Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 13th June 2015

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
2nd curtain flash manualble ower control?

I've tried to do this for a while without success. Can you help? Camera is OMD EM10.

I want to use 2nd curtain flash with manual power control. Using manual power default to first curtain. Can you do both?
Old 14th June 2015

Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,003 Posts
Liked 1,905 Times in 1,063 Posts
Re: 2nd curtain flash manualble ower control?

I don't believe that is possible, but you can adjust the flash compensation value though in 2nd curtain flash (Slow2) with it easily accessible from the Super Control Panel (SCP) by highlighting that box & adjusting the front wheel.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 14th June 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,559 Times in 894 Posts

This is strange. With both the E-P5 and E-M1 I get TWO flash emissions when set to Slow2

The first flash at whatever power I have set it to (1/64) and the second looks like full power.

Using and external flash, it works exactly as I would expect.

I'll experiment more later (when it's dark)

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 14th June 2015

Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,003 Posts
Liked 1,905 Times in 1,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
This is strange. With both the E-P5 and E-M1 I get TWO flash emissions when set to Slow2

The first flash at whatever power I have set it to (1/64) and the second looks like full power.

Using and external flash, it works exactly as I would expect.

I'll experiment more later (when it's dark)

Are you saying you set the manual flash (on camera) to 1/64th power & then use Slow2? If that is what you're saying then I don't think the Slow2 is using manual but TTL & the first flash is the usual TTL pre-flash to determine the power needed & then the 2nd flash is the real flash (as determined by TTL) just before the shutter curtain closes & if Yat is using the pop-up flash on the E-M10 & needs it to be a lower amount of flash then that can be reduced with the Flash Compensation adjustment on the camera or, as you say, if using an external flash like the FL50(R) & FL36(R) (on camera), then the flash can be set to Manual while the camera is set to Slow2 (2nd curtain) & it only fires the once then, at the end of exposure, at the set level of power on the flash. I just tested both methods to make sure that happens as well (on the E-M1 with the FL-LM2 accessories port flash, which should be the same as the pop-up flash on the E-M10). I guess a non TTL external flash can be used that way with 2nd curtain flash too if it has manual power level adjustment on it.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 15th June 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Are you saying you set the manual flash (on camera) to 1/64th power & then use Slow2? If that is what you're saying then I don't think the Slow2 is using manual but TTL & the first flash is the usual TTL pre-flash to determine the power needed & then the 2nd flash is the real flash (as determined by TTL) just before the shutter curtain closes & if Yat is using the pop-up flash on the E-M10 & needs it to be a lower amount of flash then that can be reduced with the Flash Compensation adjustment on the camera or, as you say, if using an external flash like the FL50(R) & FL36(R) (on camera), then the flash can be set to Manual while the camera is set to Slow2 (2nd curtain) & it only fires the once then, at the end of exposure, at the set level of power on the flash. I just tested both methods to make sure that happens as well (on the E-M1 with the FL-LM2 accessories port flash, which should be the same as the pop-up flash on the E-M10). I guess a non TTL external flash can be used that way with 2nd curtain flash too if it has manual power level adjustment on it.
Well done Ross, you're right.

I've just used a flash meter to measure the output of the manual flash @1/64 and got a reading of f/2.0

The first flash of Slow2 measured f/5.0 and the second flash f/3.6

I've been meaning to "play" with Slow2 to balance available (background) with flash (subject)

Looks like the answer is to use an external flash and dial it in to whatever you want...

The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (15th June 2015)
Old 15th June 2015

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks guys. I mounted an external flash on manual mode and set the power on the flash and used Slow 2 on the camera. That work as I wanted.

What I want to do is to use the internal flash to trigger studio lights. There will be movement and I want the flash to fire at the end. When I use my Canon camera, I can set 2nd curtain flash which ever mode I use. As I am using studio flash, I only want a single flash without a preflash. Looks like I need to use an external flash to achieve this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yat For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (15th June 2015)
Old 16th June 2015
Administrator

I always use radio triggers in the studio to avoid getting any extra catch lights in the eyes.

Please let us see the results

Old 16th June 2015

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

2nd curtain only works with Canon flash when shooting with Canon bodies. With radio trigger it will only work 1st curtain. I only set it to minimum power pointed to the ceiling to trigger the studio flash. I will try this with Olympus to see if 2nd curtain will work with radio trigger.
Old 16th June 2015
Administrator

Exclamation Re: 2nd curtain flash manualble ower control?

I've tried a few things and I think you may do well with an Olympus T-18 flash, and suitable deflector to bounce the light to the slave flashes.

I've several 5 - 10 eBay flashes that I use for all manner of things and my "customised" Vivitar works as you would want.

My PiXeL Pawn triggers work on 2nd curtain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLYMPUS-T1...item33a43d59ff

Old 16th June 2015

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks Graham. I just tried my radio trigger and it does fire 2nd curtain with my EM10. A nice surprise.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (17th June 2015)
Old 19th June 2015
Administrator

I've been in touch with Olympus and have confirmation:

"As studio work is normally in controlled environments and using syncro cables, we have no way of turning off TTL metering for attachable/internal units."

I also asked if full Manual for both 1st & 2nd curtain could be introduced in future models for consistency with external flash units. The reply was:

"I have however forwarded your concerns via our 'voice of customer' channels and this will be picked up by our development team."

A positive response and hopefully something that could possibly be achieved with a firmware update.

Old 19th June 2015

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for asking Graham, there is no good reason why manual power mode can not be set to 2nd curtain. There should just be a setting for flash to be 1st or 2nd curtain for all modes. I wonder how long this feature will be available if at all.
Yat
Old 19th June 2015
Administrator

I have had problems with demonstrations in the studio when people have red eye reduction on and even some that fave the flash as a focus illuminator.

Now that radio triggers are so much cheaper, I use them for all the primary triggering and slave any additional heads.