Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 3rd July 2011

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts
Re: Mac or PC?

Point 1
. My local authority education department which is the biggest in Scotland use HP PCs.

Not surprising you have or had a large HP facility in the region so it is only natural that the local organisations would use items that have a local badge on them. Political suicide to not support the local team - I expect a special price or deal was arranged.

Also not so long ago you had the IBM factory down at Greenock producing Windows PCs (the business was sold to Lenovo a few years ago) so the Windows PC is pretty much entrenched in your patch - like Mercedes are very frequently seen in Sindelfingen in Germany.

I know of two schools locally that have gone Mac - the tech in school that has both PCs and Macs said that the Macs require far less work. He was a Windows only person but was persuaded over by another Mac tech to try them out.

Point 2
Is a bit of a low blow for which I'd be interested to see statistics for. My own department statistics show that the biggest single point of failure is the person on the other end of the keyboard. So hardware platform/OS is to some degree irrelevant.

Tech support bias was an issue during the mid 90s during the last battle for the commercial desktop - this issue was reported in the computer press at the time.

A tech who has invested a lot of time and money in the MS certification process is not going to vote for a less troublesome platform.

Point 3
Is to an extent correct and so we are where we are at this point in time - but is there a groundswell to change it - I think not. I agree that the home user does not have the same needs as a business user - or the need to conform to ensure transferred data files are readable/interpretable.

Corporate applications maybe closely integrated with the server the PC having grown out of being in 3270 mode as a clever dumb terminal. In order to keep it working it has to be screwed down tight to minimise the installation of alien/harmful software

Point 4
Is all a question of initial finances.

You do not have to pay the sticker price to buy a Mac, you can start off with a secondhand MAC that will be a useful tool for many years, you can then move it on and buy a more recent one if you benefit from using one.

I have bought several Macs and only one was at the sticker price I now look to buy from several sources I know of where ex-dem or refurbished previous model years are sold at a useful discount. I can then move them on at about 4 to 5 years old for a useful price.

Re the coffee shop, airport lounge scenario I see a higher percentage of Mac laptops in the lounges than the sales penetration percentage would indicate I should see.
Old 21st February 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Just thought I'd resurrect this old post of mine, and throw in a recent experience, for what it's worth.

A few weeks ago I was having serious problems with getting a certain piece of software to play happily alongside other software on my PC. No doubt down to conflicts in updates somewhere along the line. But I do want/need to run that piece of software. My decision.

So I thought about a separate computer for that piece of software. A bit drastic, but what the heck.

So I bought, on Ebay, very cheaply, a used Macbook. 13" screen, Core 2 due processor, 2 Gb ram. When I got it, it looked fine and started first time. So for 20 I upped the memory to its maximum of 4Gb, and put the latest o/s on it, for another 20. So far so good, and it runs the software in question just fine. A happy chappy.

Out of interest, I started throwing other software at it to run in parallel, just to see what happens. Including the other software the original piece wouldn't play with.

Now, on my PC, PS Elements ran like a 2 legged dog, even though CS5 and LR were fine. On the Mac, Elements runs like a train.

So I threw a copy of LR3 at it. Again, everything is well. Now granted, I've not loaded the thing down with files - after all, it only has a 250Gb hard drive. But I've got to say I'm initially impressed. Programs are very quick to start. The o/s interface is different, but I'll get used to it. As I will the "Magic Mouse" which was included, althouh the jury is out on that piece of kit.

In fact I'm so impressed that I may consider a Mac when my main PC is due replaced, probably next year.

Just thought I'd throw my experiences in, as a happy PC user for the last 22 years.

I don't want to start a flame war, but I suspect I just may have .... (ducks and runs)

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 21st February 2012

Liked 2,949 Times in 860 Posts

Stephen, you do realise that by saying that you quite like your Mac you have now become a Mac Zealot or Fanboy! I have been using Macs for about 15 years and they are just computers, no more, no less. I really don't understand all the antagonism. I have never had one die on me and I like using them. My iMac at home boots up in less than 30 seconds and copes with my image processing extremely rapidly. That is all I want, really.

I have to agree about the Magic Mouse though. I think there is a bit of style over substance there and I just can't get the knack of the sideways swipe.

Ron
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I use a Mac, but a load of other stuff as well. I've been in or around computers for 28 years, so I've seen some changes.

A Windows PC will (legally) run Windows and Linux. A Mac will run Windows, Linux and OS/X. So, by using a Macintosh you are far from reducing your choice of software, rather you are increasing it.

The hardware... at component level anyway, is the same across the board. Similar enough to be taken out of the equation. Yes, you will buy computers for less money, but not for the same quality. In much the same way as you will buy a Hyundai i10 for a lot less that a 3 series BMW, but is the quality the same?

Don't confuse value with lower price. Anybody I know running a macintosh runs them for a lot longer than than PCs. I also don't know anybody who has migrated from Windows to a Macintosh and not been exceptionally happy with the change.

As Stephen is finding, Mac users just get on with it.

In the end though, it's not about hardware, or operating systems. To a lesser extent, it's not even about applications. It's about your own data.