Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 4th February 2011

Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,003 Posts
Liked 1,905 Times in 1,063 Posts
DPReview E5 Review is finally here.

And here it is http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse5/

I think, I hope
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Greytop (4th February 2011)
Old 4th February 2011

Liked 870 Times in 308 Posts
Re: DPReview E5 Review is finally here.

Thanks Ross, it doesn't make for a great read though.
It does seem like dpr have emphasised the negatives more than the positives and as a result it does have a slightly ho-hum feel to it.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 4th February 2011

Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,003 Posts
Liked 1,905 Times in 1,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Thanks Ross, it doesn't make for a great read though.
I does seem like dpr have emphasised the negatives more than the positives and as a result it does have a slightly ho-hum feel to it.
Yes, that was my impression too as I started to read it. This is one of the annoying things about certain magazine reviews too. It seems there is a requirement from someone that they don't paint Olympus too good & to make sure they highlight the negatives. In other words, a bias can quite often be obvious in these reviews. Having said that, it is still interesting seeing the comparison photos etc.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 4th February 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,397 Times in 2,086 Posts

I didn't really expect anything more or less. I've come to the conclusion that you really have to be an Olympus user to "get it" and appreciate the overall advantages of the system. Let's face it, if we're not attracting many new users to the E-System it's more likely because of the Olympus marketing enigma than questionable "independant" tests.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th February 2011

Liked 66 Times in 22 Posts

Interesting point about the marketing angle. Not sure if any of you read the Luminous Landscape site, but if you read the first 3 paragraphs of the page on the link below, maybe it will be illuminating....

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...d_report.shtml

Mike
Old 4th February 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,397 Times in 2,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag2000 View Post
Interesting point about the marketing angle. Not sure if any of you read the Luminous Landscape site, but if you read the first 3 paragraphs of the page on the link below, maybe it will be illuminating....

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...d_report.shtml

Mike
Ain't that true!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th February 2011

Liked 870 Times in 308 Posts

I agree, Phase One do an excellent job with their PR, after-sales and support.
I don't have any of their cameras/backs (!) but I do use Capture One Pro and I almost every week there is an interesting article or useful 'how to' for Capture One emailed through complete with links to video tutorials etc.
And on the odd occasion that I have contacted support I have been thoroughly impressed with their attitude and can do approach.

Yes they certainly do it right and I imagine they attract and hold on to a high percentage of their customers simply down to this excellent marketing and after-sales machine, never-mind the fact that their RAW development software is one of the very best.
Oly could certainly learn a thing or two from Phase One.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 4th February 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Im surprised they was so negative, the sample comparison shots speak for themselves and was the thing that persuaded myself to stay with Oly when I looked at the older samples from the e-5 preview.

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 4th February 2011
Kiwi Paul

It's a comparative review I guess, I've never used any of the Canikon equipment so I can't comment about how the E5 compares, all I know is the quality of the E5 (and E3) is fine by me for my purposes.
For that reason I generally don't read reviews often.

Paul
Old 4th February 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I wonder how many will read

The future for Zuiko Digital lens owners might not be a reflex camera (we've had strong hints that a common live view only FT / MFT platform lies ahead), but Four Thirds isn't going away. (my emphasis)

Overall the review recognises the 'strengths' that Olympus has concentrated on

Olympus promised that the E-5 would give excellent resolution, and it does. Considering its relatively modest pixel count,at ISO the E-5 is capable of describing an extraordinary amount of detail, both in JPEG and RAW files

Even in JPEG mode, all nine lines of our chart are accurately described by the E-5 up to approximately 2600Lph, which represents excellent performance

At its lowest ISO sensitivity settings the E-5 is capable of excellent results, and resolution is very high given the sensor's pixel count. At its best, the E-5 hold its own against cameras with considerably higher pixel counts, and as you can see here, at 100%, detail capture is very high indeed

The resolution of the E-5's sensor in ideal conditions is higher than we'd expect from a camera with this sort of pixel count and, viewed at 100%, the quality of some of our samples is simply breathtaking. Something that often gets overlooked is JPEG color - Olympus has traditionally been very strong in this area, and the E-5 is no exception. Outdoor shots from the E-5 taken at default settings have a 'pop' that we really like.

I think they are saying it will take very good photographs indeed.

Yes, there are some reservations in the review, Olympus has chosen to excel in a limited set of practical areas, but the overall conclusion is that this a good camera.

We tend to read the reviews ready to bristle whenever a less than glowing comment is made, but there is a lot of positive stuff there.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 4th February 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I didn't really expect anything more or less. I've come to the conclusion that you really have to be an Olympus user to "get it" and appreciate the overall advantages of the system. Let's face it, if we're not attracting many new users to the E-System it's more likely because of the Olympus marketing enigma than questionable "independant" tests.
That a understatement John and at the same time an enigma.

The E-5 is a dead end in the E-system, I think we can all accept this even us Oly lovers.

So why would any publication web or otherwise recommend a system that seems at a dead end, that would be a disservice to its readers.And hence the reason only us Olympus E users get it (and that band is going to get smaller) because no one in there right mind is going to buy into a DSLR system that is seemingly considered finished .

I mean even the advert on this site is mockery

"has the low down on the new flagship of the Olympus E-System"

A flag ship implies a fleet where are the other boats of the E-System, it would seem they have sunk without a trace.

Now I will continue to use and enjoy the Olympus equipment I have and at my age it will likely outlast me and if not I will replace it with something else.

Having said that I'm still a Oly fan, but like some I will not defend it to the death and in all good conscience there is no way I could recommend the E-system to anyone starting out, so why should I be suprised when a publication will not?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 4th February 2011
Makonde

I agree. I think the review is fair enough on the whole. The E-5 is a good camera, and I am very happy with mine (with the lenses), though it is overpriced. I couldn't recommend it with any conviction to anyone starting out or switching systems, because of Olympus' own position. Shame they are not going ahead with new sensors for the 4/3 system.

But then, at the moment I couldn't convincingly recommend any of the other existing systems either. If one has to take photographs, the Oly 4/3 system will do just fine for now. In two or three years' time, we'll see what new systems evolve.
Old 4th February 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post
I agree. I think the review is fair enough on the whole. The E-5 is a good camera, and I am very happy with mine (with the lenses), though it is overpriced. I couldn't recommend it with any conviction to anyone starting out or switching systems, because of Olympus' own position. Shame they are not going ahead with new sensors for the 4/3 system.

But then, at the moment I couldn't convincingly recommend any of the other existing systems either. If one has to take photographs, the Oly 4/3 system will do just fine for now. In two or three years' time, we'll see what new systems evolve.
Well said

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 4th February 2011
Kiwi Paul

I don't think the E5 is necessarily the last of a line, I think the next "E" system camera will be a mirrorless E system camera compatible with all current E lenses.
But anyway I don't really think about it, my options are to sell up now and change brands or to keep what I have and just enjoy it.
It's not imperative to move to the next updated model, if like me you enjoy photography and while appreciating the innovations and advanced technology that goes into new models also realize the futility of feeling obliged to up grade.
I feel reviews are sometimes a sales pitch, "You don't have the best so you need to move on" is the impression I'm left with often. It seems they are promoting technology rather than the pleasure of photography and making the most of what you have. I was lent an E1 for a couple of months about a year ago and when I look back to the photos I took with it I'm really pleased, it was an outdated camera lacking the performance of current cameras but the photos were (are) brilliant, you don't need the latest and greatest to take great photos, sometimes it's a better feeling to get a great photo with an older camera as that's down to the photographer!

Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nick Temple-Fry (5th February 2011)
Old 5th February 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post

It seems they are promoting technology rather than the pleasure of photography and making the most of what you have.

Paul
A very good point Paul, and a handfull of years ago photographers were making better photographs than most of us can hope to, using equipment whose specifications wouldn't even register on the bottom end of most current measuring scales (certainly with regard to iso/noise).

On Olympus timescales it'll be three years before we can expect a replacement for the E-5. That's a great period of time for us to develop our skills and for Olympus to drive the technology forward.

In the meantime, well the reviews say the E-5 takes jolly good photos, that's something to aspire to.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk