Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 11th May 2014

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts
They say… "Good things come to those who wait"

I knew I would most likely regret selling my OM3Ti and it wasn't long before I indeed was. I have considered getting another but the only really 'nice' examples I have seen are either in The USA or Japan and would cost about £1500.00 by the time VAT & Duty had been paid and that is just too much IMO.

So for some time I have also been considering an OM4Ti , which of course is basically the same camera except that it has an electronic shutter and auto exposure. I had the chance to buy one off a fellow forum member when I bought his em-1, the price was 'fair' but I still 'hankered' after a 3Ti so I eventually 'passed that one up'.

The problem with the 3Ti of course is its cost due to its rarity, and in the end decided that a 4Ti was most likely my best option. I regularly browse the best dealers sites and about two weeks ago Ffordes had a black 4Ti available in 'ex++' condition for £199.00 ….. is this the one ? Should I go for it? I decided to 'sleep on it' and make my mind up the next day.

The next day came and it had gone ….. such is life. Then on Thursday evening Ffords listed another, this time described as 'mint-' , I took a look at the images and decided "no more dithering" and 'checked out' there and then.

On Friday morning Royal Mail delivered the parcel, I managed to contain my enthusiasm for a few more hours and took the parcel home with me to open it then. Upon opening it was clear this 'WAS NOT' a mint- camera, it was "UNUSED & NEW"

Yes that's right, NEW, well IMO anyway. THe base still had its plastic protector on it, the film gate still had the 'warning card' over the shutter, no signs of use anywhere. Surely I'm dreaming, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet ? Well I wasn't and yes tomorrow had arrived, this was/is very much a pristine example of an OM4Ti and I have it in my hands.

I have regularly dealt with Ffordes since 1992 and have always had great service and been delighted but this OM4Ti surpasses every deal before it and for £199.00 is simply one of those 'once in a blue moon' opportunities

However I now have a dilemma, I wanted a 'nice' 4Ti to 'use' with my trinity of F2 Zuiko's but this one is so pristine I believe it will wiser to put it in my safe for it will surely appreciate in value as the years pass if I keep it in this condition. "Cameras are meant to be used", I'm a firm believer in that, my 'heart' wants to put film through it, my 'head' says "send it to Luton Cameras for a CLA then put it in the safe, take it out every other month to fire the shutter then put it back again".

While I decide I shall handle it with kid gloves. I feel very fortunate to have obtained such a pristine example and hope you don't mind me sharing my obvious enthusiasm with you. What do you think of it ?

Regards, Simon

and with my 'trinity' of F2 Zuiko's

Last edited by Simon Bee; 11th May 2014 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Smaller image file sizes uploaded
Old 11th May 2014

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts
Re: They say… "Good things come to those who wait"

WOW what a find, I think like you I couldn't bear to use it as it will increase in value in that condition, but can you afford another one. A camera should be used but...........
Old 11th May 2014

Thanked 1,147 Times in 1,022 Posts
Liked 1,227 Times in 798 Posts

A lucky break or as you say everything comes to he who waits. Now you have a delemia.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 11th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
A camera should be used but...........

Quite Peter,

Regards, Simon
Old 11th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Now you have a delemia.
Indeed I do Ed,

Regards, Simon
Old 11th May 2014

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

Strange, the champagne colour doesn't come through on this BlackBerry screen.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 11th May 2014

Liked 147 Times in 73 Posts

I see you have the 100mm f2, Simon. I believe you also had an 85mm f2. Do you now have both or did you sell the 85mm along with the OM3?

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Old 12th May 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,437 Posts
Liked 4,409 Times in 2,092 Posts

You lucky devil. Buy another for £199 and you've still got an absolute bargain! My all time favourite 35mm manual focus SLR.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 12th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadus View Post
I see you have the 100mm f2, Simon. I believe you also had an 85mm f2. Do you now have both or did you sell the 85mm along with the OM3?

Hi Roger,

You are right on both counts, I did indeed once have a 85mm F2 and I did sell it when I sold the OM3Ti , both silly decisions

When I spotted this 4Ti Ffordes had also just listed a very late S/No. 85 F2 which was again described as "Mint-" and boxed. Once again it looked like new to me and was ( IMO ) a very good price at just £99.00

As I have the 100 F2 I decided that I wouldn't bother going for it, Friday it was gone, no surprise there I guess. "IN for a penny - in for a pound" comes to mind and with hindsight I should have ordered it along with the 4Ti , after all if I decided I didn't want it I could have sold it to you for the £99.00 so sorry for my indecision I'll keep an eye open for another and let you know, or if another is that cheap again I'll just get it to 'secure it' and then let you know you can have it for that price .

Cheers, Simon
Old 12th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
You lucky devil. Buy another for £199 and you've still got an absolute bargain! My all time favourite 35mm manual focus SLR.
Hi John,

Yes indeed I am, it is not every day you get a find like this. A case of being in the right place at the right time I guess and as the title …. good things come to those who wait.

It is also one of my favourite M/F 35mm cameras, along with the Nikon FM3a and Contax S2. I think I will pack this one off to the darkness of my safe, a shame as it should be used but it's pristine condition tells me a wiser move would be to leave it untouched I will have to get a 'user' version because I want to 'use' one with my F2 Zuiko's .

Cheers, Simon
Old 12th May 2014

Liked 147 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Hi Roger,

You are right on both counts, I did indeed once have a 85mm F2 and I did sell it when I sold the OM3Ti , both silly decisions

When I spotted this 4Ti Ffordes had also just listed a very late S/No. 85 F2 which was again described as "Mint-" and boxed. Once again it looked like new to me and was ( IMO ) a very good price at just £99.00

As I have the 100 F2 I decided that I wouldn't bother going for it, Friday it was gone, no surprise there I guess. "IN for a penny - in for a pound" comes to mind and with hindsight I should have ordered it along with the 4Ti , after all if I decided I didn't want it I could have sold it to you for the £99.00 so sorry for my indecision I'll keep an eye open for another and let you know, or if another is that cheap again I'll just get it to 'secure it' and then let you know you can have it for that price .
I was hoping you might still have it and be prepared to sell it. Ah well, never mind. I though I spent a lot of time scouring Ffordes web site, but obviously not enough.

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Old 12th May 2014

Thanked 1,467 Times in 1,395 Posts
Liked 1,371 Times in 875 Posts

A good looking camear and the lenses look in good nick as well.
Old 12th May 2014

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Go on use it...you know you want to!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 12th May 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

It's a beauty! I would use it - but sparingly!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 12th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
A good looking camear and the lenses look in good nick as well.

Thanks, the lenses are indeed in very nice condition, I have owned the 50mm for some time but both the 28 & 100 are fairly recent purchase having been bought earlier this year. The 100mm is very close to new condition, the 28 & 50 show signs of use but optically are very clean.

Regards, Simon