Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 25th April 2015
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,000
Thanks: 1,976
Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Likes: 3,362
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Did nobody see this coming? The English politicians all campaigned fiercely for Scotland to remain part of the UK during the referendum, now they are complaining that the SNP have influence in the UK through their seats at Westminster. What did they think would happen? Can our senior politicians really be so nave?

So what if the SNP get to dictate some of the policies that affect England? Conservative governments have been imposing their policies on Scotland for decades, with only marginally more representation north of the border than the SNP has to the south!
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Shaw (25th April 2015)
  #17  
Old 25th April 2015
Grumpy Hec's Avatar
Grumpy Hec Grumpy Hec is offline
Grumpy Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mersea Island, Essex
Posts: 2,463
Thanks: 230
Thanked 319 Times in 252 Posts
Likes: 614
Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post

So what if the SNP get to dictate some of the policies that affect England? Conservative governments have been imposing their policies on Scotland for decades, with only marginally more representation north of the border than the SNP has to the south!
Ah - but at least they get the chance to vote for or against the Tory candidates. Essex boy here will not get the same opportunity for the SNP. That's the crux of that particular argument along with the fact the there is a Scottish assembly with growing powers and no English equivalent. A big imbalance.

Hec
__________________
I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Lee (25th April 2015), Naughty Nigel (25th April 2015)
  #18  
Old 25th April 2015
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,424
Thanks: 376
Thanked 545 Times in 460 Posts
Likes: 3,258
Liked 2,252 Times in 1,486 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
So what if the SNP get to dictate some of the policies that affect England?
In the event of a Labour SNP coalition, which is one likely outcome, the SNP would very likely vote for tax rises in England Wales and Northern Ireland to fund even more reckless spending in Scotland. And don't think it couldn't happen. The Scots have previous form in such matters. (Remember Gordon Brown?)

Also remember that Alex Salmond told Scots 'Vote for Independence - you'll never have to work again because OUR oil is worth €120 USD per barrel.'

OK, slight exaggeration, but remind me. How much is crude oil worth now?
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
  #19  
Old 26th April 2015
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,000
Thanks: 1,976
Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Likes: 3,362
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
In the event of a Labour SNP coalition, which is one likely outcome, the SNP would very likely vote for tax rises in England Wales and Northern Ireland to fund even more reckless spending in Scotland. And don't think it couldn't happen. The Scots have previous form in such matters. (Remember Gordon Brown?)

Also remember that Alex Salmond told Scots 'Vote for Independence - you'll never have to work again because OUR oil is worth 120 USD per barrel.'

OK, slight exaggeration, but remind me. How much is crude oil worth now?
I'm just saying that the English politicians had the chance to push for Scottish independence but chose to campaign against it, so they can't really complain about the level of influence that the SNP might have after the election. If Labour become the biggest single party they might seek to form a coalition with the Lib Dems anyway, even if that doesn't give them an overall majority. The Conservatives and SNP are hardly likely to form an alliance against them. In fact, depending upon the mathematics of how the seats are split, it's conceivable that the biggest single party might seek to form a minority government without a formal agreement with any other party.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
  #20  
Old 26th April 2015
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 3,768
Thanks: 256
Thanked 1,113 Times in 698 Posts
Likes: 520
Liked 1,446 Times in 725 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Reading all of the above, that IS today's politics for you, slag off the opposition. The Scottish referendum proved that with issues that really mattered, the couch potato voter got off the couch and voted. The same upsurge now, more than ever, needs to apply in the other parts of UK.

As I mentioned on another thread, the incumbents in Westminster over the last two to three decades have become far too much £ondon centric. The Scottish YES/NO was an UK wide wake-up call which has now caused waves in the 'normal' me, me, me, process. They are now, so we are being badgered into thinking, the bogey man of politics. Perhaps they are, but, is it not a wee bit too convenient in as much as the other main parties are using this ploy to conveniently forget that they need to explain certain parts of their own agenda. They, the Tories, Labour and the LibDems, have yet to explain away how they will fund all the promised give-aways, a point raised last week by a so called Think-Tank.

During the Scottish 'problem', Cameron & Co., harped on about keeping the UK United, yet the gutter politics of late would seem to be seeking the opposite? We are not the EU but do possess, as an United Union, some of the same internal problems. Differnt nations under one roof with a similar monetary policy and similar internal political issues. I might be biased, but I have a suspicion that Scotland are being made to carry the can for what has been very poor policies made by incompetent politicians over the last few decades or so... possibly as far back as Thatcher times. Why would other parts elsewhere in England, suddenly pipe up saying, we could do better as a region?

