Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 19th December 2018

Liked 1,282 Times in 304 Posts
Re: Nottingham Knockers: A Threat to You at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickLeon View Post
Horrible tale, glad that you got through it OK. Something is wrong with police priorities these days - protecting people from this sort of thing should me near the top of the list.
I think you should have said: Something is wrong with policing these days.

You would be correct as the number of police officers in England and Wales has fallen by over 20,000 between March 2010 and March 2018.

Between dealing with individuals who go missing on a regular basis and having to act in lieu of a decent mental health care system, the few Police officers we have are stretched beyond belief.

Having recently spoken with serving Police officers, they would dearly love to be out patrolling and dealing with matters such as Harold encountered however, when they find themselves spending a full shift on constant watch over an individual with mental health issues, that leaves one less officer on the ground every time.

Dave
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 2,233 Times in 1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickLeon View Post
Horrible tale, glad that you got through it OK. Something is wrong with police priorities these days - protecting people from this sort of thing should me near the top of the list.
Issuing speeding tickets raises more revenue.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
TimP (20th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Issuing speeding tickets raises more revenue.
And potentially saves lives.

Dave
Old 19th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
And potentially saves lives.

Dave
Potentially.

There are far more dangerous driving offences which are rarely prosecuted because it is difficult to harvest them on an industrial scale.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
TimP (20th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Quote:
Potentially.

There are far more dangerous driving offences which are rarely prosecuted because it is difficult to harvest them on an industrial scale.
Agreed however, those who man the static vans equipped with speed cameras are civilians, not Police officers.

Traffic officers do stop people who are speeding but usually give some leeway unless in a restricted zone.

I regularly see the Police being criticised for dealing with traffic offences however, while I agree that there are more serious crimes, traffic Police usually deal with traffic offences, that's their job.

As I understand it, if you're insured, taxed, have a current MOT where required, stick to the speed limit, don't drink or take drugs while driving and drive as required by the law, it's unlikely you would receive a ticket for a traffic offence.

Dave
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 1,554 Times in 996 Posts

I'm starting to feel that if the police won't or can't protect to public, then the public ought to be allowed to protect themselves!

Jim
The Following Users Liked This Post:
DavyG (20th December 2018), Naughty Nigel (20th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Quote:
Agreed however, those who man the static vans equipped with speed cameras are civilians, not Police officers.

Traffic officers do stop people who are speeding but usually give some leeway unless in a restricted zone.

I regularly see the Police being criticised for dealing with traffic offences however, while I agree that there are more serious crimes, traffic Police usually deal with traffic offences, that's their job.

As I understand it, if you're insured, taxed, have a current MOT where required, stick to the speed limit, don't drink or take drugs while driving and drive as required by the law, it's unlikely you would receive a ticket for a traffic offence.

Dave
Fair comment, but excess speed is about the only 'offence' not guaranteed to cause an accident at some point. It all comes down to the skill and ability of the driver.

I have no issue with speed limits in built up areas; they are there for a good reason. But the fixed national speed limits on main roads and motorways serve little purpose in unfavourable weather conditions, and hinder drivers in good conditions when better progress could be made.

My gripe with the current inflexible enforcement of motorway speed limits in particular is that the majority of drivers are now terrified to drive at 71 or 72 MPH, (even though their true speed may be less than 65 MPH). This in turn results in dangerous 'bunching', frustration and aggressive undertaking, which is far more likely to result in a collision than the overtakers travelling at an indicated 80 MPH (=72 ~ 74 MPH true speed) for half a mile so that they can break up the bunch and get back into lane one or two.

The Spanish have a law which allows an extra 10 KM/Hr (IIRC) for overtakes, which seems a very sensible idea to me. The less time spent in the wrong lane, or on the wrong side of the road the better.

The continentals also have higher motorway speed limits better suited to modern vehicles than those of 1967 when the present 70 MPH limit was introduced.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (20th December 2018), Otto (19th December 2018)
Old 19th December 2018

Quote:
Fair comment, but excess speed is about the only 'offence' not guaranteed to cause an accident at some point. It all comes down to the skill and ability of the driver.

I have no issue with speed limits in built up areas; they are there for a good reason. But the fixed national speed limits on main roads and motorways serve little purpose in unfavourable weather conditions, and hinder drivers in good conditions when better progress could be made.

My gripe with the current inflexible enforcement of motorway speed limits in particular is that the majority of drivers are now terrified to drive at 71 or 72 MPH, (even though their true speed may be less than 65 MPH). This in turn results in dangerous 'bunching', frustration and aggressive undertaking, which is far more likely to result in a collision than the overtakers travelling at an indicated 80 MPH (=72 ~ 74 MPH true speed) for half a mile so that they can break up the bunch and get back into lane one or two.

The Spanish have a law which allows an extra 10 KM/Hr (IIRC) for overtakes, which seems a very sensible idea to me. The less time spent in the wrong lane, or on the wrong side of the road the better.

The continentals also have higher motorway speed limits better suited to modern vehicles than those of 1967 when the present 70 MPH limit was introduced.
Have you been given a speeding fine/points lately Nigel?

Dave
Old 19th December 2018

Liked 3,173 Times in 1,475 Posts

As sAid sorry to hear of the incident, and very pleased you have come through it. Just hope the shock of it does not linger too long...mark j

My Flickr
Old 20th December 2018

Quote:

Dave
Not since 1987 touch wood.

However, my wife received a ticket for driving at 35 MPH in a temporary 30 MPH limit on a three-lane motorway which was clearly a revenue generating exercise. The problem was that the car was being MOT'd at the time but the police were not interested in that fact even though the evidence was overwhelming. Instead they threatened her with a £1,000 fine and six points if she didn't pay up (£60) and hand over her licence for three points.

We even went to the office where the films were kept and viewed the exposures. The weather was very poor at the time (it was mid December) but all three exposures clearly showed the driver and a passenger wearing Evans Halshaw overalls, although their faces could not be identified. The driver was also wearing a red and white woolly hat (Middlesbrough colours). My wife is a Geordie so that was a totally unforgivable insult!

Crucially, the time was 10.20 am, more than an hour and a half after we had dropped the car off for its service and MOT.

It is a long story but the police really didn't gave a ***** who was driving. They took the attitude that we were responsible for the car at all times, even though the law requires that you hand your car over for an annual MOT test have no control or say over who drives it. Frankly it was all about the money and the stats, which makes a total nonsense of the occasional high-profile cases in which MP's are sent to prison for "perverting the course of justice" over such matters.

Interestingly, the Chief Constable of the same force (Cleveland) had had his own speeding charge dropped a few weeks previously because (in his own words) 'he couldn't remember who was driving the car at the time'.

Apparently this didn't set a precedent for members of the public who pay the Chief Constable's salary.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 20th December 2018

Quote:

Dave
Actually I should clarify.

I was awarded six points at Newbury Magistrates Court for speeding on the southbound A34 late one night. The road was deserted at the time apart from me and an unmarked police car. I had seen a car approaching at high speed from behind and thought to myself 'he deserves to get his collar felt for driving that that speed'. Then it lit up blue, prompting one of those 'awshit' moments.

I already had three points for a minor speeding offence so I had to be ultra careful for the next two years.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 20th December 2018

Liked 1,227 Times in 697 Posts

Iím sorry to hear of your appalling experience, Harold. I hope you feel better soon: Iím sure any of us here would be knocked sideways by something like that.

I opened the door to what turned out to be one of these a couple of years ago. He was persistent and argumentative, but did scarper immediately I put my phone to my ear having said I was calling the police. I might have been visually assisted by the mole wrench that happened to be in my hand as I opened the door (I was in the middle of some DIY plumbing in the hall).

You can get some very effective and not too expensive video monitoring systems these days that can be used inside and/or outside, and weíre probably going to get one for the front garden & path. Different systems suit different peopleís layouts, but even a dummy camera would enable you to point out they were being recorded. Whatever you go for has to be mounted out of reach so it canít be inactivated, and itís much more difficult if your front door opens directly on to the road in a town since you can only film your own property.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 20th December 2018

Liked 3,000 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Iím sorry to hear of your appalling experience, Harold. I hope you feel better soon: Iím sure any of us here would be knocked sideways by something like that.

I opened the door to what turned out to be one of these a couple of years ago. He was persistent and argumentative, but did scarper immediately I put my phone to my ear having said I was calling the police. I might have been visually assisted by the mole wrench that happened to be in my hand as I opened the door (I was in the middle of some DIY plumbing in the hall).

You can get some very effective and not too expensive video monitoring systems these days that can be used inside and/or outside, and weíre probably going to get one for the front garden & path. Different systems suit different peopleís layouts, but even a dummy camera would enable you to point out they were being recorded. Whatever you go for has to be mounted out of reach so it canít be inactivated, and itís much more difficult if your front door opens directly on to the road in a town since you can only film your own property.
Mark,

Thanks for your good wishes but, apart from being very angry, I was unaffected by it.

It was just unfortunate that we were expecting our adult son home. (He returned when the police were here). The porch light was on for him, otherwise nextdoor's security light would have come on. When I saw the shape through the obscure glass of the door, I thought our son was struggling with his keys, possibly due to holding a huge present for me. So I was off-guard for a second or two. (Double disappointment).

Had the doorbell rung a couple of seconds later, I would have held the beer glass I had been reaching for in my hand, giving me more options!

Harold
Jax (20th December 2018)
Old 20th December 2018

Liked 1,554 Times in 996 Posts

The police may maintain that the ubiquity of CCTV cameras is a deterrence to criminals, but all they have to do is to put their hoods up and they're anonymous and can commit their crimes in broad daylight with impunity. They don't even need lookouts anymore - who would they be looking out for? The possibility of a policeman on patrol appearing round the corner and fingering their collar with a "You're nicked, my beauty!" is a far greater deterrence than CCTV cameras!

Jim
Naughty Nigel (20th December 2018)
Old 20th December 2018

Liked 3,000 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
The police may maintain that the ubiquity of CCTV cameras is a deterrence to criminals, but all they have to do is to put their hoods up and they're anonymous and can commit their crimes in broad daylight with impunity. They don't even need lookouts anymore - who would they be looking out for? The possibility of a policeman on patrol appearing round the corner and fingering their collar with a "You're nicked, my beauty!" is a far greater deterrence than CCTV cameras!
Yes, this one had his hood up but I was able to describe him.

I can't remember when I last saw a patrol car in our road without its blue lights on. That is, apart from the occasional "mother's meeting" gathering at speed traps where they are parked.

Harold