Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work

Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work This board concentrates on topics that explore the potential of your photography being seen by a wider audience and even earning you some money.

Old 4th June 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Making it pay

Seonnaidh its interesting how "your market" has developed ! and you are a Professional at Photography - I know - in Portrait & Weddings too !

I charge £2.25 per card or 3 for £5 - change is always an issue and I like counting up in £5 or £10's at then end of the day £COSTS x 400% is the rule of thumb ...

The only thing I would add to Seonnaidh is "DO SELL", be doing something related to your products if anything - reading a paper; looking bored puts Peeps off your stand ! and do not look like a Meercat on Sentry Duty waiting to pick Peeps off " and sell to them" ! Sitting behind a table at the back of your stand is what first timers do !

Hopefully you will be so busy with lookers and buyers the time will fly
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 5th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,397 Times in 2,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post
I've been following this thread with great interest as I've personally found nearly all of it to be accurate and correct. Even when various posts have conflicting opinions.

Our experience has led us to believe that the most important thing to consider is your target clientele.
For instance at local Craft Fairs, Fetes, and Agricultural Shows we don't take large framed images, similarly we do not put many large framed prints in most 'galleries'. Why? Because our main buyers are visitors. If they have the disposable income to spend £450 + on a framed print they probably came by air and won't be able to get it back on the plane. (We do not ship framed prints. Ever.) If they came by car they probably have little room anyway. As for families that arrive by car, they definitely do not have room for a 32" x 27" framed print. To be fair most families do not have the disposable income especially nowadays to make a large impulse buy.
At these kind of outlets we market mounted prints up to 20 x 16 and greeetings cards. These sell well and occassionally we might sell a 20 x 16 framed print, say island wide about four a week.
Like Chevvy we use three fold aperture cards which we have made for us in a linen finish and print our images on Ilford Gallerie Pearl. Total cost of product including cellophane bag and envelope et al 60p (I will gladly show anyone at the Highland meet some samples) SRP £2.00 to £2.60 per card.
One of the things we have found is that once you start attending a few craft fairs and people see the quality of your work some surprising things happen.
(a) You get invited to others well before a general announcement is made.
(b) We are often approached to attend these events at reduced rates and on the understanding that no other photographers are attending as sellers.
Believe it or not organisers get asked if so and so will be attending because members of the public want to buy their product. Thats when you know you've got it right.

OK then onto the higher end of the market. We are very fortunate to be asked to display work at several Highland Art Fairs. Here is where the big money can be earned. Almost everyone who comes through the door is either there by invite or has seen the advertising, they are qualified buyers and are prepared to spend four five six hundred pounds on a single image, even more on original paintings. Last year our next door stall holder at a middle rate event sold £6k's worth of oil paintings.

On average we sell three or four large framed prints, about a dozen small framed prints 20 x 16 and our 60cm Square framed prints usually get into double figures. Reckon on selling anything from 15 - 60 mounted prints of various sizes. Greetings cards maybe a dozen, maybe.
Our experience with framing is keep it simple. Plain neutral coloured frames will always sell. Mounts, we use archival quality double mounts and wrap most mounted prints individually in cellophane with nicely presented and folded corners etc.

Using an Epson 4800 wide format printer and Ilford Gold Fibre Silk paper and a custom profile we cut down on waste. I'm ashamed and embarrassed to tell you how much profit we make on mounted prints ( no, I'm not really) but it is very lucrative. Bear in mind that we have to make our money during the 'season' as in the winter hardly anything at all sells.

So as you can see choose your events/ outlets wisely, study your market and aim squarely at what they want/can afford. Lastly don't get hurt feelings if the images that you love and are very proud of don't sell. Be prepared for the general public to like, admire and most importantly buy what you wouldn't.
Any further questions please feel free to ask.
Jon, thanks for this, I can see the importance of knowing my market - which I don't at the moment! The first couple of events will very much be a case of "suck it and see." I'm thinking of having a market research questionaire on the stall which would give me an excuse for talking to potential customers and discovering their card/print buying habits and preferences.

You mention "neutral" coloured frames, is that natural wood?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th June 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Seonnaidh its interesting how "your market" has developed ! and you are a Professional at Photography - I know - in Portrait & Weddings too !