Their overall continuing message is, vote for me, or me, or me... otherwise the country is doomed. Given the current back-stabbing gutter politics, much worse than usual, I suspect we are doomed no matter what. Damned if we do, and damned if we don't? As per the first paragraph, united we stand and divided we fall. The red corner and blue corner hard core voters will probably ensure the two main contenders will be back slightly battered and bruised, but for the moment, the divide and conquer approach does seem to be working in favour of the few. Or is it?

I have a feeling that the posturing of DC and EM might just backfire. If the SNP, as has been intimated, could have an overall affect at Westminster, then it would surely follow, that Scots as a nation, would vote for exactly that. When Darling and Brown both decided to stand-down in this upcoming election, I thought they were getting out before being thrown out and looked on this as an indication of future voting trending in Scotland.

So, to all my English, Irish and Welsh friends, the time has come to get off the couch and vote. I'm sure the Scot's will be doing just that. A change is as good as a rest, so the saying goes.

The plot thickens?
__________________
It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (26th April 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (26th April 2015), Zuiko (26th April 2015)
  #21  
Old 26th April 2015
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,000
Thanks: 1,976
Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Likes: 3,362
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Reading all of the above, that IS today's politics for you, slag off the opposition. The Scottish referendum proved that with issues that really mattered, the couch potato voter got off the couch and voted. The same upsurge now, more than ever, needs to apply in the other parts of UK.

As I mentioned on another thread, the incumbents in Westminster over the last two to three decades have become far too much ondon centric. The Scottish YES/NO was an UK wide wake-up call which has now caused waves in the 'normal' me, me, me, process. They are now, so we are being badgered into thinking, the bogey man of politics. Perhaps they are, but, is it not a wee bit too convenient in as much as the other main parties are using this ploy to conveniently forget that they need to explain certain parts of their own agenda. They, the Tories, Labour and the LibDems, have yet to explain away how they will fund all the promised give-aways, a point raised last week by a so called Think-Tank.

During the Scottish 'problem', Cameron & Co., harped on about keeping the UK United, yet the gutter politics of late would seem to be seeking the opposite? We are not the EU but do possess, as an United Union, some of the same internal problems. Differnt nations under one roof with a similar monetary policy and similar internal political issues. I might be biased, but I have a suspicion that Scotland are being made to carry the can for what has been very poor policies made by incompetent politicians over the last few decades or so... possibly as far back as Thatcher times. Why would other parts elsewhere in England, suddenly pipe up saying, we could do better as a region?

Their overall continuing message is, vote for me, or me, or me... otherwise the country is doomed. Given the current back-stabbing gutter politics, much worse than usual, I suspect we are doomed no matter what. Damned if we do, and damned if we don't? As per the first paragraph, united we stand and divided we fall. The red corner and blue corner hard core voters will probably ensure the two main contenders will be back slightly battered and bruised, but for the moment, the divide and conquer approach does seem to be working in favour of the few.
That's an excellent summary, Wally.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
  #22  
Old 26th April 2015
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,424
Thanks: 376
Thanked 545 Times in 460 Posts
Likes: 3,258
Liked 2,252 Times in 1,486 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I'm just saying that the English politicians had the chance to push for Scottish independence but chose to campaign against it, so they can't really complain about the level of influence that the SNP might have after the election.
I don't think anyone can complain as long as the influence is proportionate; but it cannot be healthy to have a narrow agenda party, representing just 3.5% of the electorate (as fewer than half of the Scots wanted independence) running the UK for their own self interest.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
  #23  
Old 26th April 2015
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 3,768
Thanks: 256
Thanked 1,113 Times in 698 Posts
Likes: 520
Liked 1,446 Times in 725 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Just out of curiousity,- with days to go until X marks the spot - how many of those on this forum/thread, have been 'accosted' on their doorstep by any of the faces on the leaflets advocating to do what's best for you?

Personally, even tho located in a Labour safe seat and had more campaign leaflets through the letterbox than ever before, I have yet for any one of them to show their face(s)?

Would seem my vote isn't needed.
__________________
It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

  #24  
Old 26th April 2015
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,424
Thanks: 376
Thanked 545 Times in 460 Posts
Likes: 3,258
Liked 2,252 Times in 1,486 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

We had a visit from Phil Wilson (Lab) our incumbent MP and his entourage last Saturday morning. They didn't stay long, and seemed to be shaking their heads as they left. I cannot think why.

(Mind, I don't think it helped that the Jehovah's Witnesses chose to do their rounds at the same time!)

We haven't seen any other political representation, not even leaflets; but we are in a safe Labour seat, so I suspect the other parties feel their efforts are better spent elsewhere.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
  #25  
Old 26th April 2015
son of sid son of sid is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: N.W. England
Posts: 180
Thanks: 34
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Likes: 34
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

The Red team canvasser, although terrified of our dogs, took the time to knock, rather than just shove the leaflet through the door, explain who she was and why she was calling.

The Blue team have posted a leaflet to my wife (must have heard about the dogs) but nothing for me

The yellow team just shoved a leaflet through the door.

No 'faces' have showed up to ask for my vote and explain why I should choose them rather than somebody else.

Nowt from the rest.

Sid
  #26  
Old 26th April 2015
Zuiko's Avatar
Zuiko Zuiko is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dunmow, Essex
Posts: 22,000
Thanks: 1,976
Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Likes: 3,362
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I don't think anyone can complain as long as the influence is proportionate; but it cannot be healthy to have a narrow agenda party, representing just 3.5% of the electorate (as fewer than half of the Scots wanted independence) running the UK for their own self interest.
I quite agree and if this scenario proves to be the catalyst for an overhaul of our outdated and democratically flawed first past the post system in favour of proportional representation then so much the better.
__________________
John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
  #27  
Old 26th April 2015
gregles gregles is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,176
Thanks: 614
Thanked 396 Times in 381 Posts
Likes: 175
Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I quite agree and if this scenario proves to be the catalyst for an overhaul of our outdated and democratically flawed first past the post system in favour of proportional representation then so much the better.
Would that then legitimise a large number of Scottish MPs, voicing a Scottish agenda, in a Parliament that claims to represent our United Kingdom?

I am currently sitting basking in the warmth of the love Nigel radiates towards those in the North and forming my own conclusions. Love you too Nigel......
__________________
My Flickr Home Page
  #28  
Old 26th April 2015
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 3,768
Thanks: 256
Thanked 1,113 Times in 698 Posts
Likes: 520
Liked 1,446 Times in 725 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

I'm left wondering if, as is being bandied about, that the SNP do have sway in Westminster, will it be as detrimental to the UK as a whole as is touted? Perhaps what is needed, and has been for quite some time, is a third party in Westminster with some bite. A darned good shake up all round to awaken the few who have had it so good. Five years and countless rounds in the ring fighting at close quarters should indicate a yes or no for it to cotinue. If at the end of five years, if indeed it lasts that long, then at least, hopefully, a whole new concept of politics will have evolved.

If, once agian, as has been said, that Scotland does benefit unduly from an SNP influence then... the good news is, that we can all move to Scotland. If nothing else, they do have the wide open spaces to offer migrants from the south, even if they can't quite speak the language.
__________________
It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

  #29  
Old 26th April 2015
jdal's Avatar
jdal jdal is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,044
Thanks: 129
Thanked 503 Times in 439 Posts
Likes: 202
Liked 664 Times in 282 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Sorry, but this SNP holding the UK to ransom is just BS. The kind of government being forecast is normal elsewhere in Europe.

Take Trident as an example. Labour want to keep it, the SNP say no, but the Cons support it as well. So we keep Trident. If the SNP then refuse to support Lab in everything else, then we have another election or keep a minority government. This is why deals should be thrashed out in the beginning and stuck to. The Libs could have brought the current government down over the unmandated health reforms, should have IMHO. It leads to more representative government.

Proportional Representation is essential I'd say.
__________________
John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
The Following Users Liked This Post:
George Dorn (26th April 2015), gregles (26th April 2015), Shaw (26th April 2015), Zuiko (26th April 2015)
  #30  
Old 26th April 2015
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 9,424
Thanks: 376
Thanked 545 Times in 460 Posts
Likes: 3,258
Liked 2,252 Times in 1,486 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post
Would that then legitimise a large number of Scottish MPs, voicing a Scottish agenda, in a Parliament that claims to represent our United Kingdom?

I am currently sitting basking in the warmth of the love Nigel radiates towards those in the North and forming my own conclusions. Love you too Nigel......
I live in the north myself, thank you!

I just don't believe it is democratic for 3.5% of the UK electorate to dictate how the rest of the UK lives. I would have just the same opinion if Cornwall, Wales or Northern Ireland wanted to govern England.

Having said that, at least a Northern Ireland parliament would allow road closures for road racing!
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Friday Question time again - Design a new E system Camera Grumpy Hec The lounge 1 8th June 2012 07:47 AM
Friday Question time again, again Grumpy Hec The lounge 26 14th May 2012 09:19 AM
Question of Time ringneck Foto Fair 2 21st March 2012 10:11 AM
Friday Question time again Grumpy Hec The lounge 15 2nd March 2012 10:57 PM
It's Friday so time for a question Grumpy Hec The lounge 18 15th January 2012 11:05 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:24 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger