Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 29th March 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Panorama - River Walk

Hi All

After seeing some of Steve's recent superb panoramas from Scotland (and they really are superb), it gave me the incentive to try some panorama shots out for myself. Also, I hope by posting, as one can see they are nowhere near the standard of Steve's shots, that people have a go themselves and don't worry if they are not as good as others on here. I know this image isn't as good - technically, nor content wise; but heck... we're all learning eh! Steve's shots inspired me to have a go myself - thanks Steve.

Would love your comments on this one. It is a collection of 6 images, stitched together using the Photomerge feature of CS3, taken this morning at my local walking spot 100yds from the house. I spotted the weather forecast yesterday which suggested it was going to piddle down all day today, then when I sat in my conservatory this morning the sun was blazing through and I though it too good an opportunity to miss. So I donned the coat, grabbed the E-3, 70-300mm and 11-22mm and headed out. These shots were taken with the 11-22mm.

Old 29th March 2008

Liked 875 Times in 400 Posts
Re: Panorama - River Walk

John

It looks nice but it is a bit small. Which is a pity.

As a thought - can you see if it is possible to have a different way of dealing with panoramas. I think the system stops you putting in wider stuff than 800. With a widescreen monitor I could see larger images easily but I may be out of line, but even without widescreen scrolling for panoramas would not be a hassle.

Perhaps it is me but with my screen set up at 1920x1200 I see a nice sharp small image. Yes I appreciate the Internet was build with 800x600 and DOS as the default but.... are we missing a trick.

Peter
Old 29th March 2008

Give me 10 mins and I shall recreate that one in larger size. The 800px (or thereabouts) is always due to my auto actions in Photoshop.

Old 29th March 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Give me 10 mins and I shall recreate that one in larger size. The 800px (or thereabouts) is always due to my auto actions in Photoshop.
I may be wrong but I thought the system downscaled automatically. We'll see.

Peter
Old 29th March 2008

Here you go... 1200px on widest side

Last edited by theMusicMan; 30th March 2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 29th March 2008

Liked 48 Times in 11 Posts

Hi John

I like it you did really well not to get any lens flare, something I struggle with especially using ND grad filters . I like the way you have the path on the left running straight.
I find it very tempting to use my 11-22 towards the 11 end to get more vertical height in the pano. The downside is the way the wide angle distorts the pano. You have to be really careful what section of the scene is going to be closest to you as you shoot, as it will distort and make it look like there is a bend in your photo.
I actually got better results with my 14-54(less distortion).just not as sharp.
John I would have liked to see a slightly bigger image so more detail is visible.
How did you get on with stitching using PS. I kinda gave up on PS some time ago and went over to autopano.
Good image
Steve

Edit. sorry see you put a bigger one up whilst I was typing.

Last edited by Steve Roughley; 29th March 2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: oops
Old 29th March 2008

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the feedback. Panoramas is now an area I am becoming more interested in exploring - I just don't get as much opportunity to try my hand it this type of shot and I was fortunate this morning that earlier on the sun was shining brightly and I have a nice walk just yards from my front door.

I am delighted you spotted the 'vertical path' - as this is what I tried to do. I didn't get it quite right as the path is not quite vertical, but I am pleased that the result is as it is. I did use the 11-22mm at 11mm for this sequence of shots, but I had the lens hood on so probably this helped in reducing any flare. I must get myself a ND filter and a polarising filter - which are all new to me to be honest as the only filters I own are the skylight filters attached to protect the lenses...!!

I agree with your comment about being careful about what section of the scene is closest to me... I didn't do so well there eh!! There's no bend in the river here, but the image looks as though there is! Still, that's exactly the reason I post my images, to look for valued constructive feedback which will help me to take better pictures next time.

Re the stitching - I actually used the PhotoMerge feature in CS3, which I find absolutely superb and such a dream to use. It's so easy to create these panoramas from any number of images.

Once again, thanks Steve for your feedback, I'll continue to look at your superb shots for inspiration.

Old 29th March 2008

John

You succeeded, and it is much nicer.

The first take is of the strong left hand draw to the horizon following the converging path, river and other lines. But then you see the more meandering lines on the right hand side. At that point my brain wants to work out what is going on.

A bit like HDR I find my brain wants to understand why it isn't like normal and this puzzlement is all part of the experience.

I must say that these are going to be lovely as big printed images where you can immerse yourself in the scene. I can see this being especially engaging with a large amount of wildlife and flora in a scene.

For myself I could imagine a number of different opportunities to try the function out. Say when I find a big clump of brambles in flower covered in butterflies (can you do macro panos). I may need some help with the technicals as it is hidden bit of CS3 to me at the moment.

nice work

peter
Old 29th March 2008

Liked 1,004 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Here you go... 1200px on widest side

John

Thats very nice,something else I must try along with HDR,tone mapping etc,etc,etc.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr