Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Closed Thread

Old 7th December 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: My photo on front page of Olympus' website.

I think this thread has a danger of getting out of hand. However, as a Moderator, I am reluctant to close it without further consultation because, in my view, that would amount to censorship, and that's the last thing we want or need.

Mark's comments seem to have been misinterpreted by some of the relative newcomers to this forum who may not be aware just how it works. Mark simply stated that, if the personal sniping were to continue, he (corporately) may have to reconsider Olympus' financial contribution to the forum. He said absolutely nothing about "closing it down". What he would like is fair chance to investigate this matter. And depending on the speed of response of third parties, this may take a wee while.

In cases like this, as I think John (Zuiko) has already stated, individual grievances should be made as a direct approach via PM or email.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (7th December 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
sapper (8th December 2013), Zuiko (7th December 2013)
Old 7th December 2013

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

This is a great resource for Olympus users and the community here, just as other manufacturers has their forum that users use, i.e. when purchasing products, consumers consider the after sales support and friendly forums like this encourage people to buy into their products.

lf it were to close, people would just use another forum like the sister site m43 but we don't want that.

I think from frustration of it getting out of hand from some of the comments, Marks' words insinuate things. Let's see what happens. Closing the thread would indicate censorship yes, and in this case (irrelevant from outcome) this matter will be on my website or blog.

www.ashleyduncanphotography.com
Old 7th December 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Indeed you did, John, and thank you.

I was primarily responding as Moderator to the suggestion that the thread be closed.

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 7th December 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangonthedoortwice View Post
this matter will be on my website or blog.

www.ashleyduncanphotography.com
Hell man with all these cameras and lenses why are your knee pictures so dire??!
Old 7th December 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Gosh, chill, please, folks.
Old 7th December 2013

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Hell man with all these cameras and lenses why are your knee pictures so dire??!
That made me laugh! I love my phone and its camera, i think the last knee picture is great anyway so there.
Old 8th December 2013

Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,079 Posts

Just read your blog so now know what this is all about! Hope the recovery goes well Ashley. Is the plan to go back to the Bahamas when you are fully fit?
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Bangonthedoortwice (8th December 2013)
Old 8th December 2013

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Thanks Phill D, it's a really long procedure unfortunately so I'm planning on opening a small studio in the new year and utilising all this spare time I have into that. The Bahamas is wonderful, but it's no way a career, maybe I'll go back if things fall flat.
Old 9th December 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there everyone,

My name is Sam and I am part of the social media agency, Yomego, which works for Olympus on the UK Facebook page. We are incredibly sorry about this situation and we would like to explain what happened so that we can resolve it as quickly as possible.

Over the past few months we have been working on a campaign called Olympus Impressions with the goal to provide a variety of themes to engage photographers over the coming year. At the start of each month we reset the theme and invite members of the Olympus community to provide their own interpretations of the new category.

In order to provide some inspiration, we have been approaching inspiring Olympus photographers and asking to use their photographs across the site to make it easier for others to visualise the type of photos work for the theme.

One of my colleagues noticed Ashley’s great picture and asked him if we had permission to use it across the website. Once it was posted live we contacted Ashley to ask what kind of credit he would like for the image. Unfortunately with the way the website was built, we had no opportunity to add an outgoing link to his website as he had requested, and to do so would require amends to the underlying code which at the moment we can't do for time and budget reasons (credits are possible in some places but not others so we are looking at it for the future). We are incredibly conscious of ensuring that photographers get the recognition they deserve and it is only through a technical inability to do so that we haven’t in this case.

Once we realised we couldn't add credit to the image, we raised an action with our development team to replace it with one from the entries that had now been submitted to the competition. This has taken slightly longer than anticipated due to a technical error, but we are swapping it out as I speak.

Everyone on the team is incredibly sorry to Ashley for this mis-communication and also want to assure everyone on the forum that we take the rights of photographers incredibly seriously. If you have absolutely any questions about Olympus and social media, you are more than welcome to contact me directly on this forum and I will try my best to help.

Once again we hope this hasn’t caused too much offence.

Sam

Last edited by s.macleod; 9th December 2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Clarification and extra detail
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to s.macleod For This Useful Post:
Iansky (9th December 2013), Janet (9th December 2013), Olybirder (9th December 2013), OlyPaul (10th December 2013), StephenL (9th December 2013)
Old 9th December 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Sam, welcome to the forum. Thank you for responding to the current situation, and coming up with an explanation which I hope will satisfy all parties.

Most of us on this forum are keen Olympus users, with a pride in their equipment and a great desire to help Olympus continue to develop through success. I am sure many of us would be keen to co-operate with you in promoting Olympus, as long as due respect is given to photographers' rights. Of course, any individual negotiations would be subject to private discussion and agreement!

Once again, welcome! Please look through the members' galleries - you never know, you might see something you like!

My Flickr site
Old 9th December 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for the kind welcome Stephen.

Ashley's image has been removed for the time being, but we are obviously very conscious of the potential issues that this could present in the future.

As such, we are scoping out how we could add the necessary areas on the site to provide full attribution to everyone that submits a picture. Once we have this in place we will let you all know.

Sam
Old 9th December 2013

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

What a pleasant surprise, both parties that were directly/indirectly involved in the use of the said photo have posted clear and concise responses on this forum.

That is a very welcome and much appreciated response and it shows that they both have concerns about use of customers photographs as well as their public image and despite Mark being frustrated at some of the comments (mine included no doubt), at least he responded rather than being the hidden face of big business.

I agree that it is difficult to make informed decisions when initially only one half of a story is relayed, but, I would like to think the person relaying it has enough integrity to portray fact not fiction and on that we form our own opinions.

A forum is designed to discuss/vent /exchange and learn and there have been many cases of bad practice that have been stopped by people sharing their experiences and as I stated in my initial response, certain elements of big business do perceive themselves above the law - in this case it seems both Olympus and their contractor involved have displayed honesty and integrity in thier published responses and for that we should be grateful.

It also demonstrates that this forum has the ability to "get to the right people".

Long may that continue.
Old 9th December 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Sam, thanks for coming on the forum to give a direct response on this issue, it is very much appreciated.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ian (10th December 2013)
Old 9th December 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No problem, glad to sort this out.

I can't message Ashley on this forum as I haven't posted enough, so we have contacted him via Facebook and hopefully can do something to make it up to him for this oversight.

Sam
Old 9th December 2013

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

Apologies to both Sam & Mark,

I did intend to welcome you both to the site so humble apologies for forgetting this.

It is great to have facts from "the horses mouth" rather than supposition from those of us not so well informed and I for one hope that you will not be strangers on the site as your presence will be very valued.

Thanks
Ian
s.macleod (9th December 2013)
Closed Thread

Tags
competition, impressions, nocturnal, olympus