Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 25th October 2016

Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts
Re: Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC DM Mft fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I just looked at some images of this Sigma lens. It's huge. Slightly bigger than the 75/1.8. I guess it's not surprising since it's designed for APS-C.
Because it is designed for APS-C, the mft camera it is using only the center of this lens. So it has advantages against native mft lenses at the same price range:
-sharp corners;
-less vigneting than PanaLeica;
-less distorsions than PanaLeica (maybe longer focal length also helps here);
-less chromatic aberations than PanaLeica (ok this has nothing to do with the format, it has to do with the glass).

Here is the DXO comparison between Sigma and PanaLeica:
https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...91_909_450_909

Except the resolution where PanaLeica has a slight atvantage, in rest Sigma always wins.
In my opinion, Sigma is a better portrait lens than PanaLeica because is longer. And Olympus 45mm is better than both.
-----------
Old 25th October 2016

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Just an innocent question about DOF for Portraits. There must be a fairly standard, give or take, for the distance between an adult tip of nose to say back of ear+. for Portraits is that not the crucial field depth?
Old 25th October 2016

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katran View Post
In my opinion, Sigma is a better portrait lens than PanaLeica because is longer. And Olympus 45mm is better than both.
-----------
I use neither the Sigma 30mm or PanLeica 25mm as a portrait lens. I also have the Olympus 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8 for portraits.

A close comparison would be that the Sigma and Panleica are ideal for photographing couples (as at wedding receptions for example), siblings, pets (when you want the whole body of the cat or dog included) and other similar situations. Both are also very good to photograph paintings at full aperture in galleries and such where flash is not allowed.

One factor that is slightly annoying with the Sigma is the slow autofocus and a frequent tendency to 'hunt'. The PanLeica and Olympi have no such issues.
Old 29th October 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
One factor that is slightly annoying with the Sigma is the slow autofocus and a frequent tendency to 'hunt'. The PanLeica and Olympi have no such issues.

I do not have this lens.
But DPREVIEW says the oposite in their review:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sig...-lens-review/4

"On an Olympus, the Sigma seems to behave just like any Micro Four Thirds lens would. Autofocus acquisition is rather snappy, especially when the lens doesn't need to move far to acquire focus. It is almost identical in speed to the Panasonic, once again giving a slight edge to the more expensive glass, which makes this next finding quite a surprise. Mount the Sigma on a Panasonic, in this case the GX8, switch it to AF-C, and the Sigma behaves much like a native Panasonic lens. It starts doing the rapid trademark wobble of Panasonic cameras, and is surprisingly quick for a camera relying on only CDAF. So, in terms of AF performance, the Sigma is at no great disadvantage over the Pana-Leica."

It's a big lens in deed, but much cheaper than PanaLeica.
Probably many people will find it attractive.
I will probably not buy it because I do not use this focals (25...30mm) too often.
I hope Sigma will build similar lenses with other focal lenses. Maybe an 19mm and 60mm.
Old 29th October 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by katran View Post
So, in terms of AF performance, the Sigma is at no great disadvantage over the Pana-Leica."
This is blatantly untrue. I have both the lenses and use the Sigma 30mm f1.4 with my Olympus OMD EM5II and the PanLeica 25mm f1.4 with my Olympus Pen-F. But I tried both lenses on the EM5II with several different types of subjects and the PanLeica's AF was significantly faster with every one of them. I am OK with the Sigma's slower AF but to say that it is as fast as the PanLeica is pure bunkum.
Old 29th October 2016

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
Just an innocent question about DOF for Portraits. There must be a fairly standard, give or take, for the distance between an adult tip of nose to say back of ear+. for Portraits is that not the crucial field depth?
Wouldn't mind some help with this question, before you lot tear each others throats out over 'Tweet & Woof'
Old 29th October 2016

Liked 122 Times in 53 Posts

At 2m, the depth of field with the 30mm @ 1.4 is 19cm which is enough to get nose to ears in focus. At 1m, it's less than 5cm so is a bit tight

nine and a half by damianmkv, on Flickr
Old 29th October 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
As long as the eye/eyes are sharp the rest of the composition, DoF, etc., is as much a personal choice as everything else in photography.

However, I get to judge a lot of competitions and often I'm asked specifically to do portrait competitions. Here they are somewhat more "formal" in the production, with the eye being the main focal plane coming forward to the nose. With females the hair will often obscure the ears, so OOF beyond the eyes is less noticeable.

As a loose guideline we suggest a DoF of a foot (.3m) and a good separation of the subject from the background.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 29th October 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
I am OK with the Sigma's slower AF but to say that it is as fast as the PanLeica is pure bunkum.

I believe you.
Very often the personal experience is more relevant then a review made in artificial conditions.
Loup Garou (29th October 2016)
Old 29th October 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianmkv View Post
At 2m, the depth of field with the 30mm @ 1.4 is 19cm which is enough to get nose to ears in focus. At 1m, it's less than 5cm so is a bit tight

nine and a half by damianmkv, on Flickr
Right. I felt that ears were going a bit soft in this portrait (your son?). That issue has been commented upon in the reviews of the ultrafast Voightlander 42.5mm f0.95; at that aperture the DoF at 1.5 metres, IMO the right distance for a portrait with that focal length, is likely to be around 3cm (I cannot find the exact calculations on either DoF site I have saved), too shallow to be practical. The next fastest MFT Portrait lens is the PanLeica 42.5mm f1.2 and for this at 1.5 metres the DoF is 5cm and even at 2 metres is 8cm. Rather tight for a big-headed adult, I would have thought if you take the horizontal distance from the tip of the nose to the back of the ear. I just measured this on my father-in-law, a really small man - 17cm! And from his eyes to the back of the ear - 12cm.

This goes to show that the popular and relatively inexpensive Olympus 45mm f1.8 is really an excellent and very practical portrait lens.
Old 29th October 2016

Liked 122 Times in 53 Posts

It all depends what you're after in your portrait photography. For me, the DoF in the shot of my son doesn't bother me - I'm more interested in the eyes. The light was rubbish anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29th October 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianmkv View Post
It all depends what you're after in your portrait photography. For me, the DoF in the shot of my son doesn't bother me - I'm more interested in the eyes. The light was rubbish anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice looking lad.