Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 21st January 2008
smartbox

New Member from the USA.

I am glad to see another active Olympus/Four-Thirds forum.

My first Digital cameras where the Olympus C-2100 or the UZI and the E-100RS. I loved both cameras. I then wanted to migrate to the DSLR world but at the time Olympus didn't have any options other than the E-10/20. So I made the move to Canon and the D60.

I have to say that I was never really happy with the Canon and found most of their good equipment way over priced. So about two months ago I began the search of a different platform and found Olympus very appealing. Long story short I purchased an E-1 about two weeks ago and a 14-54. I plan to add a good macro, flash and long zoom in the near future. So far I am very happy with my new setup.

I look forward to the future collaborations among the fellow members of the Olympus UK E-System User Group.

Thanks for allowing us Yanks to join in.

Smartbox.
Old 21st January 2008
E-P1 fan

Re: New Member from the USA.

Welcome and hands across the sea. I'm an E-1 user too and adore mine. Lookm forward to seeing your pics in the gallery and getting the view from the other side of the pond - in an election year too
Old 21st January 2008

Liked 709 Times in 252 Posts

smartbox -

Welcome.

Your name is rather apt as you purchased one.

We are a friendly bunch - enjoy your time here.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 21st January 2008

Liked 1,570 Times in 1,004 Posts

Yeah, well - you're welcome just so long as you don't chuck any more of our tea in the sea!
;^)

Jim
Old 22nd January 2008
smartbox

Thanks E-1 fan. Are you new to Olympus or just recently purchased an E-1? If not what other camera(s) do you own and how do they compare to the E-1?

I am still learning the camera so my photos are not worthy of posting at the moment. I must say that I am having a blast, I just love the feel of the camera.
Old 22nd January 2008
smartbox

Hey Barr1e,

Well you know .

I look forward to learning and sharing my experiences with fellow Olympus nuts. I am always so grateful that so many people are willing to share their knowledge on these forums. It makes me wonder how the likes of Ansel Adams was able to master the art of taking photographs in a time when access to information was vastly different that what we have at our disposal today.
Old 22nd January 2008
smartbox

Jim,

Well you know ornery us Yanks can be. I am a teaoholic so I wouldn't think of such a thing!
Old 22nd January 2008
E-P1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartbox View Post
Thanks E-1 fan. Are you new to Olympus or just recently purchased an E-1? If not what other camera(s) do you own and how do they compare to the E-1?

I am still learning the camera so my photos are not worthy of posting at the moment. I must say that I am having a blast, I just love the feel of the camera.
Hi Smartbox - had my E-1 for about a year I suppose but with one thing and another haven't really been able to give the time to it that I would have liked.

Don't be too shy about posting pics in the gallery - this is mostly an amateur forum I think and I've found that even those with a lot of experience are usually kind and constructive in their criticism. There are some really good snappers on here though - check out the gallery. So be brave and post up.

What I sometimes find a bit intimidating is when you see the gear some people have. I've only got my trusty E-1 which I love, the 35mm Macro lens, the kit 40 - 150mm and the bottom of the range FL-36 flashgun so just minimal gear for me. I'd like some better lenses and LOVE a ring flash to do proper macro but then hey - I'd like a Hassleblad too

I do actually prefer film to digital (despite the convenience and speed of digital) and what actually excited me more was to take a roll of black and white film, shoot it, process it and finally print it - magical. I guess theres many digital photographers who have never experienced that great feeling!

The E-1 is my first dslr but I've been an Olympus fan for many years owning OM series slrs, Pens and Trips galore.

As to the E-1 itself - its a fantastic bit of kit ergonomically. My only beef (many others have mentioned it too) is the softness of the image you get (certainly when using cheap lenses). I would actually prefer to get pin sharp images when that's appropriate and I do struggle a bit to do that with my gear. The colours the E-1 can get though are magical - really unique. I love the dust system too having had a bridge cameras junked because of it.

Looking forward to seeing images of where you are.
Old 22nd January 2008
Scapula Memory

Welcome Smartbox,

My history with the E1 is very similar to E1 fans history in as much as the time I have had the camera and never get enough time to use it. It can seem overwhelming at first but it is indeed a very capable picture taking machine and well worth the effort. To hold and use is pretty fantastic, especially if you add the grip.

As others say pictures can be soft, but I think this is the way it is supposed to be with this type of camera. Shoot raw for maximum output. Definately post pictures because as E1 fan mentions most on here are amatuers with full time jobs, kids, etc and the input from others here is really usefull and always constructive.

Hang around the lounge for politically incorrect jokes plus lively well informed debates where regulars here often solve the worlds problems with just a few well chosen sentences. Just dont mention the weather!

regards

John
Old 22nd January 2008
PeterD

Welcome Smartbox,

Its always a pleasure to welcome new members. I am sorry I didn't welcome you earlier but I my time here as been severly limited of late.

As others have said, please do feel you do not need to become an expert before showing off your images. People here try to give helpful advice without trashing submissions. The purpose is to help each other grow and improve our skills.
For a taster, have look at Foto Fair forum. This will give you a feel for past submissions/comments.

All the best

PeterD

Last edited by PeterD; 22nd January 2008 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Error in statement, para 2 - Sorry
Old 22nd January 2008

Liked 871 Times in 309 Posts

Hi Smartbox,

Welcome. I'm new here too, having only popped my head around the door last week
Its a great forum.

Cheers

Huw
Old 22nd January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Smartbox,
welcome to this forum! We are frowing quickly these days... It's always interesting to have some more international members as well as local people in here. Why don't you join someof us and post a nice summer pic from your country (In the "Looking for perfection" forum). That will give you a good taste how helpful the folks are in here!

Best Regards

Frank