Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Closed Thread

Old 25th April 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts
Re: Question about Question Time (Political)

Did nobody see this coming? The English politicians all campaigned fiercely for Scotland to remain part of the UK during the referendum, now they are complaining that the SNP have influence in the UK through their seats at Westminster. What did they think would happen? Can our senior politicians really be so nave?

So what if the SNP get to dictate some of the policies that affect England? Conservative governments have been imposing their policies on Scotland for decades, with only marginally more representation north of the border than the SNP has to the south!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Shaw (25th April 2015)
Old 25th April 2015
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post

So what if the SNP get to dictate some of the policies that affect England? Conservative governments have been imposing their policies on Scotland for decades, with only marginally more representation north of the border than the SNP has to the south!
Ah - but at least they get the chance to vote for or against the Tory candidates. Essex boy here will not get the same opportunity for the SNP. That's the crux of that particular argument along with the fact the there is a Scottish assembly with growing powers and no English equivalent. A big imbalance.

Hec
Old 25th April 2015

Liked 2,252 Times in 1,486 Posts

Quote:
So what if the SNP get to dictate some of the policies that affect England?
In the event of a Labour SNP coalition, which is one likely outcome, the SNP would very likely vote for tax rises in England Wales and Northern Ireland to fund even more reckless spending in Scotland. And don't think it couldn't happen. The Scots have previous form in such matters. (Remember Gordon Brown?)

Also remember that Alex Salmond told Scots 'Vote for Independence - you'll never have to work again because OUR oil is worth €120 USD per barrel.'

OK, slight exaggeration, but remind me. How much is crude oil worth now?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 26th April 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
In the event of a Labour SNP coalition, which is one likely outcome, the SNP would very likely vote for tax rises in England Wales and Northern Ireland to fund even more reckless spending in Scotland. And don't think it couldn't happen. The Scots have previous form in such matters. (Remember Gordon Brown?)

Also remember that Alex Salmond told Scots 'Vote for Independence - you'll never have to work again because OUR oil is worth 120 USD per barrel.'

OK, slight exaggeration, but remind me. How much is crude oil worth now?
I'm just saying that the English politicians had the chance to push for Scottish independence but chose to campaign against it, so they can't really complain about the level of influence that the SNP might have after the election. If Labour become the biggest single party they might seek to form a coalition with the Lib Dems anyway, even if that doesn't give them an overall majority. The Conservatives and SNP are hardly likely to form an alliance against them. In fact, depending upon the mathematics of how the seats are split, it's conceivable that the biggest single party might seek to form a minority government without a formal agreement with any other party.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th April 2015

Thanked 1,113 Times in 698 Posts
Liked 1,446 Times in 725 Posts

Reading all of the above, that IS today's politics for you, slag off the opposition. The Scottish referendum proved that with issues that really mattered, the couch potato voter got off the couch and voted. The same upsurge now, more than ever, needs to apply in the other parts of UK.

As I mentioned on another thread, the incumbents in Westminster over the last two to three decades have become far too much £ondon centric. The Scottish YES/NO was an UK wide wake-up call which has now caused waves in the 'normal' me, me, me, process. They are now, so we are being badgered into thinking, the bogey man of politics. Perhaps they are, but, is it not a wee bit too convenient in as much as the other main parties are using this ploy to conveniently forget that they need to explain certain parts of their own agenda. They, the Tories, Labour and the LibDems, have yet to explain away how they will fund all the promised give-aways, a point raised last week by a so called Think-Tank.

During the Scottish 'problem', Cameron & Co., harped on about keeping the UK United, yet the gutter politics of late would seem to be seeking the opposite? We are not the EU but do possess, as an United Union, some of the same internal problems. Differnt nations under one roof with a similar monetary policy and similar internal political issues. I might be biased, but I have a suspicion that Scotland are being made to carry the can for what has been very poor policies made by incompetent politicians over the last few decades or so... possibly as far back as Thatcher times. Why would other parts elsewhere in England, suddenly pipe up saying, we could do better as a region?

Their overall continuing message is, vote for me, or me, or me... otherwise the country is doomed. Given the current back-stabbing gutter politics, much worse than usual, I suspect we are doomed no matter what. Damned if we do, and damned if we don't? As per the first paragraph, united we stand and divided we fall. The red corner and blue corner hard core voters will probably ensure the two main contenders will be back slightly battered and bruised, but for the moment, the divide and conquer approach does seem to be working in favour of the few. Or is it?

I have a feeling that the posturing of DC and EM might just backfire. If the SNP, as has been intimated, could have an overall affect at Westminster, then it would surely follow, that Scots as a nation, would vote for exactly that. When Darling and Brown both decided to stand-down in this upcoming election, I thought they were getting out before being thrown out and looked on this as an indication of future voting trending in Scotland.

So, to all my English, Irish and Welsh friends, the time has come to get off the couch and vote. I'm sure the Scot's will be doing just that. A change is as good as a rest, so the saying goes.

The plot thickens?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (26th April 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (26th April 2015), Zuiko (26th April 2015)
Old 26th April 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Reading all of the above, that IS today's politics for you, slag off the opposition. The Scottish referendum proved that with issues that really mattered, the couch potato voter got off the couch and voted. The same upsurge now, more than ever, needs to apply in the other parts of UK.

As I mentioned on another thread, the incumbents in Westminster over the last two to three decades have become far too much ondon centric. The Scottish YES/NO was an UK wide wake-up call which has now caused waves in the 'normal' me, me, me, process. They are now, so we are being badgered into thinking, the bogey man of politics. Perhaps they are, but, is it not a wee bit too convenient in as much as the other main parties are using this ploy to conveniently forget that they need to explain certain parts of their own agenda. They, the Tories, Labour and the LibDems, have yet to explain away how they will fund all the promised give-aways, a point raised last week by a so called Think-Tank.

During the Scottish 'problem', Cameron & Co., harped on about keeping the UK United, yet the gutter politics of late would seem to be seeking the opposite? We are not the EU but do possess, as an United Union, some of the same internal problems. Differnt nations under one roof with a similar monetary policy and similar internal political issues. I might be biased, but I have a suspicion that Scotland are being made to carry the can for what has been very poor policies made by incompetent politicians over the last few decades or so... possibly as far back as Thatcher times. Why would other parts elsewhere in England, suddenly pipe up saying, we could do better as a region?

Their overall continuing message is, vote for me, or me, or me... otherwise the country is doomed. Given the current back-stabbing gutter politics, much worse than usual, I suspect we are doomed no matter what. Damned if we do, and damned if we don't? As per the first paragraph, united we stand and divided we fall. The red corner and blue corner hard core voters will probably ensure the two main contenders will be back slightly battered and bruised, but for the moment, the divide and conquer approach does seem to be working in favour of the few.
That's an excellent summary, Wally.

Old 26th April 2015

Quote:
I'm just saying that the English politicians had the chance to push for Scottish independence but chose to campaign against it, so they can't really complain about the level of influence that the SNP might have after the election.
I don't think anyone can complain as long as the influence is proportionate; but it cannot be healthy to have a narrow agenda party, representing just 3.5% of the electorate (as fewer than half of the Scots wanted independence) running the UK for their own self interest.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 26th April 2015

Just out of curiousity,- with days to go until X marks the spot - how many of those on this forum/thread, have been 'accosted' on their doorstep by any of the faces on the leaflets advocating to do what's best for you?

Personally, even tho located in a Labour safe seat and had more campaign leaflets through the letterbox than ever before, I have yet for any one of them to show their face(s)?

Would seem my vote isn't needed.

Old 26th April 2015

We had a visit from Phil Wilson (Lab) our incumbent MP and his entourage last Saturday morning. They didn't stay long, and seemed to be shaking their heads as they left. I cannot think why.

(Mind, I don't think it helped that the Jehovah's Witnesses chose to do their rounds at the same time!)

We haven't seen any other political representation, not even leaflets; but we are in a safe Labour seat, so I suspect the other parties feel their efforts are better spent elsewhere.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 26th April 2015

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

The Red team canvasser, although terrified of our dogs, took the time to knock, rather than just shove the leaflet through the door, explain who she was and why she was calling.

The Blue team have posted a leaflet to my wife (must have heard about the dogs) but nothing for me

The yellow team just shoved a leaflet through the door.

No 'faces' have showed up to ask for my vote and explain why I should choose them rather than somebody else.

Nowt from the rest.

Sid
Old 26th April 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I don't think anyone can complain as long as the influence is proportionate; but it cannot be healthy to have a narrow agenda party, representing just 3.5% of the electorate (as fewer than half of the Scots wanted independence) running the UK for their own self interest.
I quite agree and if this scenario proves to be the catalyst for an overhaul of our outdated and democratically flawed first past the post system in favour of proportional representation then so much the better.

Old 26th April 2015

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
I quite agree and if this scenario proves to be the catalyst for an overhaul of our outdated and democratically flawed first past the post system in favour of proportional representation then so much the better.
Would that then legitimise a large number of Scottish MPs, voicing a Scottish agenda, in a Parliament that claims to represent our United Kingdom?

I am currently sitting basking in the warmth of the love Nigel radiates towards those in the North and forming my own conclusions. Love you too Nigel......
Old 26th April 2015

I'm left wondering if, as is being bandied about, that the SNP do have sway in Westminster, will it be as detrimental to the UK as a whole as is touted? Perhaps what is needed, and has been for quite some time, is a third party in Westminster with some bite. A darned good shake up all round to awaken the few who have had it so good. Five years and countless rounds in the ring fighting at close quarters should indicate a yes or no for it to cotinue. If at the end of five years, if indeed it lasts that long, then at least, hopefully, a whole new concept of politics will have evolved.

If, once agian, as has been said, that Scotland does benefit unduly from an SNP influence then... the good news is, that we can all move to Scotland. If nothing else, they do have the wide open spaces to offer migrants from the south, even if they can't quite speak the language.

Old 26th April 2015

Liked 664 Times in 282 Posts

Sorry, but this SNP holding the UK to ransom is just BS. The kind of government being forecast is normal elsewhere in Europe.

Take Trident as an example. Labour want to keep it, the SNP say no, but the Cons support it as well. So we keep Trident. If the SNP then refuse to support Lab in everything else, then we have another election or keep a minority government. This is why deals should be thrashed out in the beginning and stuck to. The Libs could have brought the current government down over the unmandated health reforms, should have IMHO. It leads to more representative government.

Proportional Representation is essential I'd say.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
The Following Users Liked This Post:
George Dorn (26th April 2015), gregles (26th April 2015), Shaw (26th April 2015), Zuiko (26th April 2015)
Old 26th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post
Would that then legitimise a large number of Scottish MPs, voicing a Scottish agenda, in a Parliament that claims to represent our United Kingdom?

I am currently sitting basking in the warmth of the love Nigel radiates towards those in the North and forming my own conclusions. Love you too Nigel......
I live in the north myself, thank you!

I just don't believe it is democratic for 3.5% of the UK electorate to dictate how the rest of the UK lives. I would have just the same opinion if Cornwall, Wales or Northern Ireland wanted to govern England.

Having said that, at least a Northern Ireland parliament would allow road closures for road racing!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Closed Thread