Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 730 Times in 470 Posts
Re: Half ar-ed email from Olympus

I remember the lorem ipsum stuff from the early 1980s when desktop publishing was just starting to appear. The Aldus PageMaker user manual was full of it!
The Following User Liked This Post:
TimP (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 513 Times in 338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I remember the lorem ipsum stuff from the early 1980s when desktop publishing was just starting to appear. The Aldus PageMaker user manual was full of it!
THATS where I remember seeing a lot of it! Now, where did I put my copy on 5.25in floppies?
Otto (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I cut my DTP teeth on PageMaker. I believe it eventually got bought out by Adobe. It was silly money at the time so for home use I bought Serif PagePlus v1.0 which was an attempt to do PageMaker on a budget. It was buggy as hell but it worked and by v3.0 it was quite a useable DTP solution. I still use version X7 although I don't need DTP much these days. I still have my v1.0 floppies and manual, still in the box, but I doubt it works on Windows 10!

Serif of course will be better known here for Affinity Photo, carrying on their tradition for budget alternatives to the heavweights which are generally just as good for most things. Sadly the upcoming Affinity Publisher cannot open PagePlus files which I think is a bad mistake on Serif's part. There are good reasons for that apparently but I'm sure it will cost them sales of Publisher.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 513 Times in 338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I cut my DTP teeth on PageMaker. I believe it eventually got bought out by Adobe. It was silly money at the time so for home use I bought Serif PagePlus v1.0 which was an attempt to do PageMaker on a budget. It was buggy as hell but it worked and by v3.0 it was quite a useable DTP solution. I still use version X7 although I don't need DTP much these days. I still have my v1.0 floppies and manual, still in the box, but I doubt it works on Windows 10!

Serif of course will be better known here for Affinity Photo, carrying on their tradition for budget alternatives to the heavweights which are generally just as good for most things. Sadly the upcoming Affinity Publisher cannot open PagePlus files which I think is a bad mistake on Serif's part. There are good reasons for that apparently but I'm sure it will cost them sales of Publisher.
You’re right, it was bought by Adobe then quietly put to death.

I’ve not seen anything that can open a native Pagemaker file (.pm3?) either.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior

Liked 111 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
You’re right, it was bought by Adobe then quietly put to death.
I also cut my teeth on Aldus PageMaker which became Adobe inDesign, which, if you were used to PageMaker, was quite similar.

Visit my website http://dryplaid.zenfolio.com/

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight••• Lumix: G9 | LX100 ••• Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 ••• Leica: 100-400 | 12-60••• Samyang: 7.5 fisheye ••• Tamron: 14-150 •
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Affinity Publisher is supposed to be to InDesign what Affinity Photo is to Photoshop, and Affinity Designer is to Adobe Illustrator (i.e. a vector graphics editor).

I think InDesign is similar to PageMaker because it used to be PageMaker!

Edit: Correction - it used to be Adobe PageMaker, now discontinued.
Shaw (4 Weeks Ago)