Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 22nd July 2009

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Question E1 to E3, please advise

I have been wrestling with this problem for weeks now and need advice. I am the proud owner of an E1 body with an HLD2 grip, 14-54, 50-200, 50 macro with ex tube plus an FL50 flash, my question is should I upgrade to an E3 body, will all the above kit bar the HLD2 work with same, will I notice the diference in my pictures for an outlay of at least 900. I love my E1 and have been using it for approx four years and reckon the E system beats the rest hands down. I look forward to other members comments.
Old 22nd July 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: E1 to E3, please advise

I've got both cameras. I prefer the ergonomics of the E1, but the bigger viewfinder, articulated LCD, image stabilisation and extra pixels make E3 a good upgrade in many respects.

However it has been about a while – I haven't a clue if it's due for replacement anytime soon.

As far as I know the rest of your gear will work.

Is it worth upgrading? I suppose you need to ask yourself what will you be able to do with the E3 that you can't do with the E1. If you can't come up with 900 of reasons, you don't need to upgrade.
Old 22nd July 2009
Archphoto

Nobody knows when the E4 shall be announced, so that is the waiting game now.
Expect the E4 to have many goodies of the past "upgrades" within the system, like the new processor of the Pen, a 12Mpix sensor and so on.

As long as your E1 is still going strong: do keep it and wait for the E4 and even than: keep the E1 as a back-up.

Peter
Old 22nd July 2009

Liked 310 Times in 214 Posts

As well as what has already mentioned, which are great features the higher resolution will allow greater crops than you are probably used to with your E-1. I have never had an E-1 (just played with one) but the E-3 is a damn fine camera and worthy of the glass that you already have.

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 23rd July 2009
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

E-3 noise is also lower (but the shutter noise isn't).
Old 23rd July 2009

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD View Post
I've got both cameras. I prefer the ergonomics of the E1, but the bigger viewfinder, articulated LCD, image stabilisation and extra pixels make E3 a good upgrade in many respects.

However it has been about a while – I haven't a clue if it's due for replacement anytime soon.

As far as I know the rest of your gear will work.

Is it worth upgrading? I suppose you need to ask yourself what will you be able to do with the E3 that you can't do with the E1. If you can't come up with 900 of reasons, you don't need to upgrade.
Your comments along with the others are most welcome. I suppose what I am really asking is will the increase from 5 to 10 megapixels be 900 well spent and will I be able to see the diference for this considerable outlay, regards to all, Ian W.
Old 23rd July 2009
mike_j

Do you actually need the weather sealing? If not, why not consider the E-30 which has a newer sensor, various upgrades since the E3 and costs rather less? Or even the E620 which seems to me the best of the bunch in terms of features, build and value for money.
Old 23rd July 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,118 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

That depends on the answer to the question - do you print? And if so, to what size?
The IS offered by the E-3 is a worthy upgrade, but if you are accustomed to shooting without shake with your current kit, then you may well manage without it. However, it does allow longer shutter speeds/lower ISO/ wider apertures when hand-held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPWheatley View Post
I suppose what I am really asking is will the increase from 5 to 10 megapixels be 900 well spent and will I be able to see the diference for this considerable outlay, regards to all, Ian W.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd July 2009

Liked 804 Times in 303 Posts

I have the E1 and E3 but hardly use the E1. It is there in case the E3 conks out.
I do have the SWD (?) lenses so that makes a difference in focussing but I would have it for the articulated screen and IS.
Although, the E 330 was good too.....
Old 23rd July 2009
EH1

Wink Re: E1 to E3, please advise

I think we are so close to an E-3 replacement now, that you might as well hold on to your E-1 until the replacement is out, then decide if you want to buy the newer version & if not, then go & get an E-3 (which by this time will be about 600 as it is an old model). However if you can`t wait, then the E-3 is a great camera of which I own 2!
Old 23rd July 2009
EH1

Wink Re: E1 to E3, please advise

[QUOTE=StephenL;47578]That depends on the answer to the question - do you print? And if so, to what size?
Do some people not print their pictures then I am amazed if this is true as I find the finished print the most satisfying part of photography! I would be very interested to know what other people think?............sorry to sidetrack the thread
Old 23rd July 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,118 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Some people (not me!) only use photographs for online display and sharing. What IS the world coming to?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd July 2009
Rod Souter

[quote=EH1;47588]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
That depends on the answer to the question - do you print? And if so, to what size?
Do some people not print their pictures then I am amazed if this is true as I find the finished print the most satisfying part of photography! I would be very interested to know what other people think?............sorry to sidetrack the thread
I rarely print, mainly due to the fact I do not think my photos are worthy (yet)!

Rod
Old 23rd July 2009

Liked 310 Times in 214 Posts

My main outlet for my images is the photographic society that I belong to. That is why I print. If I was not a member of a group then I may well not print at all.

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 23rd July 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,177 Posts
Liked 1,445 Times in 667 Posts

I personally think that you don't see the full essence of a photograph if it isn't printed, and printed reasonably large, not 6x4, but A4, at least. I did some A2 prints the other day and they (I modestly say) looked glorious and much better than on-screen.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com