Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-510

Olympus E-510 E-510 specific discussion.

Old 14th January 2009
scanny

Is it dust or something more sinister

Hi all

I got my 510 in May and since then have 5000 or so shutter actuations. I noticed in may that there was what i thought was dust on the sencor, i gave it a blow and it happened again a few times then settled down until now. I was taking longish exposures last week in low light and in the same area the spots re-appeared. I had a look at the sencor and gacve it a blow but there is nothing on it that i can see, tryed another days shooting and it remained there.

Heres a sample, its above the treeline in the top left qaudrant

All help appretiated
Old 14th January 2009

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: Is it dust or something more sinister

I notice this is at f22, a very small aperture... I wonder if it could just be some dust on the lens instead. I bet if you open up to f8 it will vanish...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 14th January 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Looks like dust to me. I regularly had (many) spots like that on my Canons. Did you put the camera into cleaning mode whilst you "gave it a blow"? You might have to resort to a manual clean, or take it for a professional job.
I presume it appears in the same place no matter what lens and whether its in portrait or landscape mode?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 14th January 2009
scanny

It stays in the same place in all my pictures, i thought it was my montior at first but it is clean. My E1 has never had any problems with dust before or my old e400 or brothers e500. I set it to cleaning mode and took a look at the sencor, previously ive seen a fibre or bit of dust sitting on it and the puffer has lifted it but i can see anything now. Ill look into having it sent of for cleaning
Old 14th January 2009
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I had the same thing with my E510 about 6 months ago (think mine was worse) It was dust and my mate sorted it with a rocket blower. I'll see if I can find some pics of it..

edit opps sorry It was hair I had on my sensor..
Old 15th January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I managed to get some dust on mine last summer, because I'd forgotten to turn the camera off when I changed the lens. I ran it through a few on/off cycles and it cleared it.

I hope you fix yours as easily
Old 16th January 2009
scanny

Thanks to all for the advice, ive gave it another shot with the blower and have turned it on and off a good few times, Ill have a play tomorrow and see it the menace is still about. Fingers crossed

Thanks again
Old 16th January 2009

Liked 102 Times in 52 Posts

I had exactly the same with my E-3 recently.

On the above photo there is a dot like yours at the top right above the two green trees and an elongated one directly above the golden tree. The later one was a piece of cotton on the sensor and clearly visible when I raised the mirror. The dot at the top right corner was not visible but both cleared with a few blows from the puffer. A couple of days ago another spot appeared (photo below). Looking at the sensor again reveals nothing (I used a large illuminated magnifying bench lamp), so if it is dust causing the problem it is very small indeed.

I want to take some more photos to replicate the problem before I attempt to blow the sensor clean again. I will comment here again when I have further info. I do think that dust is the problem though.

Steve