Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 13th December 2008
Makonde

11th E-Group Challenge: RESULTS !!!!

Thanks to all entrants and to those who voted in the 11th Challenge: "The Pub." Several appealing entries. 28 voters.

Ahead of 'A Welcome Sight,' 'Passing Trade,' and 'Outside Looking In' which collected 13, 12 and 11 points respectively....:

- in third place is #2: 'The Pub' with 18 points. A pleasing photo from Andym.

- in second place is #4 'Drink up' with 24 points. An ingenious and engaging second curtain flash by Susan.

- in first place is #8: My Golden Pint with 50 points. That one is mine <blushes> and I thank those who voted for it - appreciated.

My own first choice was Susan's. Coming second in this challenge together with strong performances earlier in the year puts our creative Susan in pole position for Olympus' goodie bag I do believe - John will no doubt produce updated league tables! One challenge to go...

Lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place but now I have to run the next challenge too, so we get twelve in all before Christmas. Groan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the three winners. I like it when originators say a few words about their own photo - and I am looking forward to what Susan might say about hers - so I have tried to start the ball rolling.

First: My Golden Pint (Makonde):

Originator's note:
Usual ideas about 'essence of pub' & spent a Happy Hour doing some exploratory shots: (here). Of those, the 'Welcome' entrance to one pub and the warming glow of two pint glasses seemed the most likely choices, but light levels were too low to get the desired clear results and depth of field handheld. Two days later I returned with a tripod and set up the shot at the bar, with willing help from a barmaid who did not want her face in the photo! I was unable to recreate the great red reflections in the beer - different time of day and light levels. But one of the resulting two or three shots of the beer pumps seemed acceptable with the right depth of field, tones and perspective, and required minimal attention. I liked the golden glow overall, and the reflections. No flash used - I prefer available light if possible.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Second: Drink up…! (Susan)

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Third: The Pub (Andym):

Old 13th December 2008
Makonde

Re: 11th E-Group Challenge: RESULTS !!!!

Now come on Susan, tell us about yours! I've never tried second curtain flash in practice, and it seems to have worked very well - an inspired idea. How did you set it up exactly?
Old 13th December 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

WOW, superb work here Keith in getting the results posted so quickly, and also in winning the challenge with a quite exceptional image (some of your other happy hour shots could also have won too).

The new job meant I didn't have time to enter this last challenge, but I will certainly try for the next one.

Congrats to all who participated - let's make the next one a huge success eh!

Old 13th December 2008
tlove

Well done Makonde

Your round, I think !
Old 13th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well done Andy & Makonde

Thanks to those who voted for my shot - Drink Up

Notes:
Having never used second curtain flash, and with a spangly new flash gun to play with I thought I'd give it a try. I was telling Garrie on Saturday morning how I had the idea of the shot I wanted to get and he told me about second curtain flash, which I hadn't heard of up until he told me about it (I'm still on a very steep learning curve)!
I was meeting my friend in Glasgow, who was a willing subject to help me.
Luckily the small pub we were in had two enclosed booths and we were able to grab one of them.
There was just enough room between the table and bench to set up my tripod, I set the flash gun to bounce off the ceiling (which was pretty high) and then set the camera flash mode. I was unsure how long it would take between the flashes, and believe it or not this was the first shot I took.
The lighting in the booth was quite dull, with the dark cladded walls, but I think they've lit well with the flash.
It was really good fun, and easy to do. I was pleased with the results and am looking forward to trying the technique out further.

Thanks
Sus
Old 13th December 2008
Makonde

Thanks, Susan. Interesting - and I suspect it is not as easy as that! Maybe others who have tried second curtain flash could add some tips? I've only seen it used for the cliche shot of trailing car tail-lights connected to a car. In those circumstances, it's dark all around and about so you have hardly any available light on your subject. Thinking aloud, it seems to me that the more available light on the subject, the more likely the shot will be blurred with a long exposure. Your shot had a splendid range of movement and light on the glass while your subject, who looked a real pub 'goer' of the kind one chats up (if I may say so LOL), was remarkably clear and the overall exposure was very good.

Your description prompts me to wonder whether by chance you hit on ideal circumstances with the dark booth (the sides of which also absorbed the flash as it bounced) and I bet when I get round to trying this technique it doesn't work for me nearly as well!

Maybe 'second curtain' is a possible theme for one of the challenges next year?
Old 13th December 2008
Makonde

I must say, I liked so many of the entries. Thea's (Outside looking in) was one very classy shot IMO - a refined reflection with the pumps showing through and lovely restrained harmonious colours, and the more I looked at it the more I liked it. I also loved the colours and the clarity of AndyM's and the presence of the barman in the background gave it some humanity.
Old 13th December 2008

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

congratulations to all - some colourfull entries.

interesting that the inside shots walked all over the outside ones - a reflection of the current weather maybe?
Old 13th December 2008

Liked 1,008 Times in 299 Posts

Mine was taken in the Princess Louise at Holborn.Well worth a visit as it has been restored in the last year and is now as it was with small snugs and lots of glass pannels.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...Louise/Holborn

There was not a lot of light in the pub and mine was taken at ISO1600 at f3.5 hence the lack of DOF.
Shame about the blown highlights on the mirror and the lamp.
It was run through Neat Image but still seems quite sharp and with lots of detail to me.

Well done everyone especially Makonde and Susan.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Last edited by andym; 13th December 2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 13th December 2008
Makonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
It was run through Neat Image but still seems quite sharp and with lots of detail to me.
That really is a good demo of the E3 at high ISO. (I don't have Neat Image, just a bit of freeware, but that is remarkably clear and sharp with great colours)
Old 13th December 2008

Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts

Well done Keith, Susan and Andy.

Congratulations.

Regards. Barr1e

Last edited by Barr1e; 13th December 2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 13th December 2008

Liked 741 Times in 260 Posts

It is not often one feels disappointed but I must say I had high hopes of a placing. Anne and I were given almost freedom - with a minder - to ensure health and safety conditions were met (thanks for that). It is rare for me to take a shot and feel that's the one as I did with the vats.

Never mind onwards and upwards - I guess I'll have to wait until next year for a goody bag!

Now in the true spirit of things here is my way of thanking the brewery.

http://http://www.tringbrewery.co.uk/home.html

Death or Glory 7.2%abv

I have been supping their ales for some time and my two favourites are Ridgeway and Side Pocket.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 13th December 2008

Liked 1,008 Times in 299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
It is not often one feels disappointed but I must say I had high hopes of a placing. Anne and I were given almost freedom - with a minder - to ensure health and safety conditions were met (thanks for that). It is rare for me to take a shot and feel that's the one as I did with the vats.

Never mind onwards and upwards - I guess I'll have to wait until next year for a goody bag!

Now in the true spirit of things here is my way of thanking the brewery.

http://http://www.tringbrewery.co.uk/home.html

Death or Glory 7.2%abv

I have been supping their ales for some time and my two favourites are Ridgeway and Side Pocket.

Regards. Barr1e
You lucky person.I'm a big fan of their beer also.

Hope they gave you a sample at the end

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 13th December 2008

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

A worthy winner :-) Well done everyone!!

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 15th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congratulations to the first second and third, they're very well taken pictures

It was hard to choose who to vote for.

Barr1e, thanks for the other pictures, what a lovely trip that was for you, and thanks to the winners for your explanations