Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen-F

Olympus Pen-F The first Pen to integrate an electronic viewfinder

Old 27th January 2017

Liked 280 Times in 190 Posts
Jpegs v Raw

There is a thread on DPR about this at the moment....................

This is my take on things:

Since getting my rather wonderful Pen F at the end of December I have moved more into 'mono mode'.

When I am in 'mono mode' I set my Pen F to Mono Profile 2 with a reasonable amount of vignetting but no noise. Maybe a tweak of the tone curve as well. Shooting in Jpeg I have a really good idea of what the image will end up like. Combining this with Raw capture, I can (if I want) use the higher quality output to reproduce or better what I saw at time of capture to achieve the desired result, in mono or colour.

Yes it involves more PP but I like doing this. Besides, shooting in SF jpeg mode means that if I am happy with that, there is less need for interrogating the Raw file.

I find this a great way of working.....................but it is clearly not for everyone.

E-M1, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
The Following User Says Thank You to benvendetta For This Useful Post:
yorky (27th January 2017)
Old 27th January 2017

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Re: Jpeps v Raw

Hi Dave,

I have always shot in JPeg + RAW mode, and if I am happy with the JPeg then I don't look at the RAW file. I do some minor tweaks to the JPeg if needed.

I find it saves me a lot of time.

Dave
The Following User Liked This Post:
iso (27th January 2017)
Old 27th January 2017
Administrator

Liked 1,104 Times in 662 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Jpegs v Raw

I regularly give presentations at Clubs and this topic always comes up, so I perform the following demonstration of why RAW images are better for post processing than jpgs.

I created all these files in Photoshop, so no cameras were harmed in the process

Consider This:

I create a 16 bit file, add a gradient, then adjust the levels to make the whole image an overall "grey"

1st a 16bit (RAW) file

Using AUTO Levels you get back to approximately the original graduated grey

I then do the exact same process with an 8 Bit image

2nd an 8bit (jpg) file

Again - Using AUTO Levels you get:

I'm using "gross" manipulations of the level controls in the demonstration, but the effect is demonstrably the same with less movement of the sliders...

It's why, when I see "blocking & banding" in the sky of peoples images, I comment on the need to consider using RAW files if they are going to post process the images.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 27th January 2017

Liked 202 Times in 175 Posts
Re: Jpegs v Raw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I regularly give presentations at Clubs and this topic always comes up, so I perform the following demonstration of why RAW images are better for post processing than jpgs.

I created all these files in Photoshop, so no cameras were harmed in the process

Consider This:

I create a 16 bit file, add a gradient, then adjust the levels to make the whole image an overall "grey"

1st a 16bit (RAW) file

Using AUTO Levels you get back to approximately the original graduated grey

I then do the exact same process with an 8 Bit image

2nd an 8bit (jpg) file

Again - Using AUTO Levels you get:

I'm using "gross" manipulations of the level controls in the demonstration, but the effect is demonstrably the same with less movement of the sliders...

It's why, when I see "blocking & banding" in the sky of peoples images, I comment on the need to consider using RAW files if they are going to post process the images.

Well guess POST TAKING says it all