Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 17th June 2014

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
Re: E-M1 mystery noise (and battery life) issue

My 12-40 has no wobble, everything is nice and smooth and tight.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (18th June 2014)
Old 17th June 2014

Liked 1,325 Times in 625 Posts

I would guess there is max 2 - 3mm rock at full extension (probably less), holding the body and the lens hood in either hand I can both feel a "click" as it rocks and herar the noise as it moves.

No more than I would expect though, from my experience you can't have an "engineering fit" (ie: truly zero movement) with an extending lens with weather and dust seals in a usable lens. I suspect we all have different perceptions of what is "acceptable" movement with these types of lenses

(same as the debate about how tight or otherwise the lens coupling to the body is / should be, what's too tight for some is just right for others )

Optically there is no sign of any effect on image quality, that I can see)
Old 18th June 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
I would guess there is max 2 - 3mm rock at full extension (probably less), holding the body and the lens hood in either hand I can both feel a "click" as it rocks and herar the noise as it moves.

No more than I would expect though, from my experience you can't have an "engineering fit" (ie: truly zero movement) with an extending lens with weather and dust seals in a usable lens. I suspect we all have different perceptions of what is "acceptable" movement with these types of lenses

(same as the debate about how tight or otherwise the lens coupling to the body is / should be, what's too tight for some is just right for others )

Optically there is no sign of any effect on image quality, that I can see)
Thanks - that's reassuring. I would say mine has much less wobble than 2-3mm. It's probably < 1mm. And optically, I cannot detect any flaw with the lens whatsoever; it is excellent.

I have to say though, it is overpriced imho. My Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS is optically just as good, mechanically better (smoother zoom, no wobble), has inbuilt IS, bigger (more expensive) glass in it and is available for £300 less than the Olympus lens. That makes the Oly appear pretty poor value I would suggest. £500 to £600 would be a fairer price point for the Olympus lens, imho.
Crazy Dave (18th June 2014)
Old 18th June 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Well, there's a known major problem with the Canon lens. It won't work on an Olympus.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (18th June 2014), Simon (18th June 2014)
Old 18th June 2014

Liked 1,325 Times in 625 Posts

interesting observation on the 17-55 f2.8 EF-S, mine had a similar "wobble and click" but I'm guessing that as its a larger diameter it wasn't as apparent as it may be in the Oly 12-40 (also as the system is new to you, if you are anything like me with new kit, you will be super-sensitive to possible problems?

As to the optics, the 17-55 was good but I think my copy of the 12-40 is better and as Stephen pointed out, the 17-55 don't fit the Oly EM bodies

on the pricing, don't forget the 17-55 is now an "old" lens and the price has dropped significantly (around £640) from memory, when I got mine as a new, hot off the press design it was around £800. (Smaller doesn't necessarily mean cheaper with technology )

I should enjoy what you have now and stop looking back (not easy I know from my own experience) otherwise you may end up getting rid of you Olympus get and going back to being a dedicated shooter of canons
Old 19th June 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yes, I will try and put the (very annoying) "wobble" to the back of my mind. The optical performance of the lens is really ridiculously good. And combined with the similarly ridiculously good performance of the EM1, the combination is really off-the-scale good.

I was driving home today when I saw a field of poppies, so I stopped to take a few snaps. Aperture priority, no exposure comp, just snaps. Honestly the jpegs, straight out of the camera, are so sharp, so perfectly exposed and in focus, it's quite breathtaking.
brian1208 (20th June 2014)
Old 19th January 2017

Liked 326 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I have recorded the sounds using my (Olympus :-) voice recorder held against the underside. IT clearly demonstrates what I am describing but unfortunately I can't upload an MP3 file here. Happy to e-mail it though if anyone interested in giving me their thoughts.

Angus
@Angus sorry to revive an old thread but I've just bought an EM1 and have something that sounds similar to your second noise, kind of like the IBIS but coarser and a bit like static from an old radio. The dropbox link to the other's person's recorded sound isn't working anymore and I was wondering if you still have your old recording so that I can compare it to the noise I'm getting please. Bit of a longshot I know

Cheers

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com