Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd February 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,977 Times in 2,313 Posts
Liked 3,910 Times in 1,846 Posts
It had to happen

The other day at my exhibition I became involved in a long conversation with a fellow photographer. Eventually he asked THE question, "Which do you use, Nikon or Canon?" I took great pleasure in replying, "Olympus actually." He was somewhat apologetic but no harm done - at least he didn't look at the pictures and say, "Oh, these obviously weren't taken on a Nikon or Canon."

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd February 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts
Re: It had to happen

Last week I was talking to an engineer who had come to fix a fault on our alarm system. Turned out he used to be president of a local camera club. Inevitably he asked what camera I used. I replied Olympus and Panasonic. He said he didn't like compact cameras as they didn't have viewfinders, only screens. When I told him about electronic view finders he said he had never heard of them. He couldn't fix the alarm either.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 306 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
The other day at my exhibition I became involved in a long conversation with a fellow photographer. Eventually he asked THE question, "Which do you use, Nikon or Canon?" I took great pleasure in replying, "Olympus actually." He was somewhat apologetic but no harm done - at least he didn't look at the pictures and say, "Oh, these obviously weren't taken on a Nikon or Canon."
I do a lot of judging for the WPF here in south Wales and often get asked the same question. People brought up on N and C know absoutely nothing about what else is out there, including many of those in my own club.

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
He couldn't fix the alarm either.
Outstanding!

Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 147 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
...I replied Olympus and Panasonic. He said he didn't like compact cameras as they didn't have viewfinders, only screens. When I told him about electronic view finders he said he had never heard of them. He couldn't fix the alarm either.
Aah that classic blend of ignorance and incompetence, warms the heart.
Old 22nd February 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,324 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I do a lot of judging for the WPF here in south Wales and often get asked the same question. People brought up on N and C know absoutely nothing about what else is out there, including many of those in my own club.
In all the years I've been judging for the EAF the make of camera used has only ever been raised a very few times. Once a Chairman did introduce me by saying that as a fellow Olympus user, I'd know all about image quality...

Some of the "macro" shots of insects taken with compact cameras are every bit as good as the ones taken with kit costing many times more, which is often down to the photographer, using the camera with much better technique and in better light. Many times over tea and at the end of the evening people tell me about the way they got the shot but rarely do we talk about what kit was used.

I have to admit I do enjoy it when a person exhibits a wet print, taken with some very old equipment such as a gandolfi camera or the like, then it's a whole different matter.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts

Who cares what kit a photo was taken with, so long as the shot is good?

This was taken with my Samsung compact camera....

I had to ask for advice last night on how to delete it from my Gallery on here as I honestly thought it was a shot from my e520...

It's not the greatest of shots, but it's a great reminder of a good day...do I care what camera it was taken with? No...not in the slightest...I'm no camera snob!

Janet

Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I've never been to a dinner party where someone complimenting the cook asks what oven they used.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul19 For This Useful Post:
JohnF (24th February 2012)
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 306 Times in 210 Posts

Funnily enough we had John 'The Musicman' Burns back at my club this evening for another of his Lightroom talks (and very good it was). There was one 'witty' comment from the floor when one of the screens showed something relating to the E-3 that John (and I) use. Canon users, think their kit is the dog's doodahs.

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 22nd February 2012

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Who cares what kit a photo was taken with, so long as the shot is good?

This was taken with my Samsung compact camera....

I had to ask for advice last night on how to delete it from my Gallery on here as I honestly thought it was a shot from my e520...

It's not the greatest of shots, but it's a great reminder of a good day...do I care what camera it was taken with? No...not in the slightest...I'm no camera snob!

Janet
I honestly think the the make of the camera isn't a problem as the picture is composed and taken by the person behind the camera. Far too much emphasis is put on other peoples posting of images and when a new camera comes along all posters want to see a selection of what the camera can do.....but again I say it isn't the camera that takes the picture it is the person behind it!!

By the way this is a great shot!!
Old 23rd February 2012

Thanked 1,181 Times in 1,098 Posts
Liked 1,478 Times in 768 Posts

Janet that is a lovely canal shot. It's a well spotted composition as well I bet most people would have tried to exclude the telephone box and picknik table to just get the canal views. I agree who cares what it was taken on. Whatever pp you did worked well too.
Old 23rd February 2012

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

I completely agree with Janet about the camera used being irrelevant and that it is the image that matters.

When I used to be strongly into Photographic competitions on the club scene, this one got first place in the Annual club comp and excepted into a major national exhibition.

Granted it was a 10x8 print mounted on a 20x16 board as it would not stand being printed any larger. But then it was taken on the first digital camera I ever owned .

A Kodak DC 4800 3.2 Mp point and shoot zoom.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 23rd February 2012

Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,117 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Last week I was talking to an engineer who had come to fix a fault on our alarm system. Turned out he used to be president of a local camera club. Inevitably he asked what camera I used. I replied Olympus and Panasonic. He said he didn't like compact cameras as they didn't have viewfinders, only screens. When I told him about electronic view finders he said he had never heard of them. He couldn't fix the alarm either.
Ho! Ho! Ho! .. Stephen I didn't know this was a JOKE thread ...
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 23rd February 2012

Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,117 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Sorry I skipped over most of the posts here - in my laughing moments at Stephen's joke ...
Janet that is a FAB shot - composition, light, is WoW ! I think I posted when you first uploaded this ?

Paul, THAT is one moody, misty, atmospheric shot ... no wonder it won!

I have been out and about with other 4m togs and there is definitely a "feeling of superiority" over my Oly - among the *anon's ... ! I have held their *anon's and felt the weight ... at least twice of my E-5 and so complicated with so many dials and stuff ... but truthfully, I don't really know anything about *anon's ... !

I like Olympus - warts and all and I expect them to come up with the goods - I have loved the products the brand produces for most of my life (except starting with a Kodak Instamatic 77 at age 11 by 17 Oly lover
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 23rd February 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
"Oh, these obviously weren't taken on a Nikon or Canon."
Maybe he should!

Because the pictures were actually sharp and colourful!
-Yoshihisa Maitani