Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 23rd November 2013

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts
Re: "Apple? Yes, please!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Ross, magnificent I wonder if the Blue Mountains are like this now ? or rather carbonized ? I hope much was safe from the fires ?
While there are some large areas burnt, the rest of the Mountains are much larger & isn't burnt, especially all the tourist areas & now that we've been getting rain & storms everything is starting to grow & turn green (including the weeds). It won't be long before the blackened areas will start to regrow too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
There could be similar sights in the UK - there are colonies of wallabies living wild, though I haven't seen any.

Jim
I wouldn't be surprised at that as the early Brits brought animals, birds & plants to Australia to have 'a little bit of England' here too & I'm sure a lot of Australian fauna & flora have gone to many places around the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
My friend Cathryn has loads of them in her back garden at Widmer Farm, Lacey Green in Bucks, UK ... Black Swans on her pond too and Kookaburra to help her feel more at home in a pseudo Aus environment

She has some on display for the Animal Feed business open days ... check website for details if you want to go photograph some
I tried to find the web site (I found the shop site, but need to get on with the day now). Do you have a link for the above?
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 23rd November 2013

Liked 1,597 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
While there are some large areas burnt, the rest of the Mountains are much larger & isn't burnt, especially all the tourist areas & now that we've been getting rain & storms everything is starting to grow & turn green (including the weeds). It won't be long before the blackened areas will start to regrow too.
My understanding is that the banksias need fire for the 'cones' to open and release their seeds, so you should get a good showing.

Jim
Old 24th November 2013

Quote:
My understanding is that the banksias need fire for the 'cones' to open and release their seeds, so you should get a good showing.

Jim
The Banksia spinulosa is one in the area that would benefit once the seed capsules have developed & matured. Here is it in flower (in mid to later stages).

The other common banksia around the Mountains is the Old Man Banksia, Banksia serrata, my favourite!

In flower here, & later the odd one has some seed capsules on them, but hard to make out here (upper centre has some).

The earlier post of the possum in the banksia is another Baksia serrata in the yard.

And then the cockies love them too like this Coastal Banksia (Banksia integrefolia) with obvious (self) opened seed capsules on the near spike.

We planted these 20 years ago & they self seed without nany help of fire, but they suffer from gall wasps, so I don't want any more of them to grow here.

Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 24th November 2013

We get the seed capsules over here as curiosities or for wood carvers. I think they look rather creepy - the openings look like the mouths of some kind of parasite!

Jim
Old 24th November 2013

Quote:
We get the seed capsules over here as curiosities or for wood carvers. I think they look rather creepy - the openings look like the mouths of some kind of parasite!

Jim
Have you seen the child's story book, "Snugglepot and Cuddlepie" by May Gibbs with the Big Bad Banksia men?

Old 24th November 2013

Quote:
No, I've never seen or heard of it. I had a look at the Wikipedia description and I think I'll give the book a miss as it'll give me nightmares!

;^)

Jim
Old 24th November 2013

Quote:
No, I've never seen or heard of it. I had a look at the Wikipedia description and I think I'll give the book a miss as it'll give me nightmares!

;^)

Jim
Chicken!

They are certainly are great for children but maybe some could be affected for life.
Old 24th November 2013

Quote:
Chicken!

They are certainly are great for children but maybe some could be affected for life.
Perhaps I was exposed to the book at a very young age, and was so traumatised that it's been shut out from my memory, except for the feeling of creepiness when I see banksia 'cones'!

For children's horror stories the German 'Max and Moritz', where they get cooked in pies, and 'Struwwelpeter' where he gets his fingers cut off with scissors, takes some beating!

Jim
Old 24th November 2013

Quote:
Perhaps I was exposed to the book at a very young age, and was so traumatised that it's been shut out from my memory, except for the feeling of creepiness when I see banksia 'cones'!

For children's horror stories the German 'Max and Moritz', where they get cooked in pies, and 'Struwwelpeter' where he gets his fingers cut off with scissors, takes some beating!

Jim
Oh, nasty! I think I'll just stick with our gumnut babies & big bad banksia men thanks. The sort of horror stories children are exposed to! I guess that's nothing to the horror video type games now.
Old 24th November 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Quote:
Oh, nasty! I think I'll just stick with our gumnut babies & big bad banksia men thanks. The sort of horror stories children are exposed to! I guess that's nothing to the horror video type games now.
If you really want to scare them, just show the first 10 minutes of " Saving Private Ryan ". I am a born and bred country boy but that stopped me watching the rest of the film.