed like to stress the 9-point autofocus. The target for us was to have the same accuracy as a DSLR. We believe that we have achieved that with this new model. The trick is using the 9-point autofocus [mode]. Sometimes we see that if you use the continuous autofocus, the focus is not always stable. Sometimes focus is here and there, its a very small thing but this is very important for professionals.

We adjusted the algorithm to make sure the autofocus is always in the center. This is a very specific adjustment that we have made.

You will notice it when you use the nine-point AF and continuous autofocus, you will see a difference from previous models.

What technology made it possible to get that DSLR-like performance?

Tetsuo Kikuchi: We cannot explain the details, its confidential. But what we can say is that this is very much a new algorithm and the combination with the sensor priority autofocus makes this autofocus system very accurate.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 12th February 2019

Liked 488 Times in 136 Posts

That's good news about the CAF improvements, probably wont come to the mk2 camera,there was no mention of speed of focus acquisition, I hope this has improved and not at the cost of centralisation bias.Will wait for proof in future action reviews (little bird bifs)