I charge £2.25 per card or 3 for £5 - change is always an issue and I like counting up in £5 or £10's at then end of the day £COSTS x 400% is the rule of thumb ...

The only thing I would add to Seonnaidh is "DO SELL", be doing something related to your products if anything - reading a paper; looking bored puts Peeps off your stand ! and do not look like a Meercat on Sentry Duty waiting to pick Peeps off " and sell to them" ! Sitting behind a table at the back of your stand is what first timers do !

Hopefully you will be so busy with lookers and buyers the time will fly
Chevvy, that's a good point about looking busy, business related. Hopefully I will be able to engage people in conversation or maybe take a stock of printed cards to be folded and sealed in bags during quiet moments - something like that. Must admit I probably would have sat behind the table!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th June 2011

Um! none of us "Purveyors of fine photographic Art" have mentioned any "modern Art" - thus Mouse Mats; Coffee/Tea mugs etc., you know "the stuff" Peeps order with their own photos on ...

I did think about a few mouse mats ... but not got around to an order yet

Three K's of Sales & Marketing:

KYM = Know your Market
KYC = Know your Competition
KYP = Know your Product

For me 12 card sales would be a really bad profit day ! Most often in a 2 hour lunchtime table at a Conference break 3-45 cards ! ... um thats a point to state ... Local colleges, small ones of Agriculture and Hotels have 1 or 2 day conference for "Local Peeps relevant" so little if any overnight stays - but they like to put on "something for the Conf. Attendees to look at during lunch breaks, (if they dont do this offer to display and talk about Landscape; Portrait Photography and can I display/maybe offer a few cards/prints!. Here the "offer of Entertainment in the STIX" is welcomed and stand space FREE ! These days everyone has a "camera" and does "photography" and they ask "how did you GET THAT SHOT"; what camera do you use? Settings? and its Relationship Marketing - after chatting and enjoying their time with you, they feel they outght to buy something/cards (thats if they did not at the beginning ...)

Then there are Open or Closed Questions ... how often are you browsing and the assistant says "can I help you?" and you reply ... NO thanks! Whereas if the assistant said "Hi with a smile" you would ? reciprocate ? thats the beginning of Relationship Marketing ! thus if two identical products, at identical prices, who do you buy from ? the one you "like" best/have a relationship with (s/he was nice/said hi/smiled acknowledged ME ! ) Peeps buy Peeps they buy from ! via MY SOLICITOR; MY ACCOUNTANT; MY GARDNER; wedding photographers "OUR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER"

KOTLER on Marketing & Management ruled in the 80's and still does !

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (5th June 2011)
Old 8th August 2014

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Your courage in the face of adversity is truly remarkable sir, you photography inspiring and your skill excellent.
I wonder if you could perhaps do some workshops for other disabled people, most disabled organisations and charities are always looking for things like that ? In this world it's about meeting the right people, I know this as I have run several of my own business in time.
Right now I am in a similar position to yourself, I have diabetes controlled by insulin, a massive heart attack when I was just 45, I also suffer other health problems the worst being fibromyalgia (one of the most evil syndrome to live with) I recently lost my wife after she decided she wanted a healthy husband and just recently was nearly killed by a hospital superbug (i did actually die for 6 mins) on HDU ward. I am also fighting for my benefits as i have been moved from DLA to PIP, so far it's taken 10 months and I still haven't got my award sorted, I also suffer from quite bad depression, all of these has seen my hobbies fall by the way side, fly fishing,D.I.Y,Clay shooting and other forms of shooting,heck I even sold all my camera gear at one point as I can't walk very far with being in a lot of pain, I rarely go out these days and I'm only 52
to get to my point the medication (300 tablets a week plus morphine plus daily injections) has destroyed my once excellent memory, in the past B&W photography was a passion but the darkroom was my best friend, i used to frequent a local youth workshop where they had an excellent darkroom and photography gear to match, I could use the place whenever I wanted and just paid cost price for chemicals and paper etc. one day I was asked by the manager that as i spent so much time in their would I mind doing a workshop teaching the less fortunate, I agreed and after a while I started to get paid for my efforts. What hurts me the most now is I seem to have lost that artistic eye i had then, the one where you see a photograph where others don't if you get my meaning, I was happy to drive round looking for "that shot" we all look for. anyway with all my old hobbies gone and just my 2 children to keep me going (8yo and 13yo) we where looking for something and came across my old portfolio of B&W Pictures, my son was impressed so much he made me buy another camera with the money I got for selling my fishing gear and stuff, I would love to get out more and learn again as my skills are very rusty but often find my illness's stop me, especially the depression, how do you manage yours ? what are the factors that drive you, I wish I could learn from you as I really do love photography, I have seen just about every image on here and they all look better to me than my own and yours are stunning, I believe if the right person where to see them you would sell many more and as such I will be showing others (if you don't mind) that may well be able to help you sell more. Sorry if iv'e rambled on a bit, having a bad day today. good luck
Keith
Old 8th August 2014

Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 2,208 Times in 1,056 Posts

Taz I'd love to see the pictures you took that persuaded your son to persuade you to get another camera. How about posting some? What camera did you get? From the images you posted previously I think you'll soon shake any rust off those grey cells. Don't be too hard on your own stuff, I also feel others post better images than I do but it's great to get feedback in whatever form that takes as this is a great learning environment. Hope your day improves and tomorrow is even better.
Old 8th August 2014

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

they are negatives now and iv'e been looking to get a scanner to put them on film again but i will try for you,like i said the darkroom was my real love often spending 12 hours + in there, as for my more recent pics maybe i'm being to self critical i don't know or it could ust be the depression rearing it's ugly head but thanks anyway
Old 8th August 2014

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

forgot to add in the old days i used pentax and olympus now I use an E620
THANKS
Old 8th August 2014

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I would love to hook up with someone close to me for a nice day out taking photo's ?
Old 8th August 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Your courage in the face of adversity is truly remarkable sir, you photography inspiring and your skill excellent.
I wonder if you could perhaps do some workshops for other disabled people, most disabled organisations and charities are always looking for things like that ? In this world it's about meeting the right people, I know this as I have run several of my own business in time.
Right now I am in a similar position to yourself, I have diabetes controlled by insulin, a massive heart attack when I was just 45, I also suffer other health problems the worst being fibromyalgia (one of the most evil syndrome to live with) I recently lost my wife after she decided she wanted a healthy husband and just recently was nearly killed by a hospital superbug (i did actually die for 6 mins) on HDU ward. I am also fighting for my benefits as i have been moved from DLA to PIP, so far it's taken 10 months and I still haven't got my award sorted, I also suffer from quite bad depression, all of these has seen my hobbies fall by the way side, fly fishing,D.I.Y,Clay shooting and other forms of shooting,heck I even sold all my camera gear at one point as I can't walk very far with being in a lot of pain, I rarely go out these days and I'm only 52
to get to my point the medication (300 tablets a week plus morphine plus daily injections) has destroyed my once excellent memory, in the past B&W photography was a passion but the darkroom was my best friend, i used to frequent a local youth workshop where they had an excellent darkroom and photography gear to match, I could use the place whenever I wanted and just paid cost price for chemicals and paper etc. one day I was asked by the manager that as i spent so much time in their would I mind doing a workshop teaching the less fortunate, I agreed and after a while I started to get paid for my efforts. What hurts me the most now is I seem to have lost that artistic eye i had then, the one where you see a photograph where others don't if you get my meaning, I was happy to drive round looking for "that shot" we all look for. anyway with all my old hobbies gone and just my 2 children to keep me going (8yo and 13yo) we where looking for something and came across my old portfolio of B&W Pictures, my son was impressed so much he made me buy another camera with the money I got for selling my fishing gear and stuff, I would love to get out more and learn again as my skills are very rusty but often find my illness's stop me, especially the depression, how do you manage yours ? what are the factors that drive you, I wish I could learn from you as I really do love photography, I have seen just about every image on here and they all look better to me than my own and yours are stunning, I believe if the right person where to see them you would sell many more and as such I will be showing others (if you don't mind) that may well be able to help you sell more. Sorry if iv'e rambled on a bit, having a bad day today. good luck
Keith
Hi Keith,

Itís amazing how things can change in three years and this has struck me as Iíve re-read the thread. At the time I had been medically retired a little under two years and was desperate to find either a part time job that I could do or some way to make a little money from my hobby. Iíve long since lost hope of achieving either, no longer receive the Employment Support Allowance (as expected) and have simply coped by economising. The result is that I have all the time in the world but donít do much with it!

The craft fairs idea was an interesting experience, with a few successful days but too many where I barely covered the cost of the pitch. Eventually I accepted that it wasnít working and pulled out. My book did rather well, in a gratifying sort of way rather than financially, with around 50 sales in printed copies and about another 50 in ebook format, when Blurb added that option. Interest has dried up now, but itís a project I can look back upon with satisfaction.

Photography is still important and enjoyable for me but in a casual, snapshot sort of way. I no longer have the inclination for serious landscape photography with planned shoots, dawn starts and multiple visits to a location until I get what I want. I like to seek out the unusual and quirky on gentle, impromptu walkabouts rather than pursue specific goals.

I really should continue with my half-finished Parkinsonís documentary and produce it as a book or something but for now I seem to have lost the motivation and the same goes for a book on Hatfield Forest that I started before grinding to a halt.

You make some very kind comments about my work but Iím not sure what I have left to offer. In retrospect my best pictures were all achieved by planning, persistence, dedication and single-minded determination rather than any great talent.

Iím glad to hear that you have come back to photography and I hope it continues to be therapeutic and enjoyable. Youíve certainly had a rougher deal in terms of ill health than I; though my condition is frustrating and limiting it is not life-threatening or painful and my marriage is still intact despite an enforced change in the nature of my relationship with my wife. I can especially sympathize with you for the fibromyalgia because my sister suffers from this and I know how nasty it is, particularly when you have other major health problems. With all that youíve had to endure, donít set your photographic expectations too high, at least for now. Concentrate on the enjoyment it brings you with no pressure and maybe your artistic eye and unique way of seeing will return in time.

Old 9th August 2014

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thank you John
you certainly manage your depression better than me and I would love to know how you manage that, the frustration is something that sometimes brings me to tears, having re-built my last house from and empty shell I now struggle to change a plug ! I wish I could just find a way to force myself to get out more and take more pictures, then things might come back to me, it's a shame we don't live closer i would love to sit and chat with you and maybe have a day out taking some pictures with your guidance ? i have certainly received some small amount of inspiration from your story, I didn't write my post to get any sympathy, i didn't even get that from my x wife as my illness's are invisible to the casual looker and as such I suffer very much in silence. I just wan't to be able to show my kids that dad can still do something good and give them some pride in their father, not that they don't have any, the sheer fact i don't give in makes them proud of me, but to have something hung on the wall would impress them no end but more to the point it would give me back some of my pride of which I have very little these days despite living a quite wild and wonderful life before i was struck down by disability. my kids are basically my life these days and my whole reason for living, but my oldest son wanted a camera last christmas and i got him a Nikon bridge camera for half price which takes some excellent photos so we could at least do 1 hobby together and he loves that. I must admit post processing i struggle with and i miss my darkroom lol , I also don't have the patience i used to have to spend time setting up shots and I feel having someone with me doing the same thing may well encourage me a bit more, i'm sure there must be other people close to me that would enjoy a day out together, i just need someone to approach me with an offer, i can drive but limit myself to shortish journeys of up to 50 miles maxso if anyone close to me that fancies a day out then pm me please.
again I wish you all the very best god can afford you John I really do, you are an amazing bloke to whome I look up to and admire a great deal, take care mate
Keith
Old 9th August 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Thank you John
you certainly manage your depression better than me and I would love to know how you manage that, the frustration is something that sometimes brings me to tears, having re-built my last house from and empty shell I now struggle to change a plug ! I wish I could just find a way to force myself to get out more and take more pictures, then things might come back to me, it's a shame we don't live closer i would love to sit and chat with you and maybe have a day out taking some pictures with your guidance ? i have certainly received some small amount of inspiration from your story, I didn't write my post to get any sympathy, i didn't even get that from my x wife as my illness's are invisible to the casual looker and as such I suffer very much in silence. I just wan't to be able to show my kids that dad can still do something good and give them some pride in their father, not that they don't have any, the sheer fact i don't give in makes them proud of me, but to have something hung on the wall would impress them no end but more to the point it would give me back some of my pride of which I have very little these days despite living a quite wild and wonderful life before i was struck down by disability. my kids are basically my life these days and my whole reason for living, but my oldest son wanted a camera last christmas and i got him a Nikon bridge camera for half price which takes some excellent photos so we could at least do 1 hobby together and he loves that. I must admit post processing i struggle with and i miss my darkroom lol , I also don't have the patience i used to have to spend time setting up shots and I feel having someone with me doing the same thing may well encourage me a bit more, i'm sure there must be other people close to me that would enjoy a day out together, i just need someone to approach me with an offer, i can drive but limit myself to shortish journeys of up to 50 miles maxso if anyone close to me that fancies a day out then pm me please.
again I wish you all the very best god can afford you John I really do, you are an amazing bloke to whome I look up to and admire a great deal, take care mate
Keith
I was lucky with my depression, I got expert help at a crucial time; without it I may not have been here today. Even so, it nearly overwhelmed and consumed me and itís been a long and difficult path to recovery. I donít think I ever had it as bad as some people, though, because somehow (to this day I donít know how) I managed, just, to continue functioning at a daily basic level. Going to work was like an actor going on stage; I played my part, said my lines then walked off at the end of the day back into my own private Hell. I think the terror of losing my job spurred me on; ironically I think it was this fear as much as the remorseless self-pity at what was happening to me that triggered the depression in the first place. And this forum helped, providing me with a valuable escape and distraction for several hours a day. I have little recollection of what my home life was like at the time and I must have been difficult to live with!

Now I seem to have it under control and I think that is largely because I have accepted my fate. By that I mean I no longer fret about finding a job or despair at the way my life has changed through shortage of money and physical limitations. In a way I recognise that my life (as I once knew it and want it to be) is over, but I also accept that there are others with far greater problems and that I must try to make the most of what I have left. That makes sense because my type of depression was diagnosed specifically as an adjustment disorder.

One thing that continues to frustrate me is a lack of motivation to do even the things that I am still able to do. I wondered if this was an effect of the anti-depressants and perhaps rather foolishly weaned myself off them earlier this year. As a result I have become more emotional Ė recent events in Gazza and the commemoration of the start of WW1 for example have brought me to tears, but otherwise there seems to be no other consequences, good or bad. However, over the same period I have managed to lose 20 pound in weight and that has helped me feel a little better about myself.

I suspect your depression is similar in type to mine, largely fuelled by frustration at not being able to function as you once did. I also relate to you not wanting sympathy, but a little understanding from others and recognition of your obstacles can go a long way. I think you are right to focus on your kids and thank goodness you have them to give you a purpose. Itís great that you are starting to share hobbies with them.

As you say, given what we have in common itís a shame we donít live closer. You would obviously benefit from the company of a like-minded photography enthusiast Ė are there any local camera clubs? Failing that, why not start a separate thread on this forum seeking local members to meet up with Ė there is a chance that some of them are not reading this thread because they donít have an interest in making money from photography!

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Taz (9th August 2014)
Old 9th August 2014

Taz and John, we all become more emotional in later life - spending time thinking about the past - what we COULD DO WHEN YOUNGER and cannot do now elders often this "depth" of emotions surfacing are due to "Thyroid malfunctions" ! (average age of these diagnosed is 55 years young!) ... of which I do know much ... many Thyroid malfunctions go un-noted ... as so many people "get on with it ... life that is" - pushing the emotional outbreaks into a cupboard and closing the "door" on them ! ...until again they resurface - maybe the Thyroid problem gets diagnosed - most often not (until a PM post life ) but at least the Relatives get to know "what was wrong with ?"

Talking, Cognitive Therapy is wonderful I can highly recommend it and sharing is halving problems, often !

I share "Pottery ; Photography ; Sewing ; Arts sketching/Drawing and Painting and LURVE IT ! ... making cards and selling all I can (to re invest in the next Projects for ME and living on "that nasty olde tight-rope" is so very much better !

Go to Taz and John and post some positive moves forward for each of you

the ONE photo album
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (9th August 2014)