Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 15th April 2017

Liked 103 Times in 41 Posts
REVIEW of Commlite COMIX updated Canon ef to mft adapter.

On 7 April I ordered from Amazon UK the “Commlite Upgraded Autofocus Adapter” for Canon ef/efs to m4/3, which can be found here .
It was delivered 13 April.
It was well packed and well presented. It is complete with caps for each end; there is no storage bag of any kind provided.
First impressions are that this is a very well made and substantial item. The Commlite literature says that it is made from cast aluminium and that it weights 89 grams. I do not believe that since it is actually 208 grams [7.35oz] without the caps but including the tripod mount. This is much heavier than the highly regarded Metabones equivalent item which is said to be made of brass.The tripod mount is easily removable being secured by a substantial knurled screwed knob. The inside of the adapter is a very matt black and appears to be a plastic liner. It is not flock lined.
I have only one Canon lens, the 400mm f/5.6 L. This lens mounts firmly on the adapter with no free play. The adapter mounts on my Olympus M1(i) without undue tightness, very smoothly, but there is some small rotational free movement. With the M1 switched on and the lens and adapter mounted, twisting the mount to take up the free movement has no effect on operation.
Now we come to the punch line. It works! Single AF is quick and accurate. C-AF does not work at all, but that is true all all current ef/mft adapters.I first tried a few shots of my resident garden Heron [Heronicus Plasticus] in bright sunlight and autofocus worked well and very quickly. Then I ventured indoors in normal inside daylight and once again all worked without a problem. The camera correctly reports the focal length of the lens, and as expected IBIS works. The aperture of f/5.6 was reported as f/5.7 due to some rounding-up trickery.

It seems to be a well made and substantial bit of kit and if it works in the field as I think it will, my superbly sharp Canon 400/f5.6L has now become a stabilised lens and a brilliant addition to my birding kit.
A further bit of interest is that the Canon 400/5.6L plus my old Canon 1.4 Version 2 extender also auto focuses perfectly and quickly with the Commlite adapter on my Oly M1(i), something it was not supposed to do with my Canon dslr. So that is an unexpected bonus.
The box by Ken Croft, on Flickr
All the kit. by Ken Croft, on Flickr
Commlite : Lens end by Ken Croft, on Flickr
Commlite : Camera end by Ken Croft, on Flickr
Commlite showing tripod mount by Ken Croft, on Flickr
Commlite weight by Ken Croft, on Flickr
Heronicus Plasticus by Ken Croft, on Flickr
Heron above in bright sunlight, Canon 400/5.6L on Oly M1(i)
Hootus Ceramicus by Ken Croft, on Flickr
Ceramic owl indoors with Canon 1.4x extender on Canon 400/5.6L and Oly M1(i)
The Following User Says Thank You to KennyC For This Useful Post:
Miketoll (15th April 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
bredman (15th April 2017)