Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Old 19th May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E620 viewfinder vs E1

Hello,

I've got an E1 but I've been thinking about getting an E620 recently as a stop-gap until the E3 replacement arrives and is available at a sensible price - the E620 at a body only price of around 500 is quite attractive at the moment, an E3 at around 1000+ isn't given that it's due for a replacement in a few months. I'm not considering an E30 as I think its overpriced.

I figure that if I got the E620 I could always sell it later when the E3 replacement comes out and still get a decent price for it part exchange, whereas if I bought an E3 now it wouldn't maintain its value relative to it's replacement.

The main thing that puts me off the E620 is the viewfinder, I know it's bigger than the E330/E420/E520 but it's a lot smaller than the E3. I've looked at the comparison on http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/view-size.html, but this doesn't show the viewfinder for the E1. I know the E1 viewfinder will be bigger, but by how much I don't know. Thing is, I won't be able to go a camera shop in the near future to compare it myself either.

Can anyone who knows both give me a comment, how is the E620 viewfinder size relative to the E1?

Many thanks.

Padgreen
Old 20th May 2009

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Re: E620 viewfinder vs E1

Using the same method as wrotniak I see the E-1 viewfinder size as 12.48mm x 16.6mm (100% with 0.96 magnification)

That puts its between E620 and the E30 but of course its 100%

Olympus E-3 13.017.3 100% 1.15 15.019.9 297
E-30 98% 1.02 13.017.3 225
E-1 100% 0.96x 12.48x16.6 207.2
E-620 95% 0.96 11.915.8 187
E-520 95% 0.92 11.415.2 172 E-410, E-510, E-420
E-500 95% 0.90 11.114.8 164

After playing with E30 and E620 at the weekend I have opted for the E30 I guess it felt more in line with my E-1's

Cheers

Dave
Old 20th May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. I was surprised to see that the E30 has a bigger viewfinder than the E1. How are you finding it?

Padgreen
Old 20th May 2009

Hopefully I will pick the E-30 up Friday and have a long weekend to play with it! The local camera store had an Oly day last Saturday so could try various combo's and I just felt the 30 suited better than the 620 - but I could imageing it is a personal thing and there was nothing to dislike about the 620 and certainly times when its size would be an advantage.

With respect to viewfinders - yes the 30 was a bit better than the 620 but I was surprised looking at through the 620 next to the 450 there was an improvement it just looked cleaner, maybe the display at bottom or something!

Dave
Old 20th May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave

Once you've had the chance to play with your new E30, I'd be very interested to read of your impressions of how it compares to the E1, particularly as I've read on the Olympus website that you can change the E30 clear viewfinder for a grid - I've got one on my E1.

Thanks.

Padgreen
Old 20th May 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgreen View Post
Hello,

an E3 at around 1000+ isn't given that it's due for a replacement in a few months. I'm not considering an E30 as I think its overpriced.
is that from the horses mouth? I would think the E-3 has much longer to run before a replacement arrives, since the E-30 was a stop gap, and Oly seem to be concentrating on M4/3, now that the 620 and 450 are out also.
Has there been any leaks from Olympus? I can't see it being much of a jump from E-3 to E-X as there was from E-1 to E-3, with todays technology.
Old 20th May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, I don't have any particular information. Just wishful thinking and reporting what the various rumour sites say about an E3 replacement. Olympus took a long time with the E3 and it will be two years old this autumn. I'd hope that a new model will be forthcoming, or at least an annoucement, sometime soon.

I also don't think that the micro 4/3rds annoucement can be taken that Olympus won't be doing anything else with the current range, at least I hope not.

Padgreen
Old 21st May 2009
talepictures.com

I thought the price of the e-30 had gone down significantly?
Old 21st May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has it? Can't say that I've noticed that. It's around 800-850 from the places I've looked ie Bristol Cameras, Warehosue Express etc. I think that's a lot given that the E3 was 850-900 before prices went up because of the poor exchange rate.

Prices at the moment present a bit of a dilemna, at least they do for me. The E3 is very expensive at 1150 which seems to be the current price. There's no offer on either ie no free FL-50R flash or 9-18 mm lens to sweeten the deal.

I think the E3 is a great camera and I'd love one. But am I willing to pay 1150 for a camera that I could have bought for 850-900 a few months ago? No. I'd think twice now before buying one at 900. Why? Because the E3 is now two years old and more recent cameras, ie the E30, have introduced new features that I'd want before I shell out nearly 1000: namely the level guage in the viewfinder and a higher resolution sensor.

The level guage is pretty important to me - I use an E1 and for some reason I don't understand my shots frequently have a slightly out horizon. Nothing major and I can correct it easily in Lightroom. However, I shoot a lot of urban landscapes and I'm quite precise about what I include in the frame. That precision goes out of the window when you correct a wonky horizon in Lightroom as you lose some from the edges of the frame even if you only correct things by a very small amount.

The 12MP sensors is not critical. However, if I'm spending around a 1000 and I have a choice between a two year old 10 MP sensor or a newer 12 MP I'd want the later.

So unless there was a big price drop to clear the remaining stock as there was with the E1, I wouldn't consider a new E3 now.

So why don't I buy the E30? Because it's current price is too near what the E3 was a few months ago. I think that the E30 is a good camera. However, it doesn't have the E3 viewfinder nor is it weather sealed both of which are important to me. 800 is a lot to pay for a camera which is good but doesn't give me everything I want.

Am I the only one that things like this? I'd be interested to hear.

Padgreen
Old 21st May 2009

Horses for courses so they say

I went for the E-30 as I do a fair bit of work in the studio - no need for weatherproofing, and the weight saving will help compared to the E-3 and as you said it has the new goodies.
Compared to E-620 it was little things like the 30 has a PC sync socket! although I use remote triggers for flash I have been caught out with a trigger failiure and the use of a lead saved the day! and according to the spec it can focus in lower light could help at events etc..

I will keep one of the E-1's so will still have a wet day camera

Dave
Old 21st May 2009

Liked 102 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
The level guage is pretty important to me - I use an E1 and for some reason I don't understand my shots frequently have a slightly out horizon.
That is simply soved with a Hotshoe spirit level

Personally, I would prefer this to an electronic one in the camera (no cluttering up of the LCD screen) and certainly not a feature to be basing a purchase decision on (IMO).

Steve
Old 21st May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a hotshoe spirt level like the one you linked to - fine if you're using a tripod but totally useless if you are hand holding the camera and looking through the viewfinder.

I am aware that Seculine make an electronic one and claim that you can still see the level lights when looking through the viewfinder, but I haven't had a chance to check one out yet:

http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Gear/S...spirit-level-/

However, even that is not ideal if you want to attach a GPS unit to the hotshoe when out shooting.

I wouldn't say that I would totally base a purchasing decision on whether a camera has got a built in level, but when evaluating models given that this feature is now available it is certainly high up my priority list.

Padgreen
Old 21st May 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,085 Posts

Quote:
Has it? Can't say that I've noticed that. It's around 800-850 from the places I've looked ie Bristol Cameras, Warehosue Express etc. I think that's a lot given that the E3 was 850-900 before prices went up because of the poor exchange rate.

Prices at the moment present a bit of a dilemna, at least they do for me. The E3 is very expensive at 1150 which seems to be the current price. There's no offer on either ie no free FL-50R flash or 9-18 mm lens to sweeten the deal.

I think the E3 is a great camera and I'd love one. But am I willing to pay 1150 for a camera that I could have bought for 850-900 a few months ago? No. I'd think twice now before buying one at 900. Why? Because the E3 is now two years old and more recent cameras, ie the E30, have introduced new features that I'd want before I shell out nearly 1000: namely the level guage in the viewfinder and a higher resolution sensor.

The level guage is pretty important to me - I use an E1 and for some reason I don't understand my shots frequently have a slightly out horizon. Nothing major and I can correct it easily in Lightroom. However, I shoot a lot of urban landscapes and I'm quite precise about what I include in the frame. That precision goes out of the window when you correct a wonky horizon in Lightroom as you lose some from the edges of the frame even if you only correct things by a very small amount.

The 12MP sensors is not critical. However, if I'm spending around a 1000 and I have a choice between a two year old 10 MP sensor or a newer 12 MP I'd want the later.

So unless there was a big price drop to clear the remaining stock as there was with the E1, I wouldn't consider a new E3 now.

So why don't I buy the E30? Because it's current price is too near what the E3 was a few months ago. I think that the E30 is a good camera. However, it doesn't have the E3 viewfinder nor is it weather sealed both of which are important to me. 800 is a lot to pay for a camera which is good but doesn't give me everything I want.

Am I the only one that things like this? I'd be interested to hear.
Hi Padgreen,

I think your reasoning is very sensible, considering your specific requirements and the type of photography you do.

However, I think that the E3, for photographers with slightly different priorities, still offers terrific features and performance with excellent value for money.

It really is a case of us each having our own individual priorities for camera features and we must base our choice on those, rather than other people's opinions - although an informed second opinion is always helpful.

On that basis I would say your plan to purchase a 620 as a stop gap is sound, provided the viewfinder meets your requirements. Even if it doesn't maintain its value as you hope, it would continue to serve as a useful back up to a future professional E sries body.

One thing is certain, we are now spoilt for choice in the E-System line up!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

My reasoning hasn't held up to actual scrunity of the cameras. Having read the responses to my initial post, particularly about the E30, I decided to spend a few hours this afternoon having a look at the E620, E30 and E3.

First up, this pretty much reconfirmed what I thought about the E3. It is the best of the bunch, it's weather sealed and the viewfinder is great. That said, my earlier reservations still apply.

I was very impressed with the E30. The viewfinder was very good and the camera felt good. The only thing I had against it really was the lack of weather sealing and, ironically given my earlier comments, I found the level to be a bit annoying. I suspect that may be lack of knowledge about how to use it though. In one shop I spent ages going through the menu's and couldn't find a way to turn it on. In another, the dealer helpfully got out the manual. However, then the viewfinder data display seemed to alternate between displaying the exposure data and displaying the level and I couldn't find a way to make it display the level when I wanted it too.

I then looked at the E620. It reminded me of my old OM1, except for the viewfinder, which was was too small for my purposes. That said, I thought the viewfinder was a big improvement on the E520, E420. I also thought the E620 was too small to use with a lens like the 14-54mm Mk1: in my hands I thought it was unbalanced with that attached. So I've pretty much ruled out the E620 from further consideration. That said, I still thought the E620 was a great camera especially if you wanted something small and light to use with the 25 mm pancake.

So now I'm not quite sure what to do. A second hand E3 is one possibility, providing I can get one at a good price. I'm also thinking about the E30, not as a stop gap but as an alternative and trying to decide how much I really need the E3's weather proofing - I don't shoot a lot in foul weather, but I do sometimes. So at the moment I'm not sure.

On a negative note though, one dealer said he was expecting a price increase from Olympus sometime soon.

Padgreen
Old 21st May 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:

E-3 body only can be had for <900 (PC world) they also have the 12-60mm for <600. I saw an E-3 body go on ebay for 900, crazy! second hand 12-60 for 600, equally crazy.
I got my E-3 body for a VERY(VERY!) good price considering it is only 3 months old, unmarked and about 1200 actuations. I could/would not justify spending more even, though it really is a fantastic piece of kit.
I do think though, that we put far more emphasis on extra gadgets and gismos on our cameras, than going out and actually using them.
I too, like you, have a problem with horizons, I don't think an electronic gadget is the answer though. It is not a new phenomena, people just learned to cope and adjust, nowadays we look for gadgets and throw money at the problem in the hope it will go away, I think they call it progress....