Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 17th June 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Best Colour -> B&W conversion process...?

Hi All

Asked elsewhere as well so apologies if you have already read this.

I have been asked by a client to convert all but a handful of approx 100 shots originally taken in colour, to black and white. Can I ask in your experience which is the best process to do this that results in the best quality black and white conversion?

I have both Lightroom and CS3, with a few presets in Lightroom (but I don't think much of these presets to be honest), but would be willing to purchase a low(ish) cost b&w conversion app if anyone would feel that this does a better job than either of the two I have.

Personally, I like the CS3 Image>Adjustments>Black and White function to be honest, and feels this does an excellent job of the conversion.

What do others here feel please...?

Ta

Old 17th June 2008
Chillimonster

Re: Best Colour -> B&W conversion process...?

I use a set of lightroom presets (WOW Preset pack if i remember correctly) and they have some nice B&W conversion presets in there with some nice contrasty ones too.

Will dig out a link shortly.

Chris
Old 17th June 2008
Chillimonster

Link

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=33
Old 17th June 2008
Chillimonster

Just found this site as well, and it give a visual representation of the preset before download. Not used any of these but will be looking into them later now that i have found them.

http://www.lightroompresets.com/

Chris
Old 17th June 2008
emirpprime

While talking Lightroom presets, 2 great sites are:
http://www.lightroomgalleries.com/index.php which has web gallery presets, including a very powerful one with paypal and google checkout integration.
and
http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/ which has tips and presets for both develop and print modules. (some really good presets here)

Anyway, back to the topic. I really like the B&W Old preset from Lightroompresets. Nothing will work straight off for every image, but I find it a good starting point.

Other than that, I would recommend (in Lightroom) coverting to greyscale, then using the tone curve to give deeper blacks, and some decent highlights. Get the first image right. Then paste those settings over all the others (or all the similar ones). Then once they are roughed out, you can refine them as necessary. This sort of technique should save a lot of time over doing each one in Photoshop, yet is still allow individual tweaking.

All the best,
Phil