Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 25th May 2009
eunosben

Geotagging

I was just wondering if any of you have tried using a geotagging device and which one is the best?
Old 25th May 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,308 Times in 772 Posts
Re: Geotagging

Never seen a need for it. The one and only time I was ever asked, I simply looked up the Locn on Google Map

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 25th May 2009
eunosben

I thought about it as I'm going on holiday soon and I'm seeing a fair few locations so thought it may make life a little easier.
Old 25th May 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,308 Times in 772 Posts

My little mju1030 has "voice notes" capability which I sometimes use to help me remember things (get milk on the way home )

Personally I'd sooner use a note book and spend the money towards a good lens.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 25th May 2009
eunosben

lol fair point I do need some new glass. Cheers for the advice
Old 25th May 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Unless for some reason you need the 'very' exact location I've never really understood the need for geotagging.

If I'm doing a lot of shots on a card over several locations I just include a tag shot (signpost, distinctive feature, note scrawled on a scrap of paper. Doesn't need to be a good photo - just something to clue my memory

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 25th May 2009

Liked 384 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunosben View Post
I was just wondering if any of you have tried using a geotagging device and which one is the best?
I use a Garmin Vista HCx handheld GPS whilst hillwalking etc.. Once back home I download the tracklog from the GPS and then use Geosetter (freeware for Windows PC) to Geotag my photos.

For most accurate results be sure to synchronise your camera's time settings with the GPS clock before you start.

See http://www.geosetter.de/en/index.html for more details.

HTH
Old 26th May 2009

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
I use a Garmin Vista HCx handheld GPS whilst hillwalking etc..
I have often thought of doing something like that too. I take a lot of landscape shots including mountains and lochs. The lochs are easy to identify but the mountains can be very difficult. I have spent a lot of time deciphering contour lines (on OS maps) and deciding which peak is which. Geotagging, with a handheld GPS, would be useful but it only tells you where you are standing not where your camera is pointing.

Last edited by fitheach; 26th May 2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 26th May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitheach View Post
I have often thought of doing something like that too. I take a lot of landscape shots including mountains and lochs. The lochs are easy to identify but the mountains can be very difficult. I have spent a lot of time deciphering contour lines (on OS maps) and deciding which peak is which. Geotagging, with a handheld GPS, would be useful but it only tells you where you are standing not where your camera is pointing.
In my experience once you know exactly where you were standing when the picture was taken then, with the aid of an OS Explorer map it usually is fairly straightforward to identify which feature the camera was facing (especially so if the pic contains more than one peak).

Its also worth mentioning that with Geosetter you can easily create a GoogleEarth KMZ file. This provides an overlay which superimposes the track and your pictures on GoogleEarth in the locations where they were taken. You can then 'fly' around in GoogleEarth to help resolve any remaining doubts about the subject of the picture.
Old 26th May 2009

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
In my experience once you know exactly where you were standing when the picture was taken then, with the aid of an OS Explorer map it usually is fairly straightforward to identify which feature the camera was facing (especially so if the pic contains more than one peak).
Gwyver.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it,
is to identify the larger peak on the right. I took the snap below when I was out walking on Sunday and my exact location was NN 354 786 (OS Grid reference).

Old 27th May 2009

Quote:
Gwyver.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it,
is to identify the larger peak on the right. I took the snap below when I was out walking on Sunday and my exact location was NN 354 786 (OS Grid reference).

At a guess - since I don't have any maps of the Highlands - it is Beinn a'Chaorainn.
Old 27th May 2009

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
At a guess - since I don't have any maps of the Highlands - it is Beinn a'Chaorainn.
Mission accomplished!

Well done, but how did you manage it without a map - Google?

eunosben

As Gwyver mentioned the Garmin series I consulted the Garmin feature comparison* matrix and noticed some of the models have an electronic compass. Your position plus a compass reading would give you precise identification. Some of the more expensive Garmin models have maps which would make it even easier.

* The feature comparison is for the US models but I believe the UK models are similar but with UK maps.
Old 27th May 2009

Quote:
Mission accomplished!

Well done, but how did you manage it without a map - Google?

eunosben

As Gwyver mentioned the Garmin series I consulted the Garmin feature comparison* matrix and noticed some of the models have an electronic compass. Your position plus a compass reading would give you precise identification. Some of the more expensive Garmin models have maps which would make it even easier.

* The feature comparison is for the US models but I believe the UK models are similar but with UK maps.
Thanks.
I used a combination of:- the online Get-A-Map feature on the OS website, GoogleEarth, and noticing the lengthy hill shadows on your photo and guessing that you probably took this in the evening (rather than early in the morning) - hence the sun was in the west and so you were facing roughly northwards.

BTW, the electronic compass feature is basically just a fallback, in case the GPS temporarily loses satellite reception - as used to occur with earlier models when under heavy tree cover. The compass headings are not recorded in the track log. Some folk reckon that if they set the track log recording interval to a 1 second they can deduce the bearing by calculation between successive log entries. This technique is optimistic and very error prone.
Regards,
Old 27th May 2009

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
I used a combination of:- the online Get-A-Map feature on the OS website, GoogleEarth, and noticing the lengthy hill shadows on your photo and guessing that you probably took this in the evening (rather than early in the morning) - hence the sun was in the west and so you were facing roughly northwards.
"Elementary, my dear Watson"