Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 16th February 2019

Liked 154 Times in 104 Posts
Re: Olympus 1.4 mc 14

If Olympus or Luton can't won't supply you with a spare, you could try one of these companies, or someone similar;

Modelfixings or Microfastenings.

I have made them in the past to repair a telescope, but only in brass and I would have thought that stainless would be preferable; ideally a high tensile grade.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following User Says Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (16th February 2019)
Old 16th February 2019

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
Thanks Ron, bit cheeky with Olympus wanting to charge. Their excuse that my mc14 was not a lens, or camera, so wasnít covered by my Olympus pro cover warranty. I am tempted to send them the link you gave me.
Thanks again
Kind regards mike
The MC14 is not a lens? This is an outrageous response. The loose screw is obviously defective workmanship; they should have some thread-lock on them. It's not as if you take them in and out yourself and that is why one was lost. Olympus should fix this under warranty.
Old 16th February 2019

Quote:
Thanks Mark so Iím on my way itís a iso m2 size I will take one out later and check the length thanks again.
Kind regards mike.

They are 6mm long, which is a standard size. I am happy to post the M2x6mm countersunk screw I have to you FOC. It is slotted, but does seem to fit well. I've tried it on the MC14 a few times and I am now pretty confident the original thread is M2.

The originals are some sort of pan head, but the M2 pan heads I have are all to big to go into the counterbore in the flange. In fact, most of the countersunk screws I have also have heads that are too big. The one that fits must have been recycled from something.Using a countersunk screw is not ideal, but is better than no screw at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark_R2 For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (16th February 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (17th February 2019)
Old 16th February 2019

Liked 2,629 Times in 809 Posts

Apparently warranty repairs for HDEW Cameras are carried out by A.J. Johnstone & Co Ltd of Glasgow. It might be worth contacting them to see if they can supply the screws or repair the converter more cheaply, if all else fails.

Here is a link to their website:

https://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/

Ron
Old 16th February 2019

Liked 2,725 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_R2 View Post
The MC14 is not a lens? This is an outrageous response. The loose screw is obviously defective workmanship; they should have some thread-lock on them. It's not as if you take them in and out yourself and that is why one was lost. Olympus should fix this under warranty.
What is the definition of a lens then???

My Flickr
Old 16th February 2019

Liked 47 Times in 41 Posts

i Have sent a letter to Olympus stating that I am not happy, and links on the subject of the MC14 problems. Let’s see what happens. Drove to the Farnborough shop but no joy. Let’s hope a fix can be found.
Kind regards Mike.
PS tried to remove some screws from some old gear that was gathering dust ie an old kenko converter and old canon lens but with no luck. I think that they were deffo screwed and glued
Kind regards Mike
Old 16th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Apparently warranty repairs for HDEW Cameras are carried out by A.J. Johnstone & Co Ltd of Glasgow. It might be worth contacting them to see if they can supply the screws or repair the converter more cheaply, if all else fails.

Here is a link to their website:

https://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/

Ron
Will do Ron and thanks
Kind regards Mike
Old 16th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_R2 View Post
They are 6mm long, which is a standard size. I am happy to post the M2x6mm countersunk screw I have to you FOC. It is slotted, but does seem to fit well. I've tried it on the MC14 a few times and I am now pretty confident the original thread is M2.

The originals are some sort of pan head, but the M2 pan heads I have are all to big to go into the counterbore in the flange. In fact, most of the countersunk screws I have also have heads that are too big. The one that fits must have been recycled from something.Using a countersunk screw is not ideal, but is better than no screw at all.
Hi Mark thanks for your kind offer, can we leave this offer on the table please. I should hear back from Olympus early part of next week and I am away for a few days to the IOW. I will be doing a little landscape there so the MC14 isnít essential. I may escalate the problem of why this happens and when is a lens not a lens etc if Olympus do not offer me a solution.
Kindest regards Mike
Old 16th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
If Olympus or Luton can't won't supply you with a spare, you could try one of these companies, or someone similar;

Modelfixings or Microfastenings.

I have made them in the past to repair a telescope, but only in brass and I would have thought that stainless would be preferable; ideally a high tensile grade.
Thankyou for the links sent will investigate further kind regards Mike
Old 16th February 2019

Liked 1,454 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
PS tried to remove some screws from some old gear that was gathering dust ie an old kenko converter and old canon lens but with no luck. I think that they were deffo screwed and glued
I've removed screws that were similarly locked by judiciously applying the tip of a small soldering iron to soften the compound. It's always worked for me.

Traditionally shellac was used as a locking compound in the aerospace industry, and ISTRC that a Handley Page Victor crashed because a screw in the altimeter hadn't been locked.

Jim
Old 16th February 2019

Quote:
Hi Mark thanks for your kind offer, can we leave this offer on the table please. I should hear back from Olympus early part of next week and I am away for a few days to the IOW. I will be doing a little landscape there so the MC14 isnít essential. I may escalate the problem of why this happens and when is a lens not a lens etc if Olympus do not offer me a solution.
Kindest regards Mike
Hi Mike, yes, no problem. It's yours if and when you need it.

Regards, Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark_R2 For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (4 Weeks Ago)
Mdb2 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 17th February 2019

Liked 345 Times in 175 Posts

I have 2 x 6mm black flat cross headed screws in the collection of laptop screws I bought off eBay for a few quid. If you want a couple posted I’m happy to help, perhaps measure the head width too. I would imagine anywhere that repairs phones, tablets and laptops will have a variety of suitable alternatives too.

I’ve had similar luck with eBay multipacks of screws and sunglasses. You end up with a lot of spares but the cost is pretty small.
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (4 Weeks Ago)
Mdb2 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 17th February 2019

Liked 188 Times in 42 Posts

How about a watch repairer -just a thought.
Rob.
The Following User Says Thank You to GyRob For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (4 Weeks Ago